1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The axe thread - Best Made Co.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by lefty, Mar 7, 2010.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I still have my grandfather's axes and they will be passed on to younger men of my family. A Best Made Co. axe will join them.

lefty

I have little tolerance for the pretend "woodsmen" of NYC. These guys are authentic.

lefty

Wow, so much unintentional hilarity just on page 1!

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Wow, so much unintentional hilarity just on page 1!

Never fuck with someone holding an axe, son. Especially if the helve is pink.

lefty

3. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Never fuck with someone holding an axe, son. Especially if the helve is pink.

lefty

I will easily defeat you with my fiberglass tennis racket!

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

since this seems to be the axe thread...anyone know where I can get a replacement single-bit octagonal axe-handle? I found an axe in my grandfather's shed and it's taken some serious overstrike abuse. I'd prefer to stick with the oct. handle rather than the round ones.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Something here?

lefty

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Something here?

lefty

I saw that a while back but couldn't find any ordering information, other than their website. Seemed to think that they were strictly b-to-b...but I never took it any further than conjecture.

7. robin

robin Senior member

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

I saw that a while back but couldn't find any ordering information, other than their website. Seemed to think that they were strictly b-to-b...but I never took it any further than conjecture.

Tennessee Hickory Handles

111 Keene
    P.O. Box 309
    Loudon, TN 37774

Phone: 865-458-3744

Toll Free:
    800-251-9106
    800-251-9107

Fax: 865-458-3200

Email:
    sales@tennhickory.com

9. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

The NYTimes profile mentions that they buy the actual axes from a supplier in Maine, then make them all pretty in their Tribeca studio... anyone know the supplier?

10. robin

robin Senior member

The NYTimes profile mentions that they buy the actual axes from a supplier in Maine, then make them all pretty in their Tribeca studio... anyone know the supplier?
    Snow & Nealley perhaps. edit, maybe not: I'm reading that they now source their heads from China and are then finished in the US.

11. robin

robin Senior member

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

^ Good site.

Thomas, try these guys: O.P. Link Handle Company is the largest manufacturer of hickory striking tool handles and farming tool handles in the United States. The Link family of handle makers operates factories in Salem, IN; Sequatchie, TN; Crossville, TN; and Hope, AR. The company can create almost any ax handle from the patterns shown in its catalog and from its inventory of less-popular handle patterns.

O.P. Link Handle Company
    403 S. Main Street
    Salem, IN 47167-1323
    Phone: (800) 992-9171 or (812) 883-2981
    Fax: (812) 883-1672

If you're looking for a good axe without the "pretty" go here: http://www.leevalley.com/us/garden/p...t=2,45794&ap=1

Personally, I like the "pretty":

[​IMG]
    lefty

13. Handleman

Handleman New Member

There is no more O.P. Link Handle Co. Sold years ago. Mr. Link has passed on.

14. Handleman

Handleman New Member

Humm, pink axes. Call the girl scouts! Maybe they should add these along with the cookie line.

15. Handleman

Handleman New Member

Anyone looking for axe handles for use or to have painting if you just don't have the spair cash for best made axe. Check the Hickory Handle Store. They have several to pick from. Happy Painting.

16. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I'm surprised no one has commented on this comedy of errors and the overall response the spectators had after the tree landed on the truck cab.

Growing up, my dad and my two brothers would go out and cut down a few oak trees with his double bladed axe. The only job I was given was to haul the wood to the truck and to split the wood with a maul. I can still smell the strong, vinegary scent of a freshly cut oak tree.

17. BP348

BP348 Senior member

Never put that much thought into an ax but I've never had to spend hours chopping wood or been stranded in the woods either. I am interested in watching some of these videos.

Only thing I use an ax for is to split wood for the bbq.