• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The art and non-science of dressing well for men

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will assume he is not a forum reader.

"There are some prescribed standards for what suits should be worn when (including color and style choices), but I strongly suggest wearing whatever you prefer. For example, black suits for men are often seen as a "no-no" except for funerals, but this is one of the most ridiculous suggestions I've ever heard."

"Another silly idea is that the bottom button should "never be buttoned" and/or "suits are not made to have all the buttons closed". Hogwash. Button it, or not, as you prefer. My tailor strongly feels that buttoning all the buttons is not only the right thing to do but it also "makes you look younger". So even if it's wrong, take heart there are at least two other people in the world who think buttoning the bottom button is OK."

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes are a different story. I usually wear Allen-Edmonds dress shoes when I'm trying to dress "very neatly", and Ecco dress shoes otherwise. Eccos are great dress shoes because they look decent, are very comfortable, and extremely sturdy. Allen-Edmonds are beautiful shoes with truly excellent leather, but they're fairly expensive and leather soles wear out pretty quickly.

Did you post this just because it's so terrible?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
My tailor strongly feels that buttoning all the buttons is not only the right thing to do but it also "makes you look younger".
I'll say it makes you look younger. I buttoned the bottom button of my first communion suit - when I was 6. Then my grandfather caught me and set me straight. EDIT: typo

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Shoes are a different story. I usually wear Allen-Edmonds dress shoes when I'm trying to dress "very neatly", and Ecco dress shoes otherwise. Eccos are great dress shoes because they look decent, are very comfortable, and extremely sturdy. Allen-Edmonds are beautiful shoes with truly excellent leather, but they're fairly expensive and leather soles wear out pretty quickly.

Did you post this just because it's so terrible?

There's nothing wrong with what he says about Ecco shoes, as I think they are a nice choice for people who have to spent a lot of time on their feet, although I think that most people on this forum wouldn't consider AE shoes to be expensive heh

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I will assume he is not a forum reader.
My tailor strongly feels that buttoning all the buttons is not only the right thing to do but it also "makes you look younger"

We need to find out who his tailor is so we can avoid him.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this horrific piece of work. I cannot believe that (a) this guy with such obvious poor taste and judgement thinks he is well positioned to write a piece on suits and style, and (b) this garbage is actually published

EDIT: his picture makes me understand this whole thing a little better. No doubt I would love this guy to give me style advice...
eek.gif

perphoto-big5.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Thanks for posting this horrific piece of work. I cannot believe that (a) this guy with such obvious poor taste and judgement thinks he is well positioned to write a piece on suits and style, and (b) this garbage is actually published

EDIT: his picture makes me understand this whole thing a little better. No doubt I would love this guy to give me style advice...
eek.gif

perphoto-big5.jpg

I just LOL in real life after I saw that haha.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I just LOL in real life after I saw that haha.

I laughed for like 30 seconds, I swear. Funniest self-portrait of all time.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At the very least he has a proper camera. However, that expression is indeed extremely amusing. And yet, he retains a certain amount of respect because unlike most people of not particularly attractive visages, he isn't a slob.

Duveen

Reaction score
The hippy hair and the whole thing. Ouch!

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, this is a rough crowd.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting advice. He is trying to be helpful and makes some good points. However, he expresses some contradictory views about adhering to norms himself, including disregarding rules that he evidently doesn't understand. It seems that he has at least browsed some style/fashion websites.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads