• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, I don't put a lot of weight in Simon's shoe reviews esp compared with his review on suits. It doesn't seem like he is as obsessive about shoes. By a simple measure, consider many more photos are on shoegazing shoe reviews. I personally find that pair of double monks to look disappointing but as long as Simon likes them...
When I first saw that post from Simon, first thing I noticed was those bespoke shoes have a **** ton of wrinkles in the leather. Do they even fit him properly?

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first saw that post from Simon, first thing I noticed was those bespoke shoes have a **** ton of wrinkles in the leather. Do they even fit him properly?
I also remember the pair of Ascot Vass cordovan derbies he commissioned which was an ugly design choice and they didn't make the right size. And I felt the GC reindeer monks were noticeably worse than that

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's made from reindeer leather, where the "low quality" is considered a feature and not a bug.

I know Simon doesn't plan to go back to GC.

I personally think there's limited value in "review culture." This is especially true of bespoke, where one person's experience may not accurately reflect another's. I've seen good and bad things come out of the same shop. That said, I think Simon does that type of writing best and think he's done a great job of bringing new people into this hobby. I also think Simon has a much fuller and more nuanced view of "review culture" than some of his readers.

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, I don't put a lot of weight in Simon's shoe reviews esp compared with his review on suits. It doesn't seem like he is as obsessive about shoes. By a simple measure, consider many more photos are on shoegazing shoe reviews. I personally find that pair of double monks to look disappointing but as long as Simon likes them...

Yeah he is clearly more interested in and more knowledgable in clothing, which of course is common and can be hard to go really deep into several areas. I for one don't know **** about clothing, I stick to shoes ?

It's made from reindeer leather, where the "low quality" is considered a feature and not a bug.

I know Simon doesn't plan to go back to GC.

I personally think there's limited value in "review culture," although I think Simon does that type of writing best and think he's done a great job of bringing new people into this hobby. Personally, clothing reviews, construction breakdowns, and technical discussions leave me cold. I think of clothing as a much more sociological and emotional thing, not captured well in "reviews."

This is especially true of bespoke, where one person's experience may not accurately reflect another's. I've seen good and bad things come out of the same shop.

Although, will say, I also think Simon has a much fuller and more nuanced view of "review culture" than some of his readers.

I have high respect for Simon's reviews in general, they are way better and more "objective" than almost all you can find online. Which is why I don't really follow the path that those shoes have had on PS.

ygtyf

Reaction score
Yeah he is clearly more interested in and more knowledgable in clothing, which of course is common and can be hard to go really deep into several areas. I for one don't know **** about clothing, I stick to shoes ?

I have high respect for Simon's reviews in general, they are way better and more "objective" than almost all you can find online. Which is why I don't really follow the path that those shoes have had on PS.

OK, so I am not the only person feeling the pattern of Simon's monks looked like it was created on a pair of larger lasts and then put on his last.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210108-115053_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210108-115035_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20201230-111214_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200814-152131_Instagram.jpg

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those all look to nice to be customer shoes. Those have to be samples.

Nah the problem isn't that Cleverley can't make great shoes, it's that they let through too much stuff that isn't good. It's a bit of a hit and miss for customers, that's the problem.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
really annoying that "they can do it" but just "couldn't care less"

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My impression is that they have different "assembly lines." If your shoes go down one route, they can be fine. If they go down another route, they can be bad. This is why I brought up my supposed maker to Senior, and asked if my remake can be assigned to different people.

I've heard they're the largest bespoke shoemaker in London in terms of volume. So perhaps there just aren't enough qualified, skilled people to keep up with orders.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My impression is that they have different "assembly lines." If your shoes go down one route, they can be fine. If they go down another route, they can be bad. This is why I brought up my supposed maker to Senior, and asked if my remake can be assigned to different people.

I've heard they're the largest bespoke shoemaker in London in terms of volume. So perhaps there just aren't enough qualified, skilled people to keep up with orders.

and I guess no final qc, it just go down one route straight to customer...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics