• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the battle of size

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've never really been too subjected to the whole concept of 'sizing up' or 'sizing' down until i hit this forum. normally, i just buy whatever my listed size is and be done with it.

what do you do when you're trying on an item and the size could go either way? for instance, a size smaller may be a little tight but looks great OR your normal size runs a little large, feels great, but doesn't look quite right.

do you have a general tendency to size up or down? if faced with the issue, which do you normally do?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are you going to layer with the piece ???

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have learned my lesson about buying **** that doesnt feel right out of the gate. (aka sizing down)
if the fit isnt what i like when i try it on, its not going to magically stretch into what i want.

so if it doesnt feel right out of the gate, i let it go regardless of how good the deal is. (unless it can be tailored)

TheDroog

Reaction score
With cotton pants, especially cords and khakis, I've learned to size down. They stretch at the waist with each wear, so I'll buy them snug.

For example, my waist is a true 33, but few stores carry this size reliably, and a 32 usually fits just as well. The first wear may seem slightly too tight, but by the 2nd to 3rd wear it's right on target. Eventually it gets too loose, you wash it, and you can start all over again. On the other hand, if I bought a 34 waist pant, it would always be a bit too loose.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
are you going to layer with the piece ???

probably not. any of my winter things are pretty thin. the most layering i do is an undershirt and a button-up.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My closet has items that are tagged from XS to L depending on the item that all fit me well. Depends really on which market of the country it's made for and what's they're target consumer.

bluemax

Reaction score
I tend to just go with my typical size and hope it fits. If not, then it's not an option for my wardrobe. Since discovering SF I may try sizing down again, but the problem I've had with that in the past was that after the 1st wash the garment becomes too small. And my true size will still be too big even after a wash. That situation happened to me more than once, and I realize now that it's probably mostly cheap brands that this happens with because they're trying to fit as many different body types into their clothes as possible.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll get what fits right. The exception is knitwear where I may get something a little larger as I don't like tight jumpers / cardigans. A slightly larger size knit also gives a bit of room for any washing accidents leading to shrinkage.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I tend to buy snug in pants because they almost always stretch at least a little, but I just go with normal fit in everything else.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never had the luxury of sizing down (unless you count the boys section). The very idea of it is mystifying to me.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at some Flat Head shirts from Self Edge - my chest is 42.5ish with a t-shirt on. Generally better to order a 42 or a 44 then, assuming some shrinkage (but not a great deal according to the site? I don't want a blouse, but I'd like to avoid movement-restricting as well.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted larger one, and I'd add "then have it tailored".

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I have never had the luxury of sizing down (unless you count the boys section). The very idea of it is mystifying to me.

Ditto, except for pants and occasional XXS at Uniqlo. For jeans I always size down because I hate a loose waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads