• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One should order GC’s and then return them. When asked why the answer should be this ************* junior running the company!! This type of communication and attitude is unacceptable to say the least!! GC going down for sure!!!

hkoldguy

Reaction score
One should order GC’s and then return them. When asked why the answer should be this ************* junior running the company!! This type of communication and attitude is unacceptable to say the least!! GC going down for sure!!!
I am sure if someone takes the time to write to its reseller to complain, GC will go down in some way.
This type of response affect the company (and it’s resellers) images

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I hear about people becoming best friends with their shoemakers and tailors, I think of my experiences with guys like the two Georges. Even in the early stages, there was something about George that I found offputting. I mean, I'm there to buy shoes, not make friends, so it's not a big deal. But he gives off a very chummy kind of vibe that I don't care for. Also talked about famous people, rich clients, and exclusive clubs, which I also don't care about. I can't imagine sitting through dinner like that.

I remember at one trunk show, he told me that Foster clients come to him because they don't consider Foster to be a "real" bespoke British shoe company. The reason was because the lastmaker is Japanese. I thought it was such a strange comment to say to an Asian person (and he knew I was Asian because this was in-person, not on the phone). He even told the story to me twice. I remember thinking, "am I supposed to think that Foster is somehow less than great because a Japanese woman makes their last?"
You’re Asian?!? This changes things!!!!!

WilYa

Reaction score
It’s Glasgow JR who writes like that, he often brings up how one must be miserable without wife and friends when you ask questions about their shoes they can’t answer, since they are tangled up in lies. Happened to me several times.
mama mia

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Akira Tani, Florence

Akira Tani - Tuscan colour string penny loafer in nubuck grain.jpg

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason was because the lastmaker is Japanese. I thought it was such a strange comment to say to an Asian person (and he knew I was Asian because this was in-person, not on the phone). He even told the story to me twice. I remember thinking, "am I supposed to think that Foster is somehow less than great because a Japanese woman makes their last?"

This is crazy (but not surprised coming from GC) - the majority of their makers or outsourced workers are Japanese! They even send shoes by mail to Japan for bottom work and pay a pittance. Such double standards.

TN001

Reaction score
It’s really too bad. I love the Rake, and the resurgence many heritage brands were having (pre-Covid anyway), but I can’t help but wonder if this new faux fame has made monsters of a few of the merchants that lacked the demeanor to deal with a bit of recognition.

There is a psychological dynamic in any high end merchandising where sometimes the salesman who caters to celebrities and the very rich, begins to think of himself as one of them and acts particularly poorly towards those who are not. I have seen this end badly when the salesman tries to keep up with his new friends too aggressively.

I have had so many good experiences with smaller bespoke craftspeople around St James though. People who are genuinely excited to get business from anyone who appreciates their craft.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think in terms of bespoke GC is the outlier not the norm

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now this reminds me of two meetings with Glasgow’s.

Was in London to paid a visit after walking Jermyn St, Glasgow Sr shown his passion on creating footwear for clients and designing and delivering well crafted pairs to all walks of life (if you could settle the sum). Introduced to me one of the last maker and kind of studies my slender feet that having troubles fitting with Anthony Cleverley pair. Advised to provide free re-last (?!) and suggested to contact his son during trunk show.

So i meet the Jr in Hong Kong. Expected sales tone and introduced “you should own a pair as a staircase to catch up with the hall of fame of celeb”, roughly something like this. Put down the AC pair and got a bespoke shoe faux-leather print box back home. Now put on bench to store bills.

When the pair came back, it creased like hell, which I wore it less than 5 times to weddings only. Feels like they simply stretched the pair. No feeling of re-last or heel cup tightened. Charged 100 quid. And I have to iron the crease with help of pal.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads