The 'Ask Foo' Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Nov 17, 2010.

1. RSS

RSS Senior member

I'm not Foo ... but I have narrowed my answer to Rye.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Chasingred, you really can't go wrong with any of those colors. However, if it were me, I'd go with the Rye or the Tundra--particularly if I didn't already have a beige/brown sweater. Between those two, I think I'd go with Rye. The Sage is very pretty, but it is also maybe slightly less versatile because it is a more complex color.

But, you really should just go with your personal whim on this. I'd be happy with any of them.

Intent, my first foray into serious tailored clothing was with Oxxford and Borrelli MTM. Before that, I was much younger and more fashion-oriented. I wore everything from Prada and Gucci to Diesel, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Polo.

3. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

RSS and Foo on the same page ... looks like I'm going with Rye. Really appreciate the feedback!

4. mafoofan

RSS and Foo on the same page ... looks like I'm going with Rye. Really appreciate the feedback!

Well, I'm not one to hold back on a sharply decisive opinion, so it should tell you something that I withheld one here. Those colors are all really great. Unlike in many situations presented on the forum, there is no objective right or wrong. Go with your gut.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dear Foo,

Can you please post pics of young Foo wearing his Prada?

Your humble servant,
    Doc

6. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Dear [​IMG],

If I start a hydroponic farm, will brown still be for me?

Sincerely,

S

7. mafoofan

Dear Foo,

Can you please post pics of young Foo wearing his Prada?

Your humble servant,
    Doc

I'm not sure there are any pics, but what one of my favorite outfits in college was a Helmut Lang grey denim jacket, Purple Label black cashmere turtleneck, Paper denim jeans, Ferragamo chelsea boots, and a Prada "map" case. I still love the map case but have no reason to wear it.

8. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I'm not sure there are any pics, but what one of my favorite outfits in college was a Helmut Lang grey denim jacket, Purple Label black cashmere turtleneck, Paper denim jeans, Ferragamo chelsea boots, and a Prada "map" case. I still love the map case but have no reason to wear it.

Dear [​IMG]:
    Is the aforementioned outfit SW&D approved? [​IMG]

I remain, ever faithfully, your Humble S.,
    -L.

9. RSS

RSS Senior member

I'm not sure there are any pics.
    This is a relief. I prefer to picture you in Rubinacci.

10. wqvong

wqvong Senior member

Whats the benefit of having split yolked vs standard?

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I'm not sure there are any pics, but what one of my favorite outfits in college was a Helmut.....
    [​IMG] 'What? you wore a helmut? bing! Hey I played a little ball in college myself, no seriously, I mean literally myself. Why I was so ugly as a kid my mother fed me with a slingshot. I get no respect I tell ya. In college I had to share a locker with a mop.' [​IMG]

12. mafoofan

Whats the benefit of having split yolked vs standard?

I'm not very well-armed to answer technical questions like this. I'd much rather arbitrate matters of taste where I am always, of course, right.

However, i think the answer is there isn't one--so long as your shirtmaker cuts your yoke correctly. My understanding is that there is no shaping you can get from a split yoke that you can't get from a single-piece yoke. That said, you might prefer the aesthetics of one versus the other.

13. Kurt N

Kurt N Senior member

... My understanding is that there is no shaping you can get from a split yoke that you can't get from a single-piece yoke.
    For practical purposes, this may be true. But if we consider all theoretical possibilities, then I bet Quasimodo's tailor would use a split yoke.

14. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

For practical purposes, this may be true. But if we consider all theoretical possibilities, then I bet Quasimodo's tailor would use a split yoke.
    With at least two pleats.

15. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I'm not very well-armed to answer technical questions like this. I'd much rather arbitrate matters of taste where I am always, of course, right. However, i think the answer is there isn't one--so long as your shirtmaker cuts your yoke correctly. My understanding is that there is no shaping you can get from a split yoke that you can't get from a single-piece yoke. That said, you might prefer the aesthetics of one versus the other.
    Maybe not a technical question, but as a style preference -- plain, darts, or pleats at the back of the shirt? And why... Thanks.