The Architecture Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Jan 31, 2009.

1. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Steven Holl's library in Queens got the green light yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do they sell apple computers?

2. otc

otc Senior member

Went on a private tour Renzo Piano's modern wing of the AIC last night. We were going through at twilight when the sky was still a deep royal blue. I don't think I have ever been inside when it was dark enough for all of the scrims to be up (they are down during the day to protect the art from excess sun) and the unobstructed views were awesome--especially the gallery looking out a the Gehry ampitheater at night. It was very obvious that Piano designed the building not to be in competition with the surrounding architecture but more in the spirit of giving and sharing. A lot of the tour was looking at what the building did for the curators which is something I had not thought about. It opened up a lot of sight lines between works that were sorted chronologically and geographically so you could quickly see distinctions between works as an artist matured. [​IMG]

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I was there a couple weeks back. I thought the galleries were very nice, particularly the third floor galleries with the early modern works that have the light filtering ceiling. But I think the lobby area was really disappointing. I don't get why he divided the floor space with an off-center line of chunky walls and irregularly spaced voids. I would have expected something much more regimented and symmetrical. It should have been a very grand and linear processional space but it was just boring and unfocused. [​IMG]

4. pruppert

pruppert Senior member

Nicolai's review of the new DS+R building, which I'm sure a few of you've seen already. Regardless, here.

Interiors seem fairly dynamic, but given the width of the building, I wonder how quickly those visual relationships between the different sides are broken. Given the use of the spaces, it's almost voyeuristic. Seems to fit in fairly unobtrusively, and the siding is an nice reinterpretation of what (supposedly) is there contextually. The similarity between conceptual rendering and the final project is impressive.

I asked my friend what makes architecture handsome, like the review claims this is, and his response was that handsome architecture has something interesting going on inside, like a man, and pretty buildings have nothing going for them besides their exterior, just like some . . .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. otc

otc Senior member

I was there a couple weeks back. I thought the galleries were very nice, particularly the third floor galleries with the early modern works that have the light filtering ceiling. But I think the lobby area was really disappointing. I don't get why he divided the floor space with an off-center line of chunky walls and irregularly spaced voids. I would have expected something much more regimented and symmetrical. It should have been a very grand and linear processional space but it was just boring and unfocused.

[​IMG]

What is the astronaut doing in the middle of the shot? It looks like summer (and it is missing a really cool permanent installation that went in recently on the left wall that reacts to the wind outside that I think helps with the irregular voids) and she has the down piled on!

I like the cathedral aspect of the entryway--and the simple form of the exposed lighting ties very well to some of the roots of Chicago architecture (speaking of which, did you make it over to the Sullivan's Chicago stock exchange trading floor that they pieced back together in a back corner of the museum?).

Also...I had never taken the elevator before and it was a pretty awesome elevator. Glass to the courtyard and a glass ceiling so you can see up the shaft which opens up to the rooftop.

6. StephenHero

[​IMG] holy crap I didn't even notice that guy. I did not. I was in a hurry to run through the place. As a whole, I think the complex is just great architecturally. I like it better than the Met in NY.

7. StephenHero

Nicolai's review of the new DS+R building,
    The interiors are great, but I can't get over the "peeled" facade. Everything about the building wants to be orthogonal, but it's like they insisted on adding some clever element. Seems a bit contrived. Speaking of really nice rehearsal spaces, Jean Nouvel's Opera House in Lyon is great. A friend and I had to get a janitor to let us in, but if anyone goes they should make the same effort. Incredible views. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. venessian

venessian Senior member

I would love to visit the AIC and Lyon one day. Beautiful buildings.

9. StephenHero

If you're not suspending shit over berms and cliffs for absolutely no reason, you ain't shit. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. wootx

wootx Senior member

[​IMG]
    Lol it sucks to admit I like this one

11. venessian

venessian Senior member

If you're not suspending shit over berms and cliffs for absolutely no reason, you ain't shit.

And the thread takes the predictable step into the banal...one step forward, two steps back....

12. StephenHero

Then post something interesting.

13. venessian

venessian Senior member

I have tried, and I could again, but I don't really see the point anymore. This thread is tiring 99.9% of the time I look into it. There isn't that much creative or interesting dialogue here, sorry, and perhaps I too have somewhat fallen victim to the cynicism. There isn't really any good discussion. A lot of photos of really bad work; a lot of snarky, less than witty fairly juvenile commentary; etc. I don't get it, but it certainly isn't that inspiring. I guess I was hoping for a place that had less banality and some interesting and novel discussion. Sorry.

14. alan

alan Senior member

Anyone know of a good architecture/civil eng. forum where i could ask some simple technical questions?

A bunch of volunteers are doing a sports complex project for a community and would like some help.

15. StephenHero