• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kirby Allison dropped a new video on YouTube going over his shoe collection. Good overview of his bespoke shoes. He mentioned in the comment section that his G&G shoes with Daniel when he was still with them aware abandoned when Daniel left. Kirby is going to commission with Tony once travel opens back up.

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't even know if you buy woven leather as a material or does the marker do the weave?

Yes, woven leather by the metre gets offered by by several Italian tanneries. Maftei shouldn't have any problems sourcing it. Kolde Leder (leather merchant) in Vienna stocks it in a width of 60 cm in a various colours (maybe also different weaves/designs, but I don't know that). But I'm sure, there will be other suppliers.

One thing you should consider: shoes from woven leather might not be as light as you hope. If you have ever had a woven belt, you'll know they do stretch to kingdom come. The same thing will apply for shoes, I would imagine they will lose their shape pretty quickly unless they get stabilised. You will need a liner and this one might have to be glued all over to the woven leather to act as a backer. Wider strips will be more stable than narrow ones.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now that he has managed to make a loafer last that works for my foot, I think I want a woven loafer. Anybody have any they particularly like the style of to give me some ideas?

Personally don't like the very "classic" versions, such as the stuff you see from AE. I feel like, when worn with classic clothes -- chinos, sport coats, etc -- it just ends up looking a bit dated in a bad way.

719VBhsLxNS._AC_UL1500_.jpg
BKF_6283.jpg
ghbas803062_403973_jb.jpg

These below can be OK, but I think they only go well with very specific outfits, and getting them bespoke seems like an expensive proposition for such a limited shoe.

RK16316-4.jpg

Personally, if I were to get a pair of woven loafers, I'd just get raffia loafers or something. Can be worn with shorts, chinos, or linen pants. Long-sleeved knit top or a vacation-style shirt.

1334916_6_large.jpg

marlinspike

Reaction score
I'm thinking the coarseness is the second one you posted but a solid strap and a solid heel.
And bespoke is the only thing I can wear.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm thinking the coarseness is the second one you posted but a solid strap and a solid heel.
And bespoke is the only thing I can wear.

You mean like this?

7f5b1d04588a95e9cf0eae3cc0e48698.jpg

Personally not into that look. I think it's a bit too Ben Silver/ AAAC for me.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Maybe the same idea, but a much much wider weave, like 4 strips for the entire top of the toebox wide

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm I did mean like that but now I'm rethinking.

Maybe the same idea, but a much much wider weave, like 4 strips for the entire top of the toebox wide

Hm, it's hard for me to imagine that design. Four strips for the top sounds like it would look odd.

I suppose this gets into one of the problems with bespoke shoes. I often find myself getting versions of things I often wear in ready-to-wear because I know I will like it. If I make modifications, they are very small.

I suppose, for almost any sort of classic tailored outfit where one can imagine wearing a woven loafer, I would just opt for a classic loafer (penny or tassel). It's just something I'm familiar with and can see how that design will fit into a wardrobe. So something like EG's Picadilly, for example, which I find goes really well with tailored trousers and sport coats.

atn1024_eg piccadilly 2.jpg

marlinspike

Reaction score
I suppose, for almost any sort of classic tailored outfit where one can imagine wearing a woven loafer, I would just opt for a classic loafer (penny or tassel). It's just something I'm familiar with and can see how that design will fit into a wardrobe. So something like EG's Picadilly, for example, which I find goes really well with tailored trousers and sport coats.

It's like you don't even want to be Don Johnson.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New in! Bespoke austerity brogues by Catella Shoemaker, the brand of bespoke shoemaker Daniel Wegan, previously head of the bespoke department at Gaziano & Girling and world champion in shoemaking in 2019. They are made in a medium brown patina on a last with a soft square toe, with a single leather sole and a slim bevelled waist, 14 spi (stitches per inch) sole stitch, etc. A bunch of photos below, much much more pics and info on them in this article on the blog.

DSC02318.jpg

DSC02567.jpg

DSC02739.jpg

DSC02753.jpg

DSC02787.jpg

DSC02572.jpg

DSC02838.jpg

DSC02479.jpg

DSC02514.jpg

DSC02637.jpg

DSC02869.jpg

DSC02928.jpg

DSC02899.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New in! Bespoke austerity brogues by Catella Shoemaker, the brand of bespoke shoemaker Daniel Wegan, previously head of the bespoke department at Gaziano & Girling and world champion in shoemaking in 2019. They are made in a medium brown patina on a last with a soft square toe, with a single leather sole and a slim bevelled waist, 14 spi (stitches per inch) sole stitch, etc. A bunch of photos below, much much more pics and info on them in this article on the blog.

View attachment 1568529

View attachment 1568530

View attachment 1568531

View attachment 1568532

View attachment 1568533

View attachment 1568534

View attachment 1568535

View attachment 1568536

View attachment 1568537

View attachment 1568538

View attachment 1568539

View attachment 1568540

View attachment 1568541

Beautiful finishing on these. What I enjoy even more is NOT seeing a fiddleback on these beautiful shoes.
???

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@j ingevaldsson
I'm probably biasedly thinking this but Eiji Murata's last shape seems to fit your feet more appropriately. Fit in terms of stylistically and proportionally versus comfort levels.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great

Cheers!

Beautiful finishing on these. What I enjoy even more is NOT seeing a fiddleback on these beautiful shoes.
???
@j ingevaldsson
I'm probably biasedly thinking this but Eiji Murata's last shape seems to fit your feet more appropriately. Fit in terms of stylistically and proportionally versus comfort levels.

Yeah, sometimes that's the best, a quite moderate bevelled waist.

You are probably right in that regard, however I do love a good chiseled toe last so will likely continue to have makers try to fit my feet into them ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads