• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Barbanera Shoes Appreciation Thread (pictures, sizing, etc.)

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pretty much an unknown to most until No Man Walks Alone began carrying them last year. Goodyear welted shoes made in Italy at extremely affordable prices. If you follow there IG feed, you'll know that they also seem like a cool group of guys you'd want go out on the piss with.

Here's my first pair...Chet single monks from NMWA. For reference, I take 44 in Vass F last. These were very snug at first, but are loosening up very nicely on the first wear.

Last edited:

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the U-cap Gatsby oxfords and, while my review and photography will not match the depth and quality of @Darkside 's (which I hope he will cross-post here), I can only echo his appreciation of them.

The wide forefoot that dovetails to a round toe and a nicely tapered waist not only gives the shoes a nice profile, but also results in the most comfortably fitting shoes I own. The calf is soft and very supple, and the color is a beautiful brown with hints of red that's warm in direct sun and rich under shaded or indoor light. Though I think they work well as year-round shoes, I can't wait to wear these with fresco and solaro in the spring and summer--that's when I think they'll shine most brightly.

Here they are on their inaugural run:

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering picking up the Gatsby myself as I've been trying to find a cool u-wing. How is the width? Can you compare it to any of the narrower fitting lasts, i.e. the ones that actually fit me, such as the TG73, Simpson, Corthay Arca, etc.?

FYI - for anyone who doubts NMWA as a fantastic avenue and a great price, Barbanera is now at Barneys for the low, low price of $625.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should also say that they fit quite similarly (if a bit more closely) to my Carmina Rain last shoes. I would recommend using your Rain sizing as a guide for Barbanera. I don't have any Simpson lasted shoes to compare it to--sorry!

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Super ****** fit pic of my tassels in noce suede

still super tight on me, but slowly stretching out, thanks @Murlsquirl

Was wondering how that was working out. Glad it's working out, man! Used shoes don't sell for shite anyways.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was wondering how that was working out. Glad it's working out, man! Used shoes don't sell for shite anyways.

Yeah no way I was going to let these go.

I ended up completely soaking them in warm water for a few mins then putting in a larger shoe tree before wearing them while damp.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me and my Chets, in good company

jdanielca

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a pair of boots from them, but someone mentioned to me that they "are not well know for the quality of their leather" so any comments on this?

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of chelseas in black suede. Super comfy right out of the box

Jon 1981

Reaction score
I'm new to the brand. Any ideahow the truman Black loafers fit? Are they an F width? Any further info would be greatly appreciated.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own three pairs from the brand. Two chelsea boots (UK9.5 / 43.5) and one pair of cowboy boots (UK9 / 43). I’m typically an F width fit and the brand fits me well.

If I were buying loafers I’d for sure buy a size UK9 size they would stretch out.

Last edited:

Jon 1981

Reaction score
Can I ask you what sizes you take in other brands?

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I ask you what sizes you take in other brands?

St Crispin - Elongated Last - 9UK
G&G - MH71 - 9.5UK-F
Carmina - Rain - 9.5UK
Carmina - Soller - 9UK
Carmina - Robert - 9UK
Vass - (F and U Last) - 9.5UK
Saint Laurent - 43
Carlos Santos - 9UK

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads