The Armoury - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yfyf, Oct 18, 2010.

1. david123

david123 Senior member

I just received a pair of these: http://www.thearmourystore.com/shoes/carmina-brown-punched-captoe-oxford-simpson-last

A few questions:
    1. The color is a fair bit different in real life compared to that photo. Is it just lighting or is it a matter of polishing? How can I make mine look like those?
    2. Any particular polish recommended for this color?
    3. I was thinking I'd put toe and heel taps on them. Any reason not to?

Thanks!

2. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

I would use saphir neutral, med brown, or dark brown depending on how light or dark you want the shoe to become over time
    Metal toe taps definitely help since the toe typically wears out quicker than the rest of the sole, but I don't have heel taps

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

How are they different IRL? I was looking at these for my next purchase. Can you describe, or even better, post pics of yours?

4. david123

david123 Senior member

Spoo -- I will try to post pics when I get home tonight. I was just a little disappointed because they are so beautiful on the site. IRL they are a bit lighter and a solid color, or without that nice streakiness (I'm not expressing this very well). I know they will look better with wear, but the photo on the site is of unworn shoes and they look incredible. Your suede Carminas were really nice but I thought also quite different in color from the photo on the site, which showed almost a dark olive green color.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If you could post pics that would be really helpful. Yes, I thought the ones I am wearing today were going to be more of a green hue, but they are a true chocolate brown. Actually prefer it this way though, so Im pleased! :)

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

David, I have the same pair and they are really nice IRL. True, they don't have antiquing built in but think of it as a blank canvas. You can use black polish to achieve this.

7. david123

david123 Senior member

Thanks, glad to hear. I guess I'm just a little intimidated because they're the first pair I've bought in that price range and I don't want to mess them up. Did you try antiquing yours? Any suggestions on what to use?

8. NORE

NORE Senior member

These were a welcomed alternative to the pair of EG Midfords I own which are in dark oak and antiqued. Senior member gdl203 asked me about the leather, and at the time I wasn't sure what he meant because the comparison involved Vass which I have no experience with. EGs tend to come already antiqued which makes for a great looking shoe, which I suspect you are seeking.

Point being, these shoes are crafted expertly and have the potential to age beautifully. they appear different in different light. If you want to have the antiqued look, I would suggest using [nearly] any wax polish in black on the toe and heel quarters followed buy a conditioner and more paste wax.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  9. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

^^You might first want to polish in a darker brown then add the black on top of that rather than just straight with an initial polish of black. I'd be hesitant with doing that.

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

To clarify I meant polishing only a bit of the toe and heel quarter with black. The shoes are plenty dark as they are.

11. david123

david123 Senior member

NORE: Since you have these, were you ever able to get a matching belt? The Carmina one The Armoury has is apparently a different color, and they're out in my size in any case.

12. SpooPoker

Bristopher, you have these too? Can I see some IRL pics?

13. NORE

NORE Senior member

I already had a matching belt (not Carmina).

I'll have to take some snaps on the roof when the sun comes back out. Watch this space.

14. david123

david123 Senior member

I only have a pocket camera, but here are a couple photos from last night. The first one is more accurate but I thought I'd upload both. After looking at them the second time, I do like them quite a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. SpooPoker

Thanks for posting them - they are lovely. So you would say they are more chocolate than chestnut, right?