• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ascendancy of J. Crew - all good?

butterflystyle

Reaction score
I love me some J Crew. I have to wear tall, which REALLY limits my options, they are one of the few stores that speaks to my preppy aesthetic without being foppish. I would love if it VV made clothes in tall, but unfortunately they do not. Not that J Crews label partners will produce anything in a tall, but if the ethos of moving upmarket provides a source or high quality clothing in tall that's not also big, then bring it on.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
I love me some J Crew. I have to wear tall, which REALLY limits my options, they are one of the few stores that speaks to my preppy aesthetic without being foppish. I would love if it VV made clothes in tall, but unfortunately they do not. Not that J Crews label partners will produce anything in a tall, but if the ethos of moving upmarket provides a source or high quality clothing in tall that's not also big, then bring it on.

Shoes too? One of my partners is 6'5" and wears a size 15 shoe. He actually uses Russell Moc. (a J crew partner - and a really neat place if you're ever in that part of the world) for less expensive "custom" casual shoes.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Shoes too? One of my partners is 6'5" and wears a size 15 shoe. He actually uses Russell Moc. (a J crew partner - and a really neat place if you're ever in that part of the world) for less expensive "custom" casual shoes.

Thank god I can wear regular shoes, I wear a 12/12.5D, I am just 6'3" and it's ALL torso which is kind of unfortunate (I have a 34" inseam).

This conversation just took a very intimate, and not totally unwelcome turn.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
Thank god I can wear regular shoes, I wear a 12/12.5D, I am just 6'3" and it's ALL torso which is kind of unfortunate (I have a 34" inseam).

This conversation just took a very intimate, and not totally unwelcome turn.

Would you like to come up and see my etchings? ;-)

Count yourself lucky, the shoe thing is brutal from what I've seen.

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Would you like to come up and see my etchings? ;-)

Count yourself lucky, the shoe thing is brutal from what I've seen.

Eddie Izzard reference? Nice.

emptym

Reaction score
I like them, but I liked them better when they were quirky. I still have a pair of reversible shorts and a reversible sweatshirt from maybe 1990.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I too remember ordering stuff from the J Crew catalogs in the late 80's and I like a lot of what J Crew is doing and selling these days.

I just worry that since a lot of what they are selling is quite similar to stuff I already own I will be typecast as just being a J Crew wannabe and when this trend ends, as it inevitably will, people will assume I'm still stuck in a J Crew mold.

Then again, I'm still a bigger fan of Brooks Brothers and LL Bean.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like what J.Crew is doing but I wonder if this will be successful for them.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading this I realize that J Crew must be stopped AT. ALL COSTS. And there is only one way to do it.. grab your pitchforks and meet me at the nearest locations....

arc

Reaction score
If you guys are worried about this degrading the exclusivity of your brands, you need to find more exclusive brands.
musicboohoo[1].gif
I could buy any of these things from a handful of shops within a couple miles of my house, barring maybe the Belstaff, and I don't live in a good city for shopping (referring to DC right now, not London). It's supposed to be about style anyway, not brand.

GBer

Reaction score
Seems like they've tried to upgrade their preppy/ Dawson's Creek college look to a more sophisticated look as their client base grows up (= more disposable income to pay more) and looks to dress in something more than nubucks and chinos.

I doubt in the early 90s you would've seen $600 Alden cordovan at JCrew. Interesting, but they are completely in another territory - no longer niche. Is it a good move in these economic times? Let's see.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
Is it a good move in these economic times? Let's see.
This is what I'm curious about. Other retailers seem to have taken a more conservative approach over the last year while J.Crew has taken the opposite.

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
If you guys are worried about this degrading the exclusivity of your brands, you need to find more exclusive brands.
I'm not so sure JCrew collabs are an attempt to bring those brands to the mainstream, as it is a way of seeking the approval of fashionistas. Most of those collabs, aside from more basic items like Levis and Topsiders, are very hard to find in most stores unless you're near certain flagship stores. On SF, we discuss JCrew carrying Alden's. With friends, I simply hear, "damn, JCrew carries some carry expensive shoes!" What the company really did in the last half of the decade was to really woo the media, icon, celebrities, and other insiders of the fashion world. Once these people found it acceptable, even cool, to rock JCrew, it took off with the masses. The idea wasn't really to sell boatloads of Aldens, as it was more to promote the popularity longwing bluchers. What they end up selling a boatload of are their own JCrew branded Gifford shoes or even the lower end rubber-soled bluchers (although maybe these have been discontinued). I really haven't heard anybody who wasn't already a clotheshorse prior to rediscovering JCrew actually understand any of these items. For most, those collab items are merely a reference for the styles and looks they represent. To them, Belstaffs are the biker jackets. Red Wings are the shoes for the lumberjack look. Barbours are the fancy barn jackets. Longwings and wingtips are all oxfords. Especially irritating, my wife refers to any shoe with brogueing as an oxford. Since they're popular with women now, she's in the market for a pair of "oxfords" too. So I wouldn't worry about these collaboration brands being too mainstream.

GBer

Reaction score
Buy their stock (NYSE JCG) and tell me how it goes! LOL

Originally Posted by JayJay
This is what I'm curious about. Other retails seem to have taken a more conservative approach over the last year while J.Crew has taken the opposite.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
This is what I'm curious about. Other retails seem to have taken a more conservative approach over the last year while J.Crew has taken the opposite.

I can't imagine they even stock enough of the stuff to make a HUGE difference, but perhaps it draws people in who then leave with "chinos" and "hoodies".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads