• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
IMG_8339.jpg

“Meditation on Exposed Plumbing”

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At least it's not boring?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Getting through the EIR for that must have been a PITA

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone subscribe to any architecture magazines these days? I was thinking of getting Detail, kind of expensive though.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gotta give the alma mater some love!

Who can say that this isn't the most charming way to anchor a quad with a charming, resoundingly collegiate library?

Library-Plaza-2-499x320.jpg

IMG_5109-wmvbij.jpg

ajaxhelper

Somehow the ivory-tower-ensconced leadership believe this plan, bringing the amount of library receiving daylight to ~75% over the current ~20% will be more conducive to student enjoyment and academic pursuits! (Recently unveiled transformation plans)

170710_Exterior-View_cropped_25p.jpg

Also shoutout to our building that was literally designed to model the Bastille. Because who doesn't love thinking they're going to school in a former prison.
Urban-Life.jpg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Reminds me of my university, which has a large quadrange of beautiful, cloistered, classically-appealing sandstone buildings, but then has some pebble-dashed concrete, Brutalist bunkers immediately adjacent to the lovely, older buildings.

The great court:

Architectural_details_of_buildings_surrounding_the_Great_Court%2C_St_Lucia_Campus_University_of_Queensland_12.jpg

UQueensland.jpg

The library building:

web_UQFL466_AG_P_12.jpg

modernist-architecture-design-brisbane-exhibition-1.jpg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the main administration building is awful, too.

Here's an old photo - the stone buildings of the Great Court are just out of sight to the right of the photo:

8433226963_a41f6006fa_b.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Ah, the acrid taste of “raw” cement.

It’s shocking how many schools appear to have drawn inspiration from prisons. I made a joke about a building looking like a prison while visiting the CSU East Bay campus recently, and then a police car left the garage and I realized we were actually in front of the campus jail.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The urban myth passed on to freshman in my dorm was that it had been designed by a company that built prisons. I vaguely recall that being debunked, but it had truthiness.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
There’s an urban myth about SUNY Purchase that it has tunnels connecting it to the nearby National Guard base in case of riots.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The urban myth passed on to freshman in my dorm was that it had been designed by a company that built prisons. I vaguely recall that being debunked, but it had truthiness.

The urban myth about my freshman dorm was that it was built with zig-zagging hallways for riot control because of Kent State. I think this is a fairly common one.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The urban myth about my freshman dorm was that it was built with zig-zagging hallways for riot control because of Kent State. I think this is a fairly common one.

Yeah, the building I work in has the same stories attached to it.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know it's only a train station but Atlanta has some interesting public-transit related architecture. (Yes, this is now an Edina Lauds Atlanta Threak). Somehow the color scheme works as well but they are muting the colors in newer designs so I don't like it as much.

West_Lake_MARTA_station.jpg

The most peculiar and under-appreciated design (and it is very appreciated I just like it that much) is the Eiseman Building facade that is actually inside the station just under the ground level stretching between the two layers of tracks. When the station was built as a good but generic brutalist train station they demolished the Eiseman Building. In one of the rare piques of preservationism to hit Atlanta, rarer even still during that time, the facade was preserved and installed inside because the terra cotta was noteworthy and I assume fragile.

So anyway, it's always a little trippy to be heading down and inside only to be greeted by a glorious building's exterior.

5points2.jpg

Of course we also have plenty of stations like this where the generic publicly funded architecture won out. I suppose this is a way of asking any architecture historians: was there a dividing line when architecture for public buildings stopped having any sort of design principles? Like, this is purely function over form and to an extent I'm ok with that as a tax payer. But even buildings roughly 30 years old still had some interest and soul to their design.
Bankhead_MARTA_station,_Atlanta.JPG

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads