• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Artist is Absent: The Official Maison Martin Margiela Thread

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up for those interested. The 5zip this season is made in India. Quality seems okay, but all the hardware and some of the cutting on the pattern has massive shortcuts compared to earlier iterations. I'm pretty furious considering they're asking the same price, but I guess I can't be too miffed because I got it at a heavy discount. Part and parcel to the diesel acquisition is my guess, just disappointing to see the iconic pieces outsourced to literally the cheapest place on Earth to make leather.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the cuffs and hems they stitch the hem to finish two pieces of leather rather than fold over and have a hidden stitch. Basically seams everywhere where it should be clean. Stuff you'd see on a 300-400 dollar leather but not a 2000 dollar leather. Also the hardware is unbranded generic and probably not even ykk, and the leather is the most unremarkable sheep I've seen ever released on the model (having owned 2 before and sold for idiotic reasons)

Old style (clean hems and cuffs):
698128-404c8628bff37dd6612949708ebb4ee1.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At the cuffs and hems they stitch the hem to finish two pieces of leather rather than fold over and have a hidden stitch. Basically seams everywhere where it should be clean. Stuff you'd see on a 300-400 dollar leather but not a 2000 dollar leather. Also the hardware is unbranded generic and probably not even ykk, and the leather is the most unremarkable sheep I've seen ever released on the model (having owned 2 before and sold for idiotic reasons)

Old style (clean hems and cuffs):
698128-404c8628bff37dd6612949708ebb4ee1.jpg

They've been using that single needle stitch for a while. I have a five-zip from 2013, which has a folded back leather cuff. That one was made in Romania. I have four others that have a single needle stitch on the cuff, but it's done neatly and on the edge. One is made in Italy (haven't checked country of origin tags on the others). I suspect some others are simply too thick to fold over -- at least that's the main point of difference I can see on my five five-zips. The one made from the thinnest leather has a folded back cuff, the others have a single needle stitch.

I don't know if that's really a "massive shortcut in pattern." Seems like it could come out for any number of reasons like that, not just because of cost.

All of mine have unbranded zippers. Personally wouldn't want zipper branding on a minimalist style jacket.

Basically seams everywhere where it should be clean.

Where else do you see new stitching besides the cuff?

JSAN

Reaction score
I have a 1st season Galliano era with chunky M8 Riri zippers, and made in Italy.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Kind of a “click that like button” YouTube video but pretty informative, I had no idea the coolest Tabi Heels were just a sole and came with tape so the wearer could tape their feet on to the sole......Margiela man

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting into MMM and I picked these up the other day from a thrift (granted, to re-sell as they don't fit) what season are they from? Also, if anyone can point me in the right direction on how to determine the season Margiela pieces are from that'd be amazing.
58E69A8C8BA44EF789DD39646F7A8660.jpg
365DDF9D53D84D34BEF5652DFB34F85C.jpg
30319E9343B5489EBF3B58DEC3FB804C.jpg

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“click that like button” YouTube video​

You don’t have to pronounce croissant or karaoke like you’re French or Japanese, but “Mason Marjella Tabby Boots” is just going too far, especially in a video where you’re supposedly dropping some knowledge.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did feel funny about dude saying "mason" like Martin was a bricklayer. ...Tell me how I should be pronouncing tabi though.

Vegard

Reaction score
Love this thread! So much knowledge and great info!

505333953_2_ShoeFrontQtr.jpeg
Searching for these in a 46-12uk-13us. Anyone here tried these or own a pair?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i too would like to know how to pronounce tabby

NycLondon

Reaction score
This is an amazing, almost scholarly thread. I was lucky enough to see the Martin Margiela retrospective last April (2018) in Paris. Before this exhibition, which was comprehensive, I had known about him as an "important" designer, but not really appreciated his work. While I still prefer Yohji and Issey to wear, I now appreciate his intellectual contribution.
margielaParis2018.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics