• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone know what's the story behind this boot design? I've seen it come up a few times in really high-end ready-to-wear and bespoke. I think EG/ RLPL did a version. These are from John Lobb (London). Curious if there's a story behind this design. The number of seams, plus the seam placement, seems strange to me. Was this some design that came out of a war rationing period?

s-l1600.jpg

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It all begun with a classic English riding boot. But a well-fitting boot is difficult to get-into and even more difficult to get out-of. So versions with easier access, like the Field- or the Greenly boot came about in the 19th century.

Field boot.png Greenly boot,.png
The Field boot has an opening at the 'pass line', the Greenley boot's leg is open all the way and closed with straps and buckles (both samples by JLL). The featured JLL bootie is just a short version of a Field boot.

EG/RLPL used to have the 'Herrick' boot in their collection (not any more) which was a short version of the Greenley.

EG Herrick3.PNG

All the recent bespoke versions I have seen employ straps in one way or another. There is the one @poorsod had made by G&G

GG boots.jpg

or the one Jun Kuwana had made by Foster and Son

Kuwana boot3.PNG

Note:this boot hasn't got the typical riding boot seam combining front to back at the height of the heal breast.

DSCF4103.JPG

As seen here in the pattern for the boots yours truly had made. Here is the finished boot (hand stitched apron) together with the EG version (toe cap)
DSC_0002 (2).JPG

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It all begun with a classic English riding boot. But a well-fitting boot is difficult to get-into and even more difficult to get out-of. So versions with easier access, like the Field- or the Greenly boot came about in the 19th century.

View attachment 1337383 View attachment 1337384
The Field boot has an opening at the 'pass line', the Greenley boot's leg is open all the way and closed with straps and buckles (both samples by JLL). The featured JLL bootie is just a short version of a Field boot.

EG/RLPL used to have the 'Herrick' boot in their collection (not any more) which was a short version of the Greenley.

View attachment 1337418

All the recent bespoke versions I have seen employ straps in one way or another. There is the one @poorsod had made by G&G

View attachment 1337419

View attachment 1337421

Note:this boot hasn't got the typical riding boot seam combining front to back at the height of the heal breast.

View attachment 1337425

As seen here in the pattern for the boots yours truly had made. Here is the finished boot (hand stitched apron) together with the EG version (toe cap) View attachment 1337428

Wow!!!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

View attachment 1337383 View attachment 1337384

View attachment 1337418

View attachment 1337419

View attachment 1337421

View attachment 1337425

As seen here in the pattern for the boots yours truly had made. Here is the finished boot (hand stitched apron) together with the EG version (toe cap) View attachment 1337428

Thanks, Bengal! Do you know the reason for the side seam?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The ones you posted originally look a LOT like someone had their boots cut down to that height afterwards.

The side seam is a hangover from the original wellington boot, and the heel stiffener is sewn into place with it by the closer

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

I had no idea you can cut down riding boots like that, but that also makes sense.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can cut the top down anything after making, even a pair of oxfords.

The top like stitching looks slightly different to the rest of the boot, and the top eyelet is closer to the edge than any closer in their right mind would place it, it’s the general proportions being out of whack that stands out the most though. I would assume the owner wasn’t riding as much but still wanted something to wear around the paddock so brought them in for chopping down

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to the variations on this theme, I found these in and old Lobb catalog.
The Briar Boot, presumably to be worn in a literal or figurative briar patch.
ss744-briar-boot-john-lobb-bespoke-shoes-7477.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads