The Architecture Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Jan 31, 2009.

1. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

The Richfield building, I believe Los Angeles's only demolished skyscraper. It was a tacky deco nightmare and I'm okay with it being gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

Penn Station used to look like that, and not the POS underground mess I was in on Friday?

Damnit.

3. softy

softy Senior member

Penn Station used to look like that, and not the POS underground mess I was in on Friday?

Damnit.

Yeah, it's a fucking travesty.

4. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

In comparing the old Penn Station in New York City with its pink granite and Doric columns to the new Penn Station with its dark, utilitarian passageways, architectural historian Vincent Scully said, "Through it one entered the city like a god...one scuttles in now like a rat."

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Expo '70: The Assault on Taste [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. StephenHero

Berlage's Beurs Van Berlage in Amsterdam I think it's a really great prototype for 19th century urban architecture. Simplified form, open plan and expansive public space, refined details, great materiality and weight, and a very ephemeral atmosphere. Exactly the type of building we don't have enough of. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

Ah, the 70's. When expressionism jumped the shark.

8. alexanduh

alexanduh Senior member

some pretty interesting stuff in that expo 70 post. info on the cubes dropping water?

9. StephenHero

Water goes up the tube then falls down. One of the 20th century's major developments in gravity.

10. softy

softy Senior member

Re: Expo '70, certainly a lot of irrational exuberance, and the plans for 4,000 meter pyramidal biodomes were beyond insane... but the Tower of the Sun is one of the more memorable icons of Okamoto Tarō's career and, not being a piece of architecture, is an enjoyable standalone piece of sculpture. You might even call it Western Japan's Tokyo Tower in terms of cultural importance.

11. StephenHero

I can't see how this is anything but dumb. Most of these major young firms are struggling to remain fully staffed after ballooning their offices in the pre-recession starchitecture bubble. If you have a competition for a half billion dollar project @5-10% commission, you're going to get everyone's best proposal and you give each firm's project team at least two-three months of wages and work. Unless you specifically have an A+ list architect in mind (H&deM, Gehry, OMA, Zumthor, Renzo, Hadid, or Holl) why wouldn't you just let all five or six go at it in a competition to give yourself some options? You can still rig it anyway. Snohetta is a quality firm, but they're definitely not immune from an underwhelming scheme, and most of their portfolio is circulation-intensive infrastructure or high rises, something an art museum is definitely not.
    Well, here it is: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Very ambiguous presentation. It's tall. That's all I can tell.

12. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

13. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Looks like a warehouse.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I hate fake Arco lamps.

15. softy

softy Senior member