• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Labor cost certainly drives construction prices in San Francisco

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yours is indeed a very broad question, too broad to answer with any useful specificity, but: excluding land costs the low end of construction costs for a single-family standard FFE (tract-level Furniture/Fixtures/Equipment) nationally (so not a very useful number) in the USA was approximately $120/sf in 2020. The attached link, while far too average to be locally useful, does at least indicate a useful breakdown of all the contributing categories. Call that average more like $100-$175/sf depending, just to start.

That number is then incredibly affected by location (zip code), site accessibility, project size, contractor/labor availability, materials prices, soils conditions, etc. Any "added features" will balloon costs very quickly, on-site project revisions as well. Timing is also a huge variable: for instance the sf cost in Texas and the Frozen South last month was certainly not at all what it will be (much higher) in the coming months.

The most accurate method by far will be to check with at least several local contractors/architects/builders first...then to much lesser degree online for "residential building costs per square foot in [12345 zip code]", RSMeans Construction Data, and other similar resources.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Yours is indeed a very broad question, too broad to answer with any useful specificity, but: excluding land costs the low end of construction costs for a single-family standard FFE (tract-level Furniture/Fixtures/Equipment) nationally (so not a very useful number) in the USA was approximately $120/sf in 2020. The attached link, while far too average to be locally useful, does at least indicate a useful breakdown of all the contributing categories. Call that average more like $100-$175/sf depending, just to start.

That number is then incredibly affected by location (zip code), site accessibility, project size, contractor/labor availability, materials prices, soils conditions, etc. Any "added features" will balloon costs very quickly, on-site project revisions as well. Timing is also a huge variable: for instance the sf cost in Texas and the Frozen South last month was certainly not at all what it will be (much higher) in the coming months.

The most accurate method by far will be to check with at least several local contractors/architects/builders first...then to much lesser degree online for "residential building costs per square foot in [12345 zip code]", RSMeans Construction Data, and other similar resources.
If cost is driving the planning process have a look at https://www.marmol-radziner.com/category/architecture/prefab/ I think its an interesting alternative to hiring a practice with a good outcome. I've been in the Desert House and it was impressive.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If cost is driving the planning process have a look at https://www.marmol-radziner.com/category/architecture/prefab/ I think its an interesting alternative to hiring a practice with a good outcome. I've been in the Desert House and it was impressive.
MR are excellent architects (and acquaintances as well). Their work is indeed impressive, very coherent, extremely well-developed, and they have a long and legitimate track record. But I highly doubt their work is near the cost tier the OP mentioned; it is not exactly "lower-end" in terms of budget.

In general, ironically, prefab has rarely resulted in the overall reduced costs that are so often envisioned/purported/promised, and certainly not on sites that MR, Michelle Kaufmann, et al typically build on. One issue among many others is that often local contractors are not authorized by prefab builders/designers to erect the structures, since many of the systems are of course partially factory-pre-installed by the companies' own M/E/P etc fabricators...so pricing reductions via different (non-affiliated) contractors is typically not an option.

That said your suggestion to the OP is definitely a very valid option for them to research: if there are nearby pre-fab builders, then on more normal sites, with much more standard FFE than MR etc clients desire, lower-cost prefab shells are certainly a type to investigate. A friend built very cost-effective single-family housing using quonset huts/silo structures, dirt-cheap stuff, and the result is beautiful imo...but then again certainly not most people's cup of tea.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
MR are excellent architects (and acquaintances as well). Their work is indeed impressive, very coherent, extremely well-developed, and they have a long and legitimate track record. But I highly doubt their work is near the cost tier the OP mentioned; it is not exactly "lower-end" in terms of budget.

In general, ironically, prefab has rarely resulted in the overall reduced costs that are so often envisioned/purported/promised, and certainly not on sites that MR, Michelle Kaufmann, et al typically build on. One issue among many others is that often local contractors are not authorized by prefab builders/designers to erect the structures, since many of the systems are of course partially factory-pre-installed by the companies' own M/E/P etc fabricators...so pricing reductions via different (non-affiliated) contractors is typically not an option.

That said your suggestion to the OP is definitely a very valid option for them to research: if there are nearby pre-fab builders, then on more normal sites, with much more standard FFE than MR etc clients desire, lower-cost prefab shells are certainly a type to investigate. A friend built very cost-effective single-family housing using quonset huts/silo structures, dirt-cheap stuff, and the result is beautiful imo...but then again certainly not most people's cup of tea.

I like the idea of prefabs after seeing some on Grand Designs like the Huf House. When I look around online though, it does seem you're right that they don't save money. I read that in the US there are a lot of regulations that prevent having a 100% done house that just needs to be assembled (inspectors need to inspect the plumbing, electrical, etc). Some of the prefabs I have seen that post budgetary pricing are often far and away above what it costs to hire people.

One of my neighbors is actually in the process of doing a prefab now, so I'll be curious how it comes out pricing wise.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone in this thread an actual architect?

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Is anyone in this thread an actual architect?
7E95E376-E406-4E98-9616-C1B5F3C6BD12.jpeg

jeradjames

Reaction score
Roommate/best friend who I live with is an Architect at a residential firm in Seattle and said average is about $300 per sq ft being conservative (new construction). My girlfriend's parents are building a home in Montana and their architect said they would be lucky to get away with $300 right now. Definitely higher priced areas though so interpret that as you like.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Here in Sydney you are looking at 6-10 K AUD per sqm. This is high level etc but you don’t save a lot underspec’ing finishes.
For reference the builders on a recent project were on $700 AUD a day cash per person. This is labour only and ex materials. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in Sydney you are looking at 6-10 K AUD per sqm. This is high level etc but you don’t save a lot underspec’ing finishes.
For reference the builders on a recent project were on $700 AUD a day cash per person. This is labour only and ex materials. Not a bad gig if you can get it.
There in Sydney you also have Glenn Murcutt, one of the greatest modern architects ever. So very fortunate, Sydney. ?

Nbarbar

Reaction score
There in Sydney you also have Glenn Murcutt, one of the greatest modern architects ever. So very fortunate, Sydney. ?
Yes, he is one of the greats. You might enjoy some of his students work, Peter Stuchbury is worth a look for example.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are in the planning process for building a house in a midsized, midwestern city. We own an infill lot in a desirable neighborhood and have been working with an architect we like for over a year, but first met him about 4 years ago when we bought the lot. The house is mid-century inspired, with simple details but not industrial. We intended on using ICF for our build, which is a 1800 sq ft (each floor) ranch over a full walkout basement.

We have struggled, like many people, to find contractors qualified to do the work largely because of the ICF. Additionally, the price increases over the last year have been insane. We recently got a fairly detailed building estimate this week for $750,000, which is great except for the fact that our budget is $500,000...

The ICF blocks we were going to use raised their prices 20% on April 1st, and other materials seem to be going the same way, on top of the increases we saw during the shutdowns. Our architect and builder are convinced the price increases at this point are unrelated to anything other than driving profits, since production is largely back at full capacity. Whether those prices are sustainable or not seems moot since the wont be returning to pre-pandemic numbers irrespective of the market cooling off some. This process has been legitimately crazy and I honestly dont know how this is going to end.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads