• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LThomsen

Reaction score
My first two pairs of bespoke/custom made shoes. Made by a local "unknown" shoemaker in my city. The first two pairs I got made are classic black Oxfords which I can wear to office regularly. Workmanship is quite good though obviously not comparable in any way to the high end bespoke makers around the world - frankly, I do not have and do not see myself having the budget for that level of bespoke shoes ever. Price brackets are thus completely different. This is a local maker who makes entry level bespoke shoes, but with honest craftsmanship. What I really love is the glove-like fit and everything being made to personal specifications. In many ways, better than much more expensive ready to wear stuff. Some suede penny loafers with well defined chisel toes are next on the agenda - yes, I dig chisel toes !

View attachment 1671831 View attachment 1671832

View attachment 1671833
Who is the local unknown shoe maker?

basu13

Reaction score
Who is the local unknown shoe maker?

Well I live in the city of Bangalore in India. There is a guy here called Sunil, who does bespoke shoes customised to your preferences. Definitely not a globally known name of any kind, and has a very small setup - but he does good work at reasonable prices.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very nice. The length of caps is a matter of taste (Poles seem to prefer long ones, English shorter ones), but the overall shape is very lovely.

The only thing I'd investigate next would be having the quarters lace up a little more closely. Now that he's got your pattern down, that shouldn't be hard to arrange, a few millimeters at a time.

basu13

Reaction score
Very nice. The length of caps is a matter of taste (Poles seem to prefer long ones, English shorter ones), but the overall shape is very lovely.

The only thing I'd investigate next would be having the quarters lace up a little more closely. Now that he's got your pattern down, that shouldn't be hard to arrange, a few millimeters at a time.

Good point, thank you.

Perhaps because I prefer a very snug fit over the vamp, the quarters have that prominent V opening when laced up. He can probably address that in the next shoe I commission.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I live in the city of Bangalore in India. There is a guy here called Sunil, who does bespoke shoes customised to your preferences. Definitely not a globally known name of any kind, and has a very small setup - but he does good work at reasonable prices.
would be curious to see some pics actually

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not recall any discussion of Marini in Rome.
I've lusted after one of their models for years but
have neither the time nor the money to indulge.
Comments about them?

The shoes:

DSC00202.JPG

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not recall any discussion of Marini in Rome.
I've lusted after one of their models for years but
have neither the time nor the money to indulge.
Comments about them?

The shoes:

View attachment 1672324

I visited the shop back in 2017. Met with Daniele (Marini). Sounds like they prefer a Blake stitch but can do a standard handwelt.
I didn't think too much of them at the time. I wanted more details concerning their leathers and overall craftsmanship, and was told about the famous people that Maestro Marini had made for instead.

If you are based out in Rome, which I imagine you would be based on your comment, did you look into Francesco Masci? He makes shoes resembling the Marini's pictured while utilizing a similar construction. Prices are reasonable as well.

There's also Francesco's old partner Florin Ardelean who runs Calzoleria Artigiana Di Ardelean. He makes reasonably priced Bespoke shoes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like those derbies.

I believe the last for those shoes may have been made by Masahito Furuhata. He's a Japanese shoemaker who trained at Messina, and then closed his Japanese bespoke operation to work for Marini. I think he's now independent again. He has his own IG page.

A friend of mine introduced me to his work some years ago and I remember really liking the last shapes. They feel very "old school." Some of the lasts are a bit too square for my taste but when they're right, they're really good. Very elegant and tasteful.

He's the only other shoemaker I've wanted to try.

1000 (2).jpeg
1000 (1).jpeg
1000 (4).jpeg
1000 (3).jpeg

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that is definitely very squared, though feels short vs. say GC (which to me the old school ones are also quite squared but in a different way)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like those derbies.

I believe the last for those shoes may have been made by Masahito Furuhata. He's a Japanese shoemaker who trained at Messina, and then closed his Japanese bespoke operation to work for Marini. I think he's now independent again. He has his own IG page.

A friend of mine introduced me to his work some years ago and I remember really liking the last shapes. They feel very "old school" to me. Some of the lasts are a bit too square for my taste but when they're right, they're really good. Very elegant and tasteful.

He's the only other shoemaker I've wanted to try.

View attachment 1672431 View attachment 1672427 View attachment 1672429 View attachment 1672430

I thought he predominantly worked out of Milan.

I could be confusing him with someone else, of course, but I thought he worked out of the Gatto store (ie. Silvano Lattanzi) not with Marini.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought he predominantly worked out of Milan.

I could be confusing him with someone else, of course, but I thought he worked out of the Gatto store (ie. Silvano Lattanzi) not with Marini.

Hm, nutcracker mentioned the Marini connection here, but maybe that's not correct?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, nutcracker mentioned the Marini connection here, but maybe that's not correct?

May or may not be accurate ??‍♂️. I just had not heard the name associated with Marini while I was there.

Regardless and based on pictures, Furuhata does produce nice looking shoes. I'd wager they might be more than what Comrade wants to spend.

If memory serves, Marini's shoes were approaching ~3000€ about 5 years ago. Any idea what the Furuhata's sell for?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads