• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shackletonian

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid remark, but if you can afford high-end bespoke, why not just go for the best available, instead of the big names? I understand some are not traveling, so harder to use, but Nicholas Templeman is traveling to USA, correct? And he is, correct me if I am wrong, one of the best in the industry. I am sure the best would be to use 4 different makers, with their best shapes, but my word, NT is showing only the best of the best, in both shape, fit (as far as you can see on pictures and finishing. Not my range, if only, but still.

Look, for the bigger audience, not being completely autistic like us, i can imagine the big brands are an easy go, but if you are so close to the best and you this is your passion, use people like NT and your are done for the rest of your life.

I tried GC because I had good experiences with the RTW, some other orders, and some smaller orders (a MTO wallet that turned out very nicely.). I didn’t think this would go so badly and they had taken care of me up to that point in service and product.

So, it’s a combination of prior good experiences, expectation that a firm should have a modicum level of quality control, and lack of awareness of all the other options with timing, too

Last edited:

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that you have nothing to be embarrassed, shamed or any of that. This was not your fault and not something you would have anticipated. Disclaimer here that I have no bespoke shoes.

From a couple of years ago, watching Kirby Allisons videos on his GC shoes and how he raved about them, i had thought to myself wow, if i were to ever get a pair of bespoke, GC might be a good place to go to. From the interactions with SR, Jr, Adam and the whole crew i would have thought the entire shoe gets made there and that everything would be professional. I would have never imagined any of these issues if not for this thread.

Not to get on my wife too much, but if she was as thoughtful as your wife, I would have probably been in your situation as well. Again, i just wanted to say for the amount you paid for them, you should definitely go back to them with it and tell them this is not acceptable. Doesn't matter if the leather is rare and expensive for a remake, that is not your problem. They're willing to sell that leather, so they should be prepared to remake/fix it.

Your post is probably a reason that many people who have bad experiences don’t bother posting or writing about it. People already feel bad about the experience; they’re disappointed, and then they see other people bestow uninformed judgement against them and mocking them.
You don’t know that I saved for a year or two to get some shoes. That I take excellent care of my shoes so they last a long time. That I began having foot pain and sensitivity to shoes that don’t fit well. That my fiancée agreed to the shoes because she wanted me to get something really nice and that I’d wear to our wedding and thought this would be nicer and in place of a vacation or two.

the cost of them wound up being higher than I anticipated. I obviously didn’t know how they would turn out. I went to GC because I had some AC that were very nice and didn’t know much more and thought that, liking some of their RTW line, even if they didn’t produce it, they have decent enough QC to make sure that the shoes meet a level of acceptability.

I assure you, my own disappointment outstrips your joy in mockery. I posted here because I had hoped they would be wonderful shoes but found that there were laughably bad and that they could be mocked. Mockery of the buyer seems a poor game. Mock the shoes, sure. Mocking a user, that’s meanspirited

And, in case you’re wondering, I subsequently did start a pair elsewhere with another maker on the list. But that’s not the point here, is it?

shackletonian

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that you have nothing to be embarrassed, shamed or any of that. This was not your fault and not something you would have anticipated. Disclaimer here that I have no bespoke shoes.

From a couple of years ago, watching Kirby Allisons videos on his GC shoes and how he raved about them, i had thought to myself wow, if i were to ever get a pair of bespoke, GC might be a good place to go to. From the interactions with SR, Jr, Adam and the whole crew i would have thought the entire shoe gets made there and that everything would be professional. I would have never imagined any of these issues if not for this thread.

Not to get on my wife too much, but if she was as thoughtful as your wife, I would have probably been in your situation as well. Again, i just wanted to for the amoutn you paid for them, you should definitely go back to them with it and tell them this is not acceptable. Doesn't matter if the leather is rare and expensive for a remake, that is not your problem. They're willing to sell that leather, so they should be prepared to remake/fix it.

Thank you, I really appreciate that! I am with you on the Kirby Allison videos and all else. They had played a big deal in my interest in working with GC. I wish, perhaps, that when he had a negative experience with them, he had been more transparent about it and the learning process he had, particularly because of how effusive he had been in praising them and showing them as the top of the West End market. Even if just a learning process for others with less to spare.

I do want to say that GC has not said that they think that the shoes are acceptable, not explicitly. They did insofar as they shipped the shoes to me in that condition. They have offered to remake the loafers and said that they will contact the tannery about the leather. If this were the first time with the loafers, I would have obliged happily, as I did. But they came back worse than when I sent them, and I'm not sure how the leather is the tannery's fault when they shipped it to me (the customer). QC should have stopped that or raised flags. Given, too, that the fit has been off and the fix on the alligator shoes was not a positive for me, I'm also not confident that remaking them will result in a shoe that fits well absent another fitting and significantly more time and money.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I really appreciate that! I am with you on the Kirby Allison videos and all else. They had played a big deal in my interest in working with GC. I wish, perhaps, that when he had a negative experience with them, he had been more transparent about it and the learning process he had, particularly because of how effusive he had been in praising them and showing them as the top of the West End market. Even if just a learning process for others with less to spare.

