1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The 'Ask Foo' Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Matt

Matt Senior member

I currently have ...Antongiavanni.
    Know nothing hack.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dear [​IMG] ,

refering to a question also posted in the "Jacket for beginners"-thread, can you recommend any resources on wardrobe building - books or other websites?

I currently have Flusser's Dressing the man, Roetzel's Gentleman: A Timeless Guide and some related books (Musgrave and James, Antongiavanni).

I like Flusser's Dressing the Man as a starting point. Just don't treat it like a rule book. It's just a very good intro to basic ideas and general concepts.

Dear [​IMG],

Should one match the general weight of sweaters to the general weight of pants? For example, in our previous discussion about shetland sweaters, should shetlands only really be worn with things such as jeans, moleskins, corduroys, tweed, and heavier wool fabrics? Similarly, should sweaters with a thinner fabric be matched to chinos, tropical wools, and linen pants?

Thanks,
    Chase

It makes sense to me that the weights should match--both visually and practically. Why bother wearing a winter-weight top to keep warm but then put on a pair of summer-weight pants that will leave your legs freezing cold? Also, it looks strange when one pairs garments of different seasonalities (because it typically looks strange when one does strange things).

That all said, I've never understood the usefulness of lightweight sweaters. I only wear them to keep warm, so they are all naturally of the heavier variety.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The linen sweater eludes me.

In my parts, people love to pair sweaters and even heavy coats with shorts. That eludes me as well.

4. Baverso

Baverso Well-Known Member

5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

6. mafoofan

Dear [​IMG] ,

I know the waist needs to be taken in, can you criticize my suit viciously?
    http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...09&postcount=2
    [​IMG]

Main thing: the front balance is short. The sleeve pitch might need correction, but it's hard to tell if your arms are hanging naturally.

7. DocHolliday

Dear Foo,

What do you think of the Huntsman in the "Beautiful Vintage Huntsman" thread? I'm interested in how you find the shaping, mostly, but other critique is welcome as well.

Yrs,
    Doc

8. mafoofan

Dear Foo,

What do you think of the Huntsman in the "Beautiful Vintage Huntsman" thread? I'm interested in how you find the shaping, mostly, but other critique is welcome as well.

Yrs,
    Doc

I don't know how much I can tell from a jacket on a mannequin. I like the fabric. It looks soft, too--but I'm supposing that has to do with age. I don't like regular open-seam shoulders on jackets that have softened up and worn-in. Looks sad instead of elegantly tragic, as in the case of good shirt-set sleeves.

9. DocHolliday

Assuming the hourglass shape is representative of how it really is, what do you think of that?

10. mafoofan

Assuming the hourglass shape is representative of how it really is, what do you think of that?

Nothing inherently good or bad about it. I'd have to see it on a person. It's all relative.

11. MORNINGSTAR777

MORNINGSTAR777 Senior member

Dear Foo,

We all know what the Foofiorm looks like. However, what does Mr. Fan wear during the colder NYC months when it's snowing and/or freezing ou and a tweed coat simply isn't enough? A Rubinacci top coat? Conversely, what do you wear in the sweltering summer months of NYC.

Sincerely,
    Fellow believer in PUW (personal uniform wardrobe)

12. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Dear [​IMG]

What is your thought of pairing tweed SC and tweed pants of different colors and weight?

13. mafoofan

Dear Foo,

We all know what the Foofiorm looks like. However, what does Mr. Fan wear during the colder NYC months when it's snowing and/or freezing ou and a tweed coat simply isn't enough? A Rubinacci top coat? Conversely, what do you wear in the sweltering summer months of NYC.

Sincerely,
    Fellow believer in PUW (personal uniform wardrobe)

My wardrobe is woefully underdeveloped in this respect. I don't have a proper overcoat, so I just wear a Mackintosh, scarf, and gloves, over my suit or odd jacket when it gets cold. 99% of the time, that's enough. However, ideally, I'd have a real coat. It's just not a priority.

Dear [​IMG]

What is your thought of pairing tweed SC and tweed pants of different colors and weight?

Don't like the sounds of it, but I grant that tweed comes in a lot of different varieties. It's not impossible one could do it successfully--but why? Tweed doesn't seem like very good trouser cloth.

14. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Flusser's Clothes and the Man, which can be found used, is the best clothing book there is. If you had to have only one, this would be it.

15. mafoofan

Flusser's Clothes and the Man, which can be found used, is the best clothing book there is. If you had to have only one, this would be it.

Is this the Ask Manton thread? I think not. You have your own little gig going on a few threads over. This here is Foo country.

That book doesn't have enough pictures.

16. Manton

Is this the Ask Manton thread? I think not. You have your own little gig going on a few threads over. This here is Foo country.

That book doesn't have enough pictures.

It has lots of pictures and the ones it has are more directly illustrative of the lessons in the text. Dressing OTOH appears more lavishly illustrated at first glance but its illustrations are not as useful. One can learn much more from the earlier book.

17. mafoofan

It has lots of pictures and the ones it has are more directly illustrative of the lessons in the text. Dressing OTOH appears more lavishly illustrated at first glance but its illustrations are not as useful. One can learn much more from the earlier book.

Usurper.

18. Manton

Usurper.

Not at all, just adding a point. Carry on.

19. mafoofan

Not at all, just adding a point. Carry on.

Well, even though you're wrong, I'll add: regardless of what Flusser book you read, I recommend going through just one. He tends to say the same things over and over again.

20. Manton

Well, even though you're wrong, I'll add: regardless of what Flusser book you read, I recommend going through just one. He tends to say the same things over and over again.

There is a lot of repetition and I agree that his style hasn't changed much (which is good). But there are actually many choice nuggets in the where-to-shop books that are worth reading and that aren't in the other books. I also think that, despite its greater length, Dressing has less information in it than Clothes.