• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Were it thinkable/feasible to cut the last and maintain the main body adding different toe designs?
I mean that’s doable yes . Or at least that’s what I do if I have a perfect fitting last and customer ask to have a different shape . But you need to copy the last and modify the toe shape of the copied last , so you end up by having two different and you don’t loose the first one.
In this case you can modify a last shape .

If the question is if the toe shape is “switchable” between different shape anytime you want then no , you can’t .

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you need different lasts as they are a whole piece of wood / plastic so you can’t separate them .
Interesting. Each pair I’ve had made the last is cut in two parts at an angle so they can be removed when they’re finished. One maker let me unscrew the last and pull it using their last puller.

Ikkyu0108

Reaction score
I mean that’s doable yes . Or at least that’s what I do if I have a perfect fitting last and customer ask to have a different shape . But you need to copy the last and modify the toe shape of the copied last , so you end up by having two different and you don’t loose the first one.
In this case you can modify a last shape .

If the question is if the toe shape is “switchable” between different shape anytime you want then no , you can’t .
Thank you for your illuminating response!

Lasts for boots and loafers would have to be remeasured and made separately due to their different fitting nature right?

Reaction score
Thank you for your illuminating response!

Lasts for boots and loafers would have to be remeasured and made separately due to their different fitting nature right?
Your welcome !

Yes , you need different lasts for lace up / loafers and or boot . Some lastmakers prefer to build the boot on a lace up lasts but adding leather pieces to the last to make it “broader” ; but honestly I do prefer having separate last . You don’t really need to get re - measured but you definitely need to let the shoemaker know if you plan to have any boot made when taking measurements so he / she / they can eventually take calf and height measurements.

Reaction score
Interesting. Each pair I’ve had made the last is cut in two parts at an angle so they can be removed when they’re finished. One maker let me unscrew the last and pull it using their last puller.
Yes that correct . Every lasts need to have either a “cone” ( to be removed with scru) or a sort of hinge to remove it when the shoes is done .
I was referring to the fact you can switch from toe shape to another by just replacing the toe of the last !

Ps your shoemaker was really brave to let you pull last out from your shoes or you ah e been really good doing it as that part can be really tricky and we do struggle a lot sometime 😂.

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
Were it thinkable/feasible to cut the last and maintain the main body adding different toe designs?
when You get the full shoe maker bespoke service you settle on a a toe shape/design and then the last is done entirely mirroring your foot plus whatever space is needed to accommodate for swelling throughout a the day of wear. The toe designs/ shapes are implemented/carved into the shape of your bespoke last but it would have to be a new build of your last with different toe design. Toe designs are thou overrated: you don’t have to have them all … much more important is the last.

May be some crafty Italian shoe maker does something with interchangeable toe shape designs but I doubt it

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Delivery time. Went with friend to his pair’s delivery by Athanase Sephocle, winner of the 2023 shoemaking competition. Who said one shouldn’t have purple shoes for first bespoke?

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Some more photos of friend’s pair:

IMG_1832.jpeg IMG_1836.jpeg IMG_1837.jpeg IMG_1838.jpeg IMG_1840.jpeg

And some new “boring” bespoke samples 😏😏:

IMG_1834.jpeg

IMG_1848.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1845.jpeg
    IMG_1845.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 81

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

- an interesting style combination with the swan neck on the upper and chisel toe (quirky).

- he looks to be flat footed? Foot doesn't sit nicely in the shoe. Not an easy thing to fix with flat feet.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Friend insisted on having chisel. He did look at pictures of the original Constance which had roundish toe, but still opt for this.

Yes, and very sensitive feet so two fittings were done, one was by Delos.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is very educational.
Even the top masters struggle to makes shoes look great on flat feet.
Some masters even turn customers away for this reason.
My maker also had the same issue with me and we had to part ways.

marlinspike

Reaction score
A flexible flat foot can be supported, but a rigid flat foot is always going to have that crease on the side where the shoe is being crushed a bit, no?

epsilon22

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be possible to widen the waist of the shoes so that the midsoles aren't much narrower than the feet at those points?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 86 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads