• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Berluti shoe thread

dauster

Reaction score
I'm envious of your menswear budget! :) I would skip the Norwegian stitching on the heels especially as a first pair. I always think of Berluti shoes with sleek lines and as such Norwegian stitching/welts just don't go with them IMO. Better to get a classic par first and then start branching out.
That’s what I am thinking too. As much as I can appreciate the craftsmanship I think I will keep it simple. In regards to the budget I am usually somewhat disciplined and one year ago I would have laughed at myself for even considering spending that kind of money but over the last couple of months I have become rather obsessed with Berluti so I am just going for it. but it’s definitely one of these purchases I can tell no one about other than wifey and talk about it anonymously to you guys. I could literally build my entire wardrobe for years to come at least in regards to shoes but where is the fun in that.

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s what I am thinking too. As much as I can appreciate the craftsmanship I think I will keep it simple. In regards to the budget I am usually somewhat disciplined and one year ago I would have laughed at myself for even considering spending that kind of money but over the last couple of months I have become rather obsessed with Berluti so I am just going for it. but it’s definitely one of these purchases I can tell no one about other than wifey and talk about it anonymously to you guys. I could literally build my entire wardrobe for years to come at least in regards to shoes but where is the fun in that.
I know how you feel. I think only 4 of my friends really know how much I’ve spent on a single pair of shoes. 2 of them is because we go to Paris all the time so they tag along with me. They’ve gotten tours of the JLP and Corthay workshop by tagging along with me. They enjoy that stuff even though they would never spend that kind of money on shoes. The other 2 know just because they’re really close friends and asked me what’s the most I’ve spent. Any other friend or coworker that asks me, I just tell them “your paycheck” in a joking manner and they usually drop it from there.

dauster

Reaction score
I know how you feel. I think only 4 of my friends really know how much I’ve spent on a single pair of shoes. 2 of them is because we go to Paris all the time so they tag along with me. They’ve gotten tours of the JLP and Corthay workshop by tagging along with me. They enjoy that stuff even though they would never spend that kind of money on shoes. The other 2 know just because they’re really close friends and asked me what’s the most I’ve spent. Any other friend or coworker that asks me, I just tell them “your paycheck” in a joking manner and they usually drop it from there.
Lol your paycheck!!! Will definitely use that line. Nice one and it’s not even a lie ;) same here maybe have two friends that kinda know how much I spent everybody else doesn’t know. At least wifey is a trooper and listens to all my Menswear talk but then she gets the bug and commissions something as well. She really loves these mad max alligator boots I posted a while ago. But they quoted $28k for the boots apparently a customer in Singapore ordered these last year (I don’t think even she has the guts to order them at least I hope so...)

papado

Reaction score
It's all love, man; no judgement here. I agree that you should take your time in building things! I'm a tad younger than you guys and I absolutely regret buying a lot of stuff at a time because you realize your preferences change or your don't realize a flaw in something which you think fits really well. You've got to try other things and dial in your choices with some reflection.

dauster

Reaction score
It's all love, man; no judgement here. I agree that you should take your time in building things! I'm a tad younger than you guys and I absolutely regret buying a lot of stuff at a time because you realize your preferences change or your don't realize a flaw in something which you think fits really well. You've got to try other things and dial in your choices with some reflection.
Very true but than again this is just a hobby. yes spending big money on things you regret buying always sucks but then again sometimes I just go for it if it feels right... at some price point there is no point in even trying to justify things. I feel like there is a ton of people that look sharper than me in suit supply and Carmina shoes (which I both also own) but there is also fun in buying beautiful things just because they are beautiful and because you appreciate the whole backstory/ craftsmanship (yes I understand it’s partially marketing especially by LVMH owned companies).

what did help me a lot was to check in here and ask for feedback in terms of fit before buying RTW shoes and especially suits - I remember a few recent potential terrible purchases that were avoided because of the feedback here.

dauster

Reaction score
Great experience meeting Jean-Michel and his associate (I was too excited and forgot his name). Also again the city manager for Berluti in Singapore (Paul) was a real pleasure to work with. Below a few pics. I also really like JM’s Andy loafers ... very nice burgundy color, looked great with jeans...

Attachments

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Berluti finally stopped their free polish service, as of 1 Dec 2019.

Guess some customers may become less than happy?

dauster

Reaction score
Berluti finally stopped their free polish service, as of 1 Dec 2019.

Guess some customers may become less than happy?
Interesting, why would they do that? but they did mention that they resole bespoke shoes free of charge if you bring them to the shop.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
The salespersons I am more familiar with hinted at the fact that some (apparently well-to-do) office workers often drop off a large number of shoes before the weekend, and requested the shoes to be shone and returned the next Monday.

When I was at the store the day before yesterday, I saw a customer stormed out of the shop, mumbling something like “this is forcing me to buy Corthay instead!”.

Given the high quality of work and amount of effort they have put into each pair of their bespoke shoes, to ensure that they last the wearer a lifetime (by offering free resole) sounds reasonable. But who knows what’s next? Under Kris van Assche a lot has happened already... 😪

dauster

Reaction score
The salespersons I am more familiar with hinted at the fact that some (apparently well-to-do) office workers often drop off a large number of shoes before the weekend, and requested the shoes to be shone and returned the next Monday.

When I was at the store the day before yesterday, I saw a customer stormed out of the shop, mumbling something like “this is forcing me to buy Corthay instead!”.

Given the high quality of work and amount of effort they have put into each pair of their bespoke shoes, to ensure that they last the wearer a lifetime (by offering free resole) sounds reasonable. But who knows what’s next? Under Kris van Assche a lot has happened already... 😪
lol "this is forcing me to buy corthay instead":) will definitely remember that line in case things go wrong during my bespoke process.

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

God I hope not. The Corthay people have always treated me very well giving me free shines and resoles whenever I'm in Paris. Last thing I want is for them to discontinue the service because some rich a-holes abused the service.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40