• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Berluti shoe thread

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm envious of your menswear budget! :) I would skip the Norwegian stitching on the heels especially as a first pair. I always think of Berluti shoes with sleek lines and as such Norwegian stitching/welts just don't go with them IMO. Better to get a classic par first and then start branching out.
That’s what I am thinking too. As much as I can appreciate the craftsmanship I think I will keep it simple. In regards to the budget I am usually somewhat disciplined and one year ago I would have laughed at myself for even considering spending that kind of money but over the last couple of months I have become rather obsessed with Berluti so I am just going for it. but it’s definitely one of these purchases I can tell no one about other than wifey and talk about it anonymously to you guys. I could literally build my entire wardrobe for years to come at least in regards to shoes but where is the fun in that.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m also not a big fan of Norwegian stitching.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I am thinking too. As much as I can appreciate the craftsmanship I think I will keep it simple. In regards to the budget I am usually somewhat disciplined and one year ago I would have laughed at myself for even considering spending that kind of money but over the last couple of months I have become rather obsessed with Berluti so I am just going for it. but it’s definitely one of these purchases I can tell no one about other than wifey and talk about it anonymously to you guys. I could literally build my entire wardrobe for years to come at least in regards to shoes but where is the fun in that.
I know how you feel. I think only 4 of my friends really know how much I’ve spent on a single pair of shoes. 2 of them is because we go to Paris all the time so they tag along with me. They’ve gotten tours of the JLP and Corthay workshop by tagging along with me. They enjoy that stuff even though they would never spend that kind of money on shoes. The other 2 know just because they’re really close friends and asked me what’s the most I’ve spent. Any other friend or coworker that asks me, I just tell them “your paycheck” in a joking manner and they usually drop it from there.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know how you feel. I think only 4 of my friends really know how much I’ve spent on a single pair of shoes. 2 of them is because we go to Paris all the time so they tag along with me. They’ve gotten tours of the JLP and Corthay workshop by tagging along with me. They enjoy that stuff even though they would never spend that kind of money on shoes. The other 2 know just because they’re really close friends and asked me what’s the most I’ve spent. Any other friend or coworker that asks me, I just tell them “your paycheck” in a joking manner and they usually drop it from there.
Lol your paycheck!!! Will definitely use that line. Nice one and it’s not even a lie ;) same here maybe have two friends that kinda know how much I spent everybody else doesn’t know. At least wifey is a trooper and listens to all my Menswear talk but then she gets the bug and commissions something as well. She really loves these mad max alligator boots I posted a while ago. But they quoted $28k for the boots apparently a customer in Singapore ordered these last year (I don’t think even she has the guts to order them at least I hope so...)

papado

Reaction score

It's all love, man; no judgement here. I agree that you should take your time in building things! I'm a tad younger than you guys and I absolutely regret buying a lot of stuff at a time because you realize your preferences change or your don't realize a flaw in something which you think fits really well. You've got to try other things and dial in your choices with some reflection.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all love, man; no judgement here. I agree that you should take your time in building things! I'm a tad younger than you guys and I absolutely regret buying a lot of stuff at a time because you realize your preferences change or your don't realize a flaw in something which you think fits really well. You've got to try other things and dial in your choices with some reflection.
Very true but than again this is just a hobby. yes spending big money on things you regret buying always sucks but then again sometimes I just go for it if it feels right... at some price point there is no point in even trying to justify things. I feel like there is a ton of people that look sharper than me in suit supply and Carmina shoes (which I both also own) but there is also fun in buying beautiful things just because they are beautiful and because you appreciate the whole backstory/ craftsmanship (yes I understand it’s partially marketing especially by LVMH owned companies).

what did help me a lot was to check in here and ask for feedback in terms of fit before buying RTW shoes and especially suits - I remember a few recent potential terrible purchases that were avoided because of the feedback here.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great experience meeting Jean-Michel and his associate (I was too excited and forgot his name). Also again the city manager for Berluti in Singapore (Paul) was a real pleasure to work with. Below a few pics. I also really like JM’s Andy loafers ... very nice burgundy color, looked great with jeans...

Attachments

• 2342115D-C3EF-454D-8A96-8232D90B0784.jpeg
    2342115D-C3EF-454D-8A96-8232D90B0784.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 056B36AF-1F78-40DF-BAA5-33A9E8F431D6.jpeg
    056B36AF-1F78-40DF-BAA5-33A9E8F431D6.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 306
  • 7ABC9A41-C076-4F83-B845-91422990C665.jpeg
    7ABC9A41-C076-4F83-B845-91422990C665.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 323

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Berluti finally stopped their free polish service, as of 1 Dec 2019.

