• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ixk

Reaction score
Makers here in Paris usually have no strong objection regarding toe-plates.
Aubercy even makes fancy looking toe-plates upon request.

They add considerable longevity imho.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful footwear! Interesting....no or very little toe spring. I have a pair of SB with a small toe spring like this and I don’t quite know how I feel about it. Does anyone have an opinion about what it does to a shoe’s silhouette? I think I love it, but I may also hate it? I dunno.

Yeah, lovely looking stuff.
Wouldn't call that no toe spring, but low, sure. When it comes to customer shoes, I know my shoes made on Daniel's lasts have about 1 cm toe spring, which is what most other lasts I've seen by him have as well.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if I even think about sweating I sweat. I am with you!

Recently I have been buying shoes from makers that install them from the start, but in the past Nick V. @ VIP Shoe Service Plus has done them for me.

I definitely think gait is part of the problem, you're correct, but I did say I walk with purpose. So much so my shoes wear out in multiple places. The ball, the big toe, and the tippy tip. Take a gander...

View attachment 1344492
just to note, these are very old shoes that have cracked in the camp and I’m just wearing them into the ground as rain shoes (bad weather today).
And you're a skinny dude! Good lord.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the triangular pen holder tool, indicated by the red arrow in the first photo, is called? And where can one obtain it? (It is from a video by Kirby Allison where Daniel Wegan measured him.)

How about the tool that looks like a pair of calipers, indicated by the orange arrow in the second photo, used to measure lengths of feet?

My apologies if this is not the right thread for my questions. But I imagine this crew likely has some knowledge in this area. Thank you!

Attachments

• wegan allison foot tracing tool.png
    wegan allison foot tracing tool.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • wegan allison foot length caliper.png
    wegan allison foot length caliper.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 46

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the triangular pen holder tool, indicated by the red arrow in the first photo, is called? And where can one obtain it? (It is from a video by Kirby Allison where Daniel Wegan measured him.)

How about the tool that looks like a pair of calipers, indicated by the orange arrow in the second photo, used to measure lengths of feet?

My apologies if this is not the right thread for my questions. But I imagine this crew likely has some knowledge in this area. Thank you!

Salaman (Dictionary of Leatherworking Tools--c.1700-1950, R.A. Salaman, George Allen and Unwin, London 1986) calls it a 'Tracing Block.' It's an old tool and simple to construct. Salaman has an illustration/schematic on pp. 153. I made my own out of a piece of scrap wood. All that is necessary is that a hole large enough to accommodate a pencil or pen be drilled at a angle such that the tip touches 'ground' in the same plane as the vertical face. The vertical face is run against the side of the foot and the pen/pencil makes a line that exactly represents the outline of the foot.

The "caliper" device is simply called a 'Size Stick or a 'stick'. You're correct, it is used to measure the length of the foot and has been around for centuries...so long, in fact, that the length of the foot itself is often called 'the stick.'

Last edited:

nevaeh

Reaction score
Salaman (Dictionary of Leatherworking Tools--c.1700-1950, R.A. Salaman, George Allen and Unwin, London 1986) calls it a 'Tracing Block.' It's an old tool and simple to construct. Salaman has an illustration/schematic on pp. 153. I made my own out of a piece of scrap wood. All that is necessary is that a hole large enough to accommodate a pencil or pen be drilled at a angle such that the tip touches 'ground' in the same plane as the vertical face. The vertical face is run against the side of the foot and the pen/pencil makes a line that exactly represents the outline of the foot.

The "caliper" device is simply called a 'Size Stick or a 'stick'. You're correct, it is used to measure the length of the foot and has been around for centuries...so long, in fact, that the length of the foot itself is often called 'the stick.'

Thank you so much for your insightful reply, DWFII. The ingenuity of skilled folks to devise simple yet elegant and efficient tools always amazes me. And it looks like I will be adding Salaman’s book to my library list. Thanks, again!

Manuel

Reaction score
The feet are perfect, the lasts are perfect, a person who does not make shoes take the measure of the foot ......... Everything is perfect here, the theory is very good but the practice ....... I would just like to know the opinion of the customers, just that ..... it would be very fun :-D
Reality is very different friends.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I never understood the benefit of the tracing block, seems like a very German-orthopaedic solution looking for a problem

Bashing the Boche, are we?

Golding in 'Boots and Shoes' (1935), Vol VIII discussing the 'tracer' in 'Drafts and Elevations' comes to the conclusion:

because the pressure on the foot can be varied by each operator at his will, but in practice such variations as is given is not of practical significance considering that the shape is given.

but any Brownie points for common sense go out of the window when he discusses in 'The latest Apparatus' monstrosities like 'Bradley's Machine' or 'The Datum Machine'.

Who wouldn't like to have a rosewood tracing block with one's initials inlaid in brass?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went to some minor trouble to make mine own...and used it seldom, despite the fact it works well.

Of far more importance to me, as a maker, is a 'pedograph', which allows me to obtain an accurate representation of the weight-on footprint. Which in turn allows me to make the insole to the foot in a way that guessing or relying entirely on girths will not...neither too wide, nor too narrow.

Unfortunately too many in the discipline that I began in and came up in, ignore the footprint altogether--relying on girth measurements and assuming that the substance of the foot overhanging the insole and the welt will not present problems. Which is, IMO, & IME, unfortunate if not a little wrong-headed.

Equally unfortunate, when I began making men's and women's shoes, and began talking to other shoemakers I found much the same indifference, if not to the same degree.

But I agree the tracing block seems somewhat superfluous although it has always been my philosophy that, for a bespoke maker, collecting more data from the foot (as opposed to collecting less) is never wrong or superfluous.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Golding in 'Boots and Shoes' (1935), Vol VIII discussing the 'tracer' in 'Drafts and Elevations' comes to the conclusion:
"because the pressure on the foot can be varied by each operator at his will, "

That's certainly true in my experience. But tio be fair, the same can be said for taking girth measurements. And that's a whole 'nuther ball of wax and of far more significance.

Who wouldn't like to have a rosewood tracing block with one's initials inlaid in brass?

Sign me up...can we get a group order?

:) ?

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me find new maker,
he called Nedelcu Marian
he make the shoe very very big and very very fat.
Look,
Nedelcu Marian bespoke shoes 1.jpg
Nedelcu Marian bespoke shoes 8.jpg

close up of braided norvegese stitch
Nedelcu Marian bespoke shoes 3.jpg

Look at this!
he not finish it,
it half finished,
he inseam and stitch upper to mid sole.
brown stitch in middle is inseaming stitch,
other two braided stitch are decorative.
It look like he add rand (bonwelt) to upper and inseam/stitch it,
and upper turned out under neath it,
he still need to trim upper and stitch mid sole to out sole.
It look very very funny but very very good.
me like it when a man do thing like that. :smarmy:
Nedelcu Marian bespoke shoes 10.jpg

He like many Italian,
he use no feather.
Me once had maker he use no feather,
he was very good.
Look,
Nedelcu Marian bespoke shoes 11.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads