• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Such tiny American windows...

brokencycle

Reaction score

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just read From Bauhaus to Our House if you want a non-marsupialed critique of modern architecture.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Medwed would post a video from that piece of human garbage.

I wonder if he knows who he actually is. And, I thought that Medwed, whether one agrees with him or not, at least had pretensions to taste and to knowledge. It's quite clear that Alex Jones's catamite has neither.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I wonder if he knows who he actually is. And, I thought that Medwed, whether one agrees with him or not, at least had pretensions to taste and to knowledge. It's quite clear that Alex Jones's catamite has neither.

In my experience, pretentiousness is typically a vaneer to hide a lack of knowledge and understanding.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ethanm did you get lost on the interwebz again? This is a wrong thread for you dear.

You boys shooting the messenger again. 99% of the World does not live in your exemplary Architecture. The World has been made incredibly ugly by overactive OCD idiots such as Le Corbusier. I know cities in Europe that were beautiful and untouched by two wars and then destroyed by bureaucrats and rebuilt to be a model shithole a-la Le Corbusier. Anyone whose passion is to normalize ugliness deserves scorn.
Anyone who watches that video and thinks of Alex Jones does not deserve my time.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone who watches that video and thinks of Alex Jones does not deserve my time.

Yeah, anyone who watches a video produced by an Infowars employee and thinks of Alex Jones is an IDIOT!

btau

Reaction score
Rubbish video, rubbish rebuttal. Old mate in the video can't separate brutalist concrete jungle slums built in rubbish city fringe suburbs to be cheap housing for the proles from monuments to capitalism like the Shard. They aren't comparable in style, they aren't comparable in purpose, they aren't comparable in intended usage. All they have in common is
A: they are tall
B: they are built under the reign of Elizabeth the II.

I think the video has some some valid criticism, albeit overhyped toward Le Corbusier. I think the architectural world and governments learned a lot from these 70's & 80's brutalist monuments to utilitarian efficiency and if given a time machine, probably wouldn't build them again. It turns out that building row after row of ugly econobox towers with every corner possible cut, no green spaces, no common spaces, limited access to public transport, etc and filling them full of low socio economic status families isn't a great idea. But architects & town planners learn and move on, its a progressive art, which is part of why it doesn't make sense to compare other buildings like the shard to cookie cutter 70's/80's towers.

On the other hand, I cant' take the rebuttal article seriously either. It starts with ad hominem attacks to de-legitimise the video creator & doesn't get much better from there. The author refuses to acknowledge that SOME (not all) Modern architecture is.. well... Bad. Funny how it fails to mention any of the concrete shitboxes that make up a huge amount of the video's content, or Tour Montparnasse (tell me with a straight face that it looks like it belongs on the Paris skyline).

Personally I think its important to match architecture to the culture of the city.. Modern tech hub? Build a "Gates of Suzhou" (giant pants building). 500+ year old "old world" city... Maybe not. Balancing history vs progress is a tough one though. I'm sure there is some sort of middle ground between Paris's eye wateringly expensive real estate & sprawl or Brussels quaint charm & horrific traffic, vs turning your city into another generic skyscraper cookie cutter town with "unique character" earned by a few silly shaped buildings that the locals will give equally silly names (aka, "the can of ham", "the walkie talkie", "the gherkin")

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, I cant' take the rebuttal article seriously either. It starts with ad hominem attacks to de-legitimise the video creator & doesn't get much better from there. The author refuses to acknowledge that SOME (not all) Modern architecture is.. well... Bad. Funny how it fails to mention any of the concrete shitboxes that make up a huge amount of the video's content, or Tour Montparnasse (tell me with a straight face that it looks like it belongs on the Paris skyline).

Ad-hominem is a completely irrelevant accusation here, a fallacious use of logical fallacy (or 'fallacy fallacy') when the whole point of the rebuttal piece is to seek to understand who is behind the recent attacks on modern architecture, what are their motivations, and what the attacks mean and represent. And the point is that they are not really about architecture. There are and have been serious criticisms both of modernism(s) generally and particular architects and buildings. But these attacks are not really adding anything new here and there's little to be gained from trying to take their critique seriously as architectural critique. For the alt-right, architecture here is really just a stand-in for 'culture' more generally, which is the way in which the alt-right generally talks about race.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bet there aren't many single-owner FLW houses out there....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads