Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The art of being stylish in hot summers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by the_sulks, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. ALWAYS tuck. Just ask my friend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

2. romafan

romafan Senior member

a few years ago we were fishing up on the kootenai - it was 98 degrees...

3. gort

gort Senior member

Perhaps! Usually the back sweat that I get. Luckily not much in the pits so no crustified shirts for me.

4. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Well-Known Member

Bourbonbasted called me out on this a few months ago.

He was 100% right, and I thank him and owe him for it. At first it felt unnatural, now I look around and when I see people untucked I shudder to think that that was until recently me.

Regarding the heat, though - I'm facing exactly this problem, too. I live in Texas, and am getting started in coat and tie. It will be my first summer in coat and tie and I'm not sure it's going to be very comfortable.

I suppose the thing will be to find a tailor to remove the lining in all my favorite jackets?

I don't yet know enough about coat construction to be more specific, but I would think that if one knows they will be living in a hot climate, it would make sense to have coats modified such that all their insulation was removed.

ccm

5. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

I agree. However, there can be no embarrassment if you spring for casual when it is really hot. If you wear casual shirts and jeans you don't have to tuck your shirt in.

6. bourbonbasted

Cheers! In terms of your worries about the heat, you can certainly get the lining removed from a jacket. However, I would caution to take a close look at it first. Generally jackets with full linings have pockets sewn into the lining or pockets made from the lining. Others have linings that cover construction (that is to say it is the "raw" stitching, canvas, etc directly under the lining). It is important that you take these things into consideration and talk with your tailor about how to address them.

Moving forward, I would suggest fresco and tropical wool for in the office and linen on casual Fridays/weekends. Also, wear a heather grey v-neck undershirt to keep from perspiration showing through. Finally, stick to lighter, looser weaves on shirts (avoid clunky OCBDs). However, do remember, the lighter and more gossamer the shirt, the more likely it is to show sweat.

7. TexasDan

TexasDan Senior member

I took in some jackets to my tailor to have lining removed and he said it wouldn't work for that reason. The heat was brutal last summer.

8. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

I try my best to either be loafing poolside or at the beach, so my concern is finding decent trunks and shorts.

you guys make it seem you are outside digging ditches. I assume if you are wearing a suit you work indoors with air conditioning?

9. bourbonbasted

Yeah, as I said it's not always doable. And there are a lot of tailors that don't want to deal with the fuss, TBH. I had lining removed from one of my jackets and the tailor had to resew a couple of pockets. It was quite expensive after everything was said and done and all and all, really not worth it.

10. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Linen suits
    Fresco Cloth
    Unlined Suits
    Cotton-Linen blend shirts
    Wide hats
    Have your manservant hand you iced drinks every 10 minutes

11. hookem12387

hookem12387 Senior member

In Dallas, Houston, and to a lesser extent Austin anytime you're in a suit/tie you're probably in climate control anyway, be it your car or a building. I'd imagine it's the same throughout the rest of the state. It can suck walking to get lunch sometimes, but it's such a short period of time.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do what I do. Suffer and complain. At least I look good while doing it.

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

DC summer heat and humidity is absolutely brutal. I still wear jacket and dress shirt, tucked in, but I wear a tie less often. I have about 20 min or so total walking each way to work, which is plenty enough time to get very sweaty in DC. One thing that helps is to carry just a plain white cotton handkerchief in my pants pocket to wipe away sweat from my brow periodically.

14. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

Just a second thought. If you choose discomfort you may start to sweat too much that causes the embarrassment, too.

15. the_sulks

the_sulks Senior member

One will has to put a portable air conditioner or a pack of ice in his shirt if he not only tucks in but wears a necktie, too.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012