• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The art of being stylish in hot summers

the_sulks

Reaction score
When it’s cold it is no brainer to match and wear some stylish bags, coats, suits, shirts (it goes without saying your shirt is tucked in in this case), trousers, and shoes. However as soon as hot weather starts many people find it pretty hard to wear their shirts tucked in. That is the reason they spring for some casual clothes. I just can’t comprehend though how to match some fancy bag and coat (it might be pretty cold in the mornings even in summers) with the casual shirt which is not tucked in and jeans (it would be ridiculous to wear a non tucked in shirt with the trousers).

If you are a software developer working in Google you probably could not care less. On the other hand, if you are some sort of auditor working in KPMG you have to forget about casual clothes.

The question is how do you manage to look stylish on streets when it is hot.

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen suits.

Colour co-ordination (stick to colour pairs blue-white, yellow-blue, red-white)

Tailored clothes. A decent pair of chino-shorts cut slim and long with deck shoes and a shirt looks absolutely fine in 40 degree heat.

You should be a little worried that you don't consider colour to be important at all times. Just because you have a "fancy" bag and coat, does not mean they look good together. In the same way you wouldn't wear a black tie with a blue suit, you shouldn't wear lime green shirts with red shorts.

Lear

Reaction score
Although not a solution, the problem for most of us is the amount we extend beyond our feet. Most of us employ the tightness of a tucked shirt and firm fitting jacket to keep shoe caps visible. However, once the heat hits and shirts untuck, you can forget it. All we can see is stomach, stomach and more stomach. So, the choices we have are either extended stomach with shirts untucked (not a good look), or compressed 'folds' hidded under sweaty clothing.

For these reasons I hate summer months. I partially lay the blame at the amount of convenience stores, fast food outlets and coffee
shops; Costa Coffee now do a mocha with whipped cream, three chocolate flakes and marshmallows on the side. If it weren't for
these places, summer would be a joy for all.

Lear

Edit: The government is at least trying to persuade companies to display calorific values on all products. It's a start.

the_sulks

Reaction score

Linen suits.
Colour co-ordination (stick to colour pairs blue-white, yellow-blue, red-white)
Tailored clothes. A decent pair of chino-shorts cut slim and long with deck shoes and a shirt looks absolutely fine in 40 degree heat.

Although not a solution, the problem for most of us is the amount we extend beyond our feet. Most of us employ the tightness of a tucked shirt and firm fitting jacket to keep shoe caps visible. However, once the heat hits and shirts untuck, you can forget it. All we can see is stomach, stomach and more stomach. So, the choices we have are either extended stomach with shirts untucked (not a good look), or compressed 'folds' hidded under sweaty clothing.
For these reasons I hate summer months.

The key moment of my concern is tucking in. Do you tuck in when it is 90 degrees outside? If the answer is yes, my question would be how do you manage to endure it?

Lear

Reaction score

The key moment of my concern is tucking in. Do you tuck in when it is 90 degrees outside? If the answer is yes, my question would be how do you manage to endure it?

I always look at things logically. There are only two solutions here:

1.) Discomfort

Or

2.) Embarasment

Discomfort always wins. There are no other options.

Lear

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Florida, the only problem I encounter is in neck ties. I can deal with tucked shirts, but the neck tie can be insufferable for en extended time period outside. Otherwise, I actually enjoy the polo & chinos look, so not too much concern casually.

aj555

Reaction score
In Florida, the only problem I encounter is in neck ties. I can deal with tucked shirts, but the neck tie can be insufferable for en extended time period outside. Otherwise, I actually enjoy the polo & chinos look, so not too much concern casually.

I'm in the same boat as you. I wore a necktie yesterday outside for a while, and was definitely not pleasant.

tinsel

Reaction score

If you are a software developer working in Google you probably could not care less. On the other hand, if you are some sort of auditor working in KPMG you have to forget about casual clothes.

I love that these are the two examples you gave.

How to look stylish in the summer?
Seersucker.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Although not a solution, the problem for most of us is the amount we extend beyond our feet. Most of us employ the tightness of a tucked shirt and firm fitting jacket to keep shoe caps visible. However, once the heat hits and shirts untuck, you can forget it. All we can see is stomach, stomach and more stomach. So, the choices we have are either extended stomach with shirts untucked (not a good look), or compressed 'folds' hidded under sweaty clothing..

How about the obvious solution: a diet?

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also buy clothing that sweat doesn't show as easily through. I sweat a lot during the summer. It's unavoidable. I am not some big ***** either, I'm 6' and 180lbs -- very lean. I just sweat tons, I am not sure if I should attribute it to my parents always keeping the house cold growing up so I grew acclimated to a cooler temperature or what.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also buy clothing that sweat doesn't show as easily through. I sweat a lot during the summer. It's unavoidable. I am not some big ***** either, I'm 6' and 180lbs -- very lean. I just sweat tons, I am not sure if I should attribute it to my parents always keeping the house cold growing up so I grew acclimated to a cooler temperature or what.

Hyperhidrosis? :confused:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads