1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Architecture Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Jan 31, 2009.

1. hrb

hrb Senior member

^^^ thanks for that one SG. Also, thanks everyone who posts and adds to this thread. Though i have nothing of substance to contribute, I am a constant checker/reader here and appreciate everyones contris.

2. 660

660 Well-Known Member

Isn't the completion of "the tallest building in the world" a sure tell sign of a looming crisis?

Empire State Building = the great depression

Petronas Twin Towers = asians crisis

Burj al Arab = crash of Dubai property market

So will the extreme real estate bubble of China burst with this? And will it send us into a even deeper recession?

(I know this isn't a fool proof theory with taipei 101 beeing one of the exeptions that comes to mind)

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

China is going to implode at some point my money is on sooner than later, but I doubt it will drag the rest of the world down, as the companies will just run like the wind out of china back to the US and Europe and then we have a buch of "new jobs".

Qatar is planing a 1000m tower, it's going to be interesting to see if they are going to follow the "curse".

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm more concerned about the utter hideousness of that building...

1 person likes this.
  5. hrb

hrb Senior member

It blends in with the skyline quite well. Nice to see the architect(s) consulting with the city on creating a flowing aesthetic.

6. sugarbutch

Not sure if serious... :paranoia:

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Did you read the article?

They plan to build it in 90 days and it's all prefab. I think it looks like it should be in Gothham city or something.

8. Laurens

Laurens Senior member

It would be quite fitting for a greedy villain, at what level are they installing the shark infested swimming pools?

9. Laurens

Laurens Senior member

I haven' been following it very closely but Oscar Niemeyer's condition suddenly worsened over the last few weeks. The 104-year old must be one of the greatest and recognizable architects of the past century.

[​IMG]

One of his most recognizable works, the cathedral in Brasilia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A year or so ago his last big creation was unveiled:The Niemeyer Centre in Spain.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  10. hrb

hrb Senior member

i kid. i kid.

I did, it will be interesting to watch the progress, though i can't say i would be in a rush to occupy an upper floor.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  11. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Tezuka Architects
    House To Catch The Mountain
    Kamakura, Japan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

The disappointing thing of these kind of houses is that they can't seem to incorporate living there with them looking good. If this one had some furniture in it it would look only half as 'thight'.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  13. sugarbutch

Dunno, man. I can imagine it with furniture and I still like it. Dat cantilever...

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

All things Bauhaus, Modern, or blended craftsman/modern would look great in that house without subtracting from the feel. I would argue that it would be improved with the right taste in furniture. Unfortunately it seems, at least in my area, that great taste in real estate and great taste in furniture are rarely overlapping.

15. hrb

hrb Senior member

Have any of you reupholstered an LC2 Chair in the past? Experience on cost for a decent aniline leather? Feel free to PM so as not to take the thread off topic.

16. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I found it to be better to simply source new covers from Cassina. I ordered a set for one of my clients, her chair was about 50 years old. Ordered inserts as well, in this case in down.

It was in the upgraded leather. Reasonable enough th it was better then sourcing questionable work elsewhere, also allowing the chair to retain its authenticity.

17. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

18. Laurens

Laurens Senior member

First thing I saw when I woke-up, damn.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  19. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20621265