• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marlinspike

Reaction score
A picture, by the way. I was surprised to see the one piece heel with shell cordovan. Interestingly, I had wanted a handwelt, but had checked the wrong box in the paperwork and then there was miscommunication when I asked them to change my form. When I told him, and asked if there was enough material to change it to a handwelt on the first resole, he said he would remake the shoe for free immediately and to keep these, but then I told my wife and she said she preferred the norwegian for this shoe, and I'm starting to think she's right, so all's well that ends well no remake needed.

Attachments

• cropshoe2.jpg
    cropshoe2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 120
  • cropshoe1.jpg
    cropshoe1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:

marlinspike

Reaction score
I also like the norwegian welt with these shoes.
Coincidentally, I have one pair in the making with Mr. Maftei only in blue suede leather.

This is a recent pair he made for me.
View attachment 1596579
I fitted them with flat laces from senkels.at

Cheers

I too added senkels laces. Did you specify 6 eyelet or is that just how he does it on one of his designs?

marlinspike

Reaction score
@blueberry7
that's a lot red, what do you want to pair with

Austrians (and many other Europeans) can get away with a lot more than we can. I once had to go to the hospital in Zurich and my doctor was wearing a light colored suit and a pair of red Bally lace ups I had just seen in the store earlier that day (back in the TPG Capital ownership period)..

blueberry7

Reaction score
I too added senkels laces. Did you specify 6 eyelet or is that just how he does it on one of his designs?
Yes, the remark was directed at you to a certain extent ;)
I specified 6 eyelets because it works better with the way I like to lace my shoes.

@blueberry7
that's a lot red, what do you want to pair with
The saturation in this picture is very high. Phone picture, sorry. In reality it is much more subdued. Think ripe cherries.
I find them quite versatile, with the right shades of blues, greys, and even browns.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Looking good. I like the new shoe trees he is doing too. At first I was like man these are a big pain compared to the old spring ones, but after a couple of wears they get easy enough to use and MUCH lighter for travel.

blueberry7

Reaction score
Looking good. I like the new shoe trees he is doing too. At first I was like man these are a big pain compared to the old spring ones, but after a couple of wears they get easy enough to use and MUCH lighter for travel.
Agree, I prefer them too. I think they have always been an option at a small upcharge. At least I was given the choice at my very first commission some four or five years ago.
He may have switched to the hollowed trees completely, or maybe you got them thrown in for free as a repeat customer, who knows.

blueberry7

Reaction score
Both those pair look really fantastic. The blue pair are not bespoke, is it? Or they are, but on a different last?
Thanks.
Both pairs are bespoke for me. But the last had to be slightly modified in the front (a bit rounder) for the blue pair because of the norwegian welt, and with this came a little more room above the toes, too.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where would you start for loafers? RTW not really working out due to width differences in my feet. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads