The 'Ask Foo' Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Nov 17, 2010.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Well, most of my shirts are shirred in the back, with no pleats, and two darts. Frankly, I'm agnostic on the shirrng--it looks right on my Neapolitan shirts because of all the hand-detailing, but could easily look out of place in a another application. Darts are more of a fitting feature than a stylistic choice.

However, I hate pleats on non-sporty shirts. They confuse the purpose of the shirt.

2. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Senior member

foo in helmut lang? i wish you had a pic of that.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Dear [​IMG] Would you ever wear a pair of Acne jeans, even though they are named after a skin condition? [​IMG]

4. OTM

OTM Senior member

Dear [​IMG] ,

refering to a question also posted in the "Jacket for beginners"-thread, can you recommend any resources on wardrobe building - books or other websites?

I currently have Flusser's Dressing the man, Roetzel's Gentleman: A Timeless Guide and some related books (Musgrave and James, Antongiavanni).

5. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Dear [​IMG] ,

refering to a question also posted in the "Jacket for beginners"-thread, can you recommend any resources on wardrobe building - books or other websites?

I currently have Flusser's Dressing the man, Roetzel's Gentleman: A Timeless Guide and some related books (Musgrave and James, Antongiavanni).

Click pic.

[​IMG]

6. OTM

OTM Senior member

Thank you.

Come to think of it, I have seen that link in my lurks.

Thanks again for reminding me.

7. OTM

OTM Senior member

Click pic.

[​IMG]

Granted, that is an extensive library, but how about the essential, introductory works? Would they be Roetzel and Flusser?

8. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Granted, that is an extensive library, but how about the essential, introductory works? Would they be Roetzel and Flusser?

If you were American, Flusser's Clothes and the Man, Boyer's Elegance and his Eminently Suitable, and Amies's The Englishman's Suit.

There might be other books better for a European, but the four above are good reading.

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Any notable pre Styleforum bad purchases?

10. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

Dear [​IMG],

Should one match the general weight of sweaters to the general weight of pants? For example, in our previous discussion about shetland sweaters, should shetlands only really be worn with things such as jeans, moleskins, corduroys, tweed, and heavier wool fabrics? Similarly, should sweaters with a thinner fabric be matched to chinos, tropical wools, and linen pants?

Thanks,
    Chase

11. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I currently have ...Antongiavanni.
    Know nothing hack.

12. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Dear [​IMG] ,

I like Flusser's Dressing the Man as a starting point. Just don't treat it like a rule book. It's just a very good intro to basic ideas and general concepts.

Dear [​IMG],

Should one match the general weight of sweaters to the general weight of pants? For example, in our previous discussion about shetland sweaters, should shetlands only really be worn with things such as jeans, moleskins, corduroys, tweed, and heavier wool fabrics? Similarly, should sweaters with a thinner fabric be matched to chinos, tropical wools, and linen pants?

Thanks,
    Chase

It makes sense to me that the weights should match--both visually and practically. Why bother wearing a winter-weight top to keep warm but then put on a pair of summer-weight pants that will leave your legs freezing cold? Also, it looks strange when one pairs garments of different seasonalities (because it typically looks strange when one does strange things).

That all said, I've never understood the usefulness of lightweight sweaters. I only wear them to keep warm, so they are all naturally of the heavier variety.

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The linen sweater eludes me.

In my parts, people love to pair sweaters and even heavy coats with shorts. That eludes me as well.

14. Baverso

Baverso Well-Known Member

15. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member