1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Berluti shoe thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, Sep 3, 2006.

1. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I just want to say that if I get a nice black shoe in the future, it would be a Berluti wholecut because the patination makes it so much more. The tints of green, purple or blue make it not just "black".

Do Berluti wholecuts crease more than any other wholecut? I remember a member posted picks of his Lattanzi wholecuts and I think they crease just the same.

2. kronik

kronik Senior member

Artisan Fan - honestly, I think RJ was spot on with his description of the creasing in Berlutis. Almost every decently worn pair of Berlutis I've seen have had quite a bit of wrinkling, moreso than shoes of a less supple/soft leather. I'm not sure this was meant to be an insult.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I'm not sure this was meant to be an insult.
    It wasn't but AF is very sensitive to criticism, constructive or not.[​IMG]

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Why do you say that Tomasso? Because I defended Kiton and Berluti when I thought some criticisms were unfair or untrue?

5. Rolo

Rolo Senior member

Chris:

You don't add an apostrophe to a plural proper noun. It's not a possessive.

I don't mean to single you out -- it's a common mistake, but it drives me nuts.

One of my peeves as well; however, if we're going to be picky is Berluti not already a plural and Berlutis being nothing more than a typical American display of excess. But then, the singular would be Berluto and we might not know what we're talking about. Even worse, is it a pair of Berulti, a pair of Berultis, or a pair of Berluto? I guess there is a reason why I shouldn't post when I'm sleepy.

In any event, my basic thoughts on this thread (and its predecessor) is that while many have praised the design, they have bemoaned the price relative to quality. While the issue of price relative to quality has merits, the fact is that one should also be willing to pay for design. Indeed, I've seen the argument made in reverse with regard to some Vass lasts (to paraphrase, "great quality, but I wouldn't put them on my feet"). The converse should also be true, one should be willing to pay a premium relative to quality because an item simply looks great on you.

6. Artisan Fan

Good point.

One might also look at the economic argument of price meeting supply and demand. It seems Olga has enough customers willing to pay the higher price. We may not all believe it is good value, but if I were an LVMH shareholder I might want Olga to charge what she can.

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Why do you say that Tomasso? Because I defended Kiton and Berluti when I thought some criticisms were unfair or untrue?

In the course of your strident defence of your makers you seem to have a tendency to attack the messenger. You went after Marc Seitleman in the Kiton thread, Kabbaz in the handmade shirt thread and now RJman in this thread. It's fine to dispute the facts but you don't have to make it personal.

8. kronik

kronik Senior member

But then, the singular would be Berluto and we might not know what we're talking about. Even worse, is it a pair of Berulti, a pair of Berultis, or a pair of Berluto?

Even if Berluti(s) is wrong, I don't think Berulti or Berultis would ever be right. [​IMG]

9. Soph

Soph Senior member

[​IMG]

These are secret photos of Berluti shoes being made:
    [​IMG]

*This is a joke

10. Artisan Fan

Excuse me but it was RJ who made it personal here. I did not attack either Marc or Alex personally and Alex and I in particular had some nice discussions in that thread and in messages and we all learned a lot.

I did not attack RJ as well as my replies clearly show. I did call him on a rude comment and I will continue to do so as I see fit. RJ is making several baseless claims here and he needs to present more evidence to back up his accusations.

11. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I found that my John Lobbs have almost no creasing in the leather even after years of wear, truly remarkable leather.

12. Soph

Soph Senior member

I found that my John Lobbs have almost no creasing in the leather even after years of wear, truly remarkable leather.

Same with Vass as long as you insert the custom trees.

13. Soph

Soph Senior member

Artisan Fan,

You're fine. RJ is best summed up with this avatar, he's good, he's bad, I don't know if he's ugly though[​IMG]:
    [​IMG]

14. Artisan Fan

Those Chinese factory pics are hilarious! [​IMG]

But they are of the Lobb Paris brand. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

i think berluti are one of those brands everybody wishes they had but never had the bottle to buy because of the ether price or styling, i have been tempted of several ocassions to get some i just think they are a little over priced by about 20%.
    i have got shoes that are blaked stitched and personnal i have walked shed loads in them to no ill effect on the shoe and in all weathers. we all have faverite brands and no1 like to see the brand (team) be slagged of (lose) so before anyone get evern more upset i think one should chose one wording more carefully, this will prevent any one from getting upset!

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Even if Berluti(s) is wrong, I don't think Berulti or Berultis would ever be right. [​IMG]

berlutti berultis berultusissimo!!!!!!! whats going on heres?!? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    boollootiss'

17. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i think berluti are one of those brands everybody wishes they had but never had the bottle to buy because of the ether price or styling, i have been tempted of several ocassions to get some i just think they are a little over priced by about 20%.
    i have got shoes that are blaked stitched and personnal i have walked shed loads in them to no ill effect on the shoe and in all weathers. we all have faverite brands and no1 like to see the brand (team) be slagged of (lose) so before anyone get evern more upset i think one should chose one wording more carefully, this will prevent any one from getting upset!

exactly. if anyone here hints one negative opinion about santoni fams i will look you up and hunt you down. artisan style

and then beg you to change your mind.[​IMG]

18. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

exactly. if anyone here hints one negative opinion about santoni fams i will look you up and hunt you down. artisan style

and then beg you to change your mind.[​IMG]

how?? lead me a pair![​IMG] and i will keep quite!

19. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Leaving aside the questions about the production of Berluti's RTW shoes, it is common practice to produce goods (at least in parts) in some cheaper labour countries. European Union rules allow merchandise to be labelled "Made in Italy (or wherever)" if "significant production" has been made in the country in question.

It is perfectly legal to produce a shirt somewhere in the third world, and as long as you cut the buttonholes and attach the buttons in Italy, you can call it "Made in Italy". Lots of manufacturers exploit this loop hole. Unlike the fibre content and composition of the fabric, you are not obliged to show the place in production on the label. Quite a few firms leave that out. Hackett, who once proudly proclaimed everything to be "Made in the British Isles", is one of those. Country of origin gets only shown if it is prestigious, otherwise it is just left out. As I said, "Made in xxx" does not necessarily mean, the item has been made in its entirety in the country in question.

The story goes that Bernard Arnaud (LVMH) did the Victor-Kiam-Remington-thing ("I liked the shaver so much, I bought the company") on Berluti shoes (the firm was on the brink of insolvency and Arnaud was worried his favourite shoemaker might go under). LVMH, and Mme Olga as the public face, have done a remarkable job. Of course they have used plenty of BS to muddy the waters ("the colour get bleached by the moonlight").

I believe (and of course Berluti will not give you any factual information) that "Venezia" leather is basically a crust (undied) leather, not dissimilar to the leather EG uses. It is the firm's choice to split it to that particular thinness.

20. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I believe (and of course Berluti will not give you any factual information) that "Venezia" leather is basically a crust (undied) leather, not dissimilar to the leather EG uses. It is the firm's choice to split it to that particular thinness.
    Well, when I bought my shoes, that's what I tried on -- undyed crust leather. They then very nicely asked me exactly what color and antiquing I wanted.

I will answer the rest of the allegations about my good, bad and ugly character later.