Guess some customers may become less than happy?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Berluti finally stopped their free polish service, as of 1 Dec 2019.

Guess some customers may become less than happy?
Interesting, why would they do that? but they did mention that they resole bespoke shoes free of charge if you bring them to the shop.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
The salespersons I am more familiar with hinted at the fact that some (apparently well-to-do) office workers often drop off a large number of shoes before the weekend, and requested the shoes to be shone and returned the next Monday.

When I was at the store the day before yesterday, I saw a customer stormed out of the shop, mumbling something like “this is forcing me to buy Corthay instead!”.

Given the high quality of work and amount of effort they have put into each pair of their bespoke shoes, to ensure that they last the wearer a lifetime (by offering free resole) sounds reasonable. But who knows what’s next? Under Kris van Assche a lot has happened already... ?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The salespersons I am more familiar with hinted at the fact that some (apparently well-to-do) office workers often drop off a large number of shoes before the weekend, and requested the shoes to be shone and returned the next Monday.

When I was at the store the day before yesterday, I saw a customer stormed out of the shop, mumbling something like “this is forcing me to buy Corthay instead!”.

Given the high quality of work and amount of effort they have put into each pair of their bespoke shoes, to ensure that they last the wearer a lifetime (by offering free resole) sounds reasonable. But who knows what’s next? Under Kris van Assche a lot has happened already... ?
lol "this is forcing me to buy corthay instead":) will definitely remember that line in case things go wrong during my bespoke process.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

God I hope not. The Corthay people have always treated me very well giving me free shines and resoles whenever I'm in Paris. Last thing I want is for them to discontinue the service because some rich a-holes abused the service.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just tried on these two beauties for some reason after a day of walking they were more comfortable than when I tried them on a few weeks ago but wasn’t sure if I should commit since I am getting some made at the moment. Love the tobacco brown I guess that’s the Berluti signature color...

Attachments

• 43137D40-EEF6-47A5-9104-270EADA9FA14.jpeg
    43137D40-EEF6-47A5-9104-270EADA9FA14.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 349
  • DEA9796C-4163-4A29-B559-874BF4E82D7D.jpeg
    DEA9796C-4163-4A29-B559-874BF4E82D7D.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 342

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To keep this thread alive I want to cross post my experiences with the bespoke shoes thread.
Even though communication was somewhat complicated over the last months, on short notice they came to Burlingame, CA (Bay Area) today with their bespoke team and I had my trial shoe fitting. Jean-Michel is just a really humble guy and a pleasure to work with. Can’t wait to check out their bespoke shop in Paris this summer.
Trial shoe was pretty tight and narrow and needs quite a few adjustments. I ordered the Constance model from Anthony Delos, same patina as in the pics with red lining and steel cap and some black rubber soles but my understanding is that they won’t cover the whole sole.

Attachments

• 82494C4C-F949-408B-8EC2-DC0129B0C87D.jpeg
    82494C4C-F949-408B-8EC2-DC0129B0C87D.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 615274CB-FC30-4CD2-8D0E-6B7A5AD5E33E.jpeg
    615274CB-FC30-4CD2-8D0E-6B7A5AD5E33E.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 1FC77B71-FD3A-4A1D-A32C-F1B2292AC5AA.jpeg
    1FC77B71-FD3A-4A1D-A32C-F1B2292AC5AA.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 6E062CFE-E828-4A55-8A16-BBF2B791166C.jpeg
    6E062CFE-E828-4A55-8A16-BBF2B791166C.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 1BD58C9C-1832-4BA6-A4F0-6DD6F5100345.png
    1BD58C9C-1832-4BA6-A4F0-6DD6F5100345.png
    555 KB · Views: 186
  • BD706EA7-A11F-40A8-BB32-B56D9C1073C1.png
    BD706EA7-A11F-40A8-BB32-B56D9C1073C1.png
    565.4 KB · Views: 180

gmehra

Reaction score
th
To keep this thread alive I want to cross post my experiences with the bespoke shoes thread.
Even though communication was somewhat complicated over the last months, on short notice they came to Burlingame, CA (Bay Area) today with their bespoke team and I had my trial shoe fitting. Jean-Michel is just a really humble guy and a pleasure to work with. Can’t wait to check out their bespoke shop in Paris this summer.
Trial shoe was pretty tight and narrow and needs quite a few adjustments. I ordered the Constance model from Anthony Delos, same patina as in the pics with red lining and steel cap and some black rubber soles but my understanding is that they won’t cover the whole sole.
the finished shoe looks amazing reminds me of the G&G strand. did they come to Burlingame just to see you or were they making appts to see a bunch of people out of a hotel room?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads