The Avengers (05.04.2012)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by willy cheesesteak, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

D7, I do like your posts, but you are wrong here. The GL Corps is awesome. Seriously go read some of Geoff Johns work with them. It's easily some of the best work in mainstream comics in the last years.

As for the characters themselves. The power-set is only limited by the ring bearer's imagination and will. A case could be made that GL is the most powerful member of the JLA and when you consider how many of them there are, it makes the Corp one of comic's most intimidating forces.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

PLEASE tell me you have read the Starman series by James Robinson. The Shade is one of the more prominent characters and it's easily one of the better series ever written. I'm working on getting it all trade paper backed up. Hopefully I will have this done soon. :slayer:

3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Marvel has seemingly been adding more and more ludicrously overpowered characters over the years, but their main core was generally reasonably. Reading X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Ironman, Avengers by and large (never read Thor by itself), there was a sense of SOME vulnerability in the characters. I missed that in most of the DC stuff, except for Batman. A guy like Superman or Flash was only threatened by such esoteric weirdness that it never appealed to me. Some of the big story arcs and crossovers in Marvel have been getting that way (Planet Hulk, Secret War, etc) but that never felt like the main universe to me. Maybe I just wasn't reading the right stuff. Never read GL stuff.

Now the DC movies are fun. Superman's absurdly overpowered nature seems to translate better to a movie.

4. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Bitch!

5. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Come on, if you're going to use silly reductionist arguments based on births, this is an even more pointless discussion. Superman can't ever change having been born on Krypton and having grown up on Earth. Green Lantern loses his power ring, or it's uncharged, and now what?

The GL Corps is one of the only superhero groups that I haven't found interesting enough to find a comic/graphic novel of. Any particular ones you'd recommend starting on? I read some of the John Stewart novels because he seemed like a BAMF in the Justice League (animated version), but beyond that just piecemeal stuff and I don't remember too much of it.

Interestingly, I looked up the wiki page on the power rings and I guess many DC fans have argued it's the most powerful weapon in the DC multiverse, in that it's only bounded by the wearer's imagination. Maybe I am wrong, but I still don't think the GL Corps/GL is anything exciting. Willing to be proved wrong though.

Most of my experiences with the Shade have come out of the Flash-centric comics -- the one I recall most recently is the Secret Origins #50 (August 1990): “Flash of Two Worlds” (revised), Grant Morrison. I'll have to see if I can't hunt down Starman, it sounds like a more adult comic in that it's less action-based and more focused on character development/interaction.

I think you are reading that a bit wrong. Superman's weakness, apart from the obvious kryptonite, is largely a character issue. He can't kill someone -- it's completely antithetical to his existence. Also he gets pitted against the strongest villains in the DC multiverse, so they've found ways to beat on him physically.

Random aside:
    http://www.amazon.com/Comics-Encyclopedia-Updated-Expanded-Edition/dp/0756641195/
    Is that a good coffee-table style book? It sure looks that way, but I have no experiences with the encyclopedias.

6. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

What about Spidey? He´s the coolest superhero. Perfect mix of strength, intelligence, powers and villain mocking ability.

7. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I didn't make the argument that where a character derives his/her power has bearing on their worth as a hero, you did. It's your argument, I was just pointing out its folly.

If GLs ring becomes uncharged he has no powers, so what, makes him less powerfull hardly less worthy.

8. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Sorry but Spidey is teh ghey.

9. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Talk about gamma rays and kryptonite and lanterns all you want.

At the end of the day, we all know who the most bad ass hero is....

[​IMG]

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Batman doesn't kill either and it's part of why he's awesome. Not sure I buy that.

That "strongest villians" thing is part of the problem, when the only threatening villains are epic god-level badasses it just isn't all that interesting for me. Fun on occasion, but I can't see regularly reading Superman stuff. I've only read the series with him and other characters, Justice League, etc. No real desire to get pure Supes stuff.

11. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

That's just a comics code fudge. In real life we all know Batman kills the fuck outta the odd bad guy.

12. DannyJman

DannyJman Well-Known Member

Epic Discussion is Epic - Definitely watching this but.. Alot of Marvel Major Players Missing!

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Eh, when Supes was controlled by Poison Ivy in Hush, he almost killed Batman even with the Kryptonite ring.
    [​IMG]

14. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Blame Fox and Sony.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I think the number of heroes in the movie is fine. They'll likely have some small cameo of Henry and Janet in the film somewhere. Remember Human Torch cameo in the Capt. America film?