The art and non-science of dressing well for men

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mensimageconsultant, Oct 5, 2006.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

2. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I will assume he is not a forum reader.

"There are some prescribed standards for what suits should be worn when (including color and style choices), but I strongly suggest wearing whatever you prefer. For example, black suits for men are often seen as a "no-no" except for funerals, but this is one of the most ridiculous suggestions I've ever heard."

"Another silly idea is that the bottom button should "never be buttoned" and/or "suits are not made to have all the buttons closed". Hogwash. Button it, or not, as you prefer. My tailor strongly feels that buttoning all the buttons is not only the right thing to do but it also "makes you look younger". So even if it's wrong, take heart there are at least two other people in the world who think buttoning the bottom button is OK."

3. dusty

dusty Senior member

Shoes are a different story. I usually wear Allen-Edmonds dress shoes when I'm trying to dress "very neatly", and Ecco dress shoes otherwise. Eccos are great dress shoes because they look decent, are very comfortable, and extremely sturdy. Allen-Edmonds are beautiful shoes with truly excellent leather, but they're fairly expensive and leather soles wear out pretty quickly.

Did you post this just because it's so terrible?

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

My tailor strongly feels that buttoning all the buttons is not only the right thing to do but it also "makes you look younger".
    I'll say it makes you look younger. I buttoned the bottom button of my first communion suit - when I was 6. Then my grandfather caught me and set me straight. EDIT: typo

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Shoes are a different story. I usually wear Allen-Edmonds dress shoes when I'm trying to dress "very neatly", and Ecco dress shoes otherwise. Eccos are great dress shoes because they look decent, are very comfortable, and extremely sturdy. Allen-Edmonds are beautiful shoes with truly excellent leather, but they're fairly expensive and leather soles wear out pretty quickly.

Did you post this just because it's so terrible?

There's nothing wrong with what he says about Ecco shoes, as I think they are a nice choice for people who have to spent a lot of time on their feet, although I think that most people on this forum wouldn't consider AE shoes to be expensive heh

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I will assume he is not a forum reader.
    My tailor strongly feels that buttoning all the buttons is not only the right thing to do but it also "makes you look younger"

We need to find out who his tailor is so we can avoid him.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for posting this horrific piece of work. I cannot believe that (a) this guy with such obvious poor taste and judgement thinks he is well positioned to write a piece on suits and style, and (b) this garbage is actually published

EDIT: his picture makes me understand this whole thing a little better. No doubt I would love this guy to give me style advice... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

[​IMG]

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Thanks for posting this horrific piece of work. I cannot believe that (a) this guy with such obvious poor taste and judgement thinks he is well positioned to write a piece on suits and style, and (b) this garbage is actually published

EDIT: his picture makes me understand this whole thing a little better. No doubt I would love this guy to give me style advice... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just LOL in real life after I saw that haha.

10. Flame

Flame Senior member

[​IMG] Ironically...

11. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I just LOL in real life after I saw that haha.

I laughed for like 30 seconds, I swear. Funniest self-portrait of all time.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

At the very least he has a proper camera. However, that expression is indeed extremely amusing. And yet, he retains a certain amount of respect because unlike most people of not particularly attractive visages, he isn't a slob.

13. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

The hippy hair and the whole thing. Ouch!

14. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Man, this is a rough crowd.

15. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

It's interesting advice. He is trying to be helpful and makes some good points. However, he expresses some contradictory views about adhering to norms himself, including disregarding rules that he evidently doesn't understand. It seems that he has at least browsed some style/fashion websites.