I do want to say that GC has not said that they think that the shoes are acceptable, not explicitly. They did insofar as they shipped the shoes to me in that condition. They have offered to remake the loafers and said that they will contact the tannery about the leather. If this were the first time with the loafers, I would have obliged happily, as I did. But they came back worse than when I sent them, and I'm not sure how the leather is the tannery's fault when they shipped it to me (the customer). QC should have stopped that or raised flags. Given, too, that the fit has been off and the fix on the alligator shoes was not a positive for me, I'm also not confident that remaking them will result in a shoe that fits well absent another fitting and significantly more time and money.
Kirby did post awhile back that his relationship with GJC has run its course and that he doesn't plan on using them again. Jesper mentioned some of the backstory between Kirby and GJC which most likely led to Kirby moving on from them.

Now Kirby uses Dominic Casey and Catella. Based on Kirby's videos, he's used Dimitri Gomez (not a fan of his shoes), GJC (no need to rehash that), Dominic Casey (seems to be his preferred maker), G&G (not sure if this has ever been completed since he started the process with Daniel), and Catella (still a WIP).

shackletonian

Reaction score
Kirby did post awhile back that his relationship with GJC has run its course and that he doesn't plan on using them again. Jesper mentioned some of the backstory between Kirby and GJC which most likely led to Kirby moving on from them.

Now Kirby uses Dominic Casey and Catella. Based on Kirby's videos, he's used Dimitri Gomez (not a fan of his shoes), GJC (no need to rehash that), Dominic Casey (seems to be his preferred maker), G&G (not sure if this has ever been completed since he started the process with Daniel), and Catella (still a WIP).

Thanks. I saw KA's reference to his relationship with GJC coming to an end - that happened while I was in the middle of the process with my own order, so I was shocked, especially because he used to do videos proudly showcasing his GJC collection. I hadn't seen @j ingevaldsson explanation or reference to backstory.

Looking back, my goodness! That was 1.5 years ago (July 2019)! Oh, if only I could go back and talk to myself a few hundred pages ago on the thread.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I doubt people would come out and post a youtube video to disavow prior relationship, and you kind have to put in where the old video is otherwise it might not show up, so I guess the due diligence process is a lot more than it has to be...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I saw KA's reference to his relationship with GJC coming to an end - that happened while I was in the middle of the process with my own order, so I was shocked, especially because he used to do videos proudly showcasing his GJC collection. I hadn't seen @j ingevaldsson explanation or reference to backstory.

Looking back, my goodness! That was 1.5 years ago (July 2019)! Oh, if only I could go back and talk to myself a few hundred pages ago on the thread.

I just want to mention that Kirby never confirmed or denied Jesper's story. He sort of just talked around it and preferred not to air dirty laundry on a public forum. However, it does seem more likely than not that Jesper's story is accurate.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I actually really like his Dimitri Gomez shoes. I find the design and the overall last shape, especially the toe to be very elegant and pleasing to the eye. Compared to say the F&S shoes he got, which I didn't find to stand out much. Personal preference tho of course.

If what Jesper said was true, then I think you have to give credit to Kirby for taking the high road and moving on. It'd be easy for him to air it out in a video or in this thread about the pettiness or unprofessionalism of GC. The downside is that with all the praise he's given them, it gave the impression that they could do no wrong.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he is a business owner after all, can't see any good coming out from saying that publicly

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually really like his Dimitri Gomez shoes. I find the design and the overall last shape, especially the toe to be very elegant and pleasing to the eye. Compared to say the F&S shoes he got, which I didn't find to stand out much. Personal preference tho of course.
I've seen some of Dimitri's designs posted on instagram and the proportions just don't look right to me. Kirby never really talks about his Dimitri shoes like he did with GJC, DC, and FS.

I totally forgot about his FS. I can't remember if he commissioned a pair from JLSJ. I know he got measured but not sure if he started the process. Kirby has used quite a few makers.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember going to FS when I was still in London, their shoes don't stand out in the aggressive ways, I suppose it's harder to be eye catching in that way these days (all I remember was that black turn grey through sunlight thing)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid remark, but if you can afford high-end bespoke, why not just go for the best available, instead of the big names?

I mean, people are only able to know who are the better makers through an open discussion. People obviously don't choose subpar makers on purpose. They don't buy something knowing that it will turn out poorly. It's through open discussion that people learn who are the companies to avoid.

Dude, you got WAY TOO MUCH money to waste. Thousands and thousands for those hideous things.

Mother of God.

What a seriously dumb, senseless, and pointless remark.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, people are only able to know who are the better makers through an open discussion. People obviously don't choose subpar makers on purpose. They don't buy something knowing that it will turn out poorly. It's through open discussion that people learn who are the companies to avoid.
Convenience played a big factor for me. If you don't live in NYC, Chicago, SF, or LA it's hard to try some of the other makers.

I went with Huntsman and JLP as my first bespoke commissions because JLP has a boutique in Houston while Huntsman regularly travels to Houston. Not having to travel to do fittings is a huge cost and time saver.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads