• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those LV bags with the printed LV logo all over the fake leather, you’re probably getting a better quality version when you go bootleg

Spent a few weeks with a shoemaker who also had some LV bags customers wanted repaired. Said the same thing when pointing out that the fake leather had melted in some spots.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't know how anyone on the street nowadays would be able to tell. There are super fakes that are almost indistinguishable from the real thing unless you put them under a loupe.

Same with bags. There are "super fakes" for bags that are basically identical to the real thing, including Hermes bags made from the same Hermes leathers and even by the same Hermes workers.

well, I suppose rolex is a bad example given its popularity (thus the number of people who want to fake it) though for example I knew my nanny's rolex was real because I took her and her husband to the rolex store on Madison Ave..., at their request (I wasn't about to recommend grey market in case they end up with fake...)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
well, I suppose rolex is a bad example given its popularity (thus the number of people who want to fake it) though for example I knew my nanny's rolex was real because I took her and her husband to the rolex store on Madison Ave..., at their request (I wasn't about to recommend grey market in case they end up with fake...)

I get around this by wearing SWD brands that are so ugly that no one would dare rip them off.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was RJ, but yes, its a very delicate thing to do, that requires a certain amount of finesse.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
think he was replying to many many pages back regarding to trying to get bespoke client pay bills

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps I have said it enough times (but it bears repeating) that like @ecwy Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you criticize.
An interesting complication for a problem like this.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For me...and my teacher.and a lot of other makers...the rule of thumb is: "Any colour is fine as long as it is black."
Nat Herreshoff had a similar thought about yachts. "There are two colors you can paint a boat, and only a damned fool would paint his black."

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why @ntempleman is one of the best bespoke shoemakers out there. On the left is the first pair of shoes he made for me back when he was starting out. We had to do some measurements remotely due to my travel schedule yet the shoes fit better than ones I've had made by other makers. I wore them frequently and really enjoyed them, yet Nick insisted on remaking them to make them perfect. The result is on the right. Fantastic! Thanks Nick! Looking forward to the loafers!!

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice!
The new pair looks much sleeker.

Did you have a lot of room in the first pair?
How did the second compare to the first?

I've had many pair of shoes made by Nick subsequent to that first pair, so my last has had refinements that benefit this most recent pair. The initial pair are very comfortable but I agree less leek. I still love them. They actually remind me of shoes I had made at JL St. James which IMO have a place in anyone's rotation. Ironically Nick actually made my last while he was employed there!

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah that wasn’t me who made your last at Lobb. I think Steve Lowe was your fitter if i remember correctly

That's so funny, I thought it was you all these years. Steve took my initial measurements but left shortly thereafter and subsequent fittings were done by William Lobb who I assumed doesn't do any lastmaking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics