1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Architecture Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Jan 31, 2009.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

wtf, guiz. take your awful taste to the car thread.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. StephenHero

Rare is the day in which when I come across a social housing project I'd actually want to live in. This is really outstanding. It takes a lot of wisdom to stick with something this simple and sensibly vernacular without imposing much of a creative footprint. Of note is the effective use of minimal wood accents to contrast what is usually felt to be the homogeneity of plaster and concrete. Dollar for dollar it's about the most effective little design choice you could ask for.

Ripoll - Tizon
    Social Housing Project
    Majorca, Spain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

That is excellent. In addition to the wood accents, the treatment of the chimney tops is a great use of simple, inexpensive materials.

My only quibble is with the use of the open metal fences between the private yards. Apply some of that same wood there, and it would really increase the usability of those spaces (IMO, of course).

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Stephen you are going to love this.

[​IMG]

Prices start at $4500 a sq.m.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Love this thread, just discovered it !

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Where is this?

8. StephenHero

The Fourth Ring of Hell.

1 person likes this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

SH, what is your critique of the house I posted above?

10. StephenHero

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Did you see it? What's your opinion on it?

13. StephenHero

The architecture is alright. Lots of character, but some annoying detailing choices. It's a flawed product of its time. The junk on the shelves is really annoying.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Detroit's only Wright house, a cement two story Usonian.

I always thought Wright was considered better than "alright?"

15. StephenHero

He built some cluttered things. Many of his worst buildings are made of concrete, because he was trying to exploit its form-making potential in a structural way that was ahead of the construction technology that was needed in order to pull it off with a gracefulness we might expect today. In the case of this house, he's using precast concrete window mullions to support the living room's roof so that he could get away with not using an internal support column in the living space. This affords us the unobstructed view of the exterior windows, but again, the poor quality concrete required those mullions to be so thick that you actually get less light and less exterior views than if he had accepted the column and went with thinner mullions made of wood with larger glass panes. It comes across as chunky and unrefined. The checker pattern of opening windows he's using is also annoying, but for some reason I suspect that's not original, because it doesn't match the pattern of the ceiling lighting.

If you look at the house as an object of design, it's extremely impressive, so you can take satisfaction in all the geometry he's using, but it falls short for reasons of livibility. This often happens with Richard Meier as well, whose ability to control the design of complex geometry in his buildings is incredible, even if some of his spaces that result are just kind of meh and white.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Interesting thoughts. Thanks.

17. StephenHero

Another general quip is that permanent furniture integrated into an architectural space often never works as the occupier might intend to live, so in this instance, it's a heavy-handed design solution that Wright imposes on the person living there. Experience has told us that architects are better off refraining themselves from all attempts at laying out furniture, with a particular peeve in this room being the awkwardly large distance of the seating from the windows. Intuition would tell us we'd possibly prefer to get much closer to the glass, because you need to be very close to those smaller windows to see a large, unobstructed portion of the exterior, (which was the primary motivation for LeCorbusier's band window in his five points.) There's actually a psychological component of security to that, because a person standing outside the house and looking in through the small window would leave those of us inside more exposed to their vision than they would leave exposed to us, which is voyeuristic and unsettling. The room has to be a few storeys up in the air to prevent that.

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

That Wright house is a good example of what happens when shitty taste meets money.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Copenhagen aka. the city of bland real-estate development.

Sounds about right.

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

And yet...

[​IMG]

lefty