The Architecture Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Jan 31, 2009.

1. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I think they've obviously got large scale interior installations in mind to make up for the collection's modest size.

lolwhut? i imagine it has something to do with his collection of Richard Serra sculptures.

happy to have a new museum, but i'm surprised Broad is going this route. i would have thought that the stagnant Getty and Norton Simon collections would have convinced him that private museums of this sort seem to invariably become stale. very curious what his personal restrictions on acquisitions and the details of his will and estate will be.

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I'm thinking quantity. It's hard to attract repeat visitors when you have a smaller collection in number of works unless you focus on rotating exhibitions and installations. There aren't enough works to keep rotating the permanent collection. I think he's only got about 1500 works. I think the design will work really well on that basis.

Wikipedia says 500 in a personal collection and 1500 in the museum trust.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

4. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I'm thinking quantity. It's hard to attract repeat visitors when you have a smaller collection in number of works unless you focus on exhibitions and installations. I think he's only got about 1500 works.
    I'd be surprised if that's the case. His acquisition staff is larger than MoCA's. edit: comment was for when you said 500. i still think 1500 is low, but that's a good size for establishing a permanent collection. I'm guessing that also does not include editions, prints, and some other mediums.

5. StephenHero

Ai WeiWei could put like....a gillion fake sunflower seeds in there.

edit: just checked, each space is about 41,000 sq feet.

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Ai WeiWei could put like....a gillion fake sunflower seeds in there.
    our air is bad enough, thanks. also, i'd be more excited if broad's collection wasn't for the most part boring as fuck. all the marquee stuff you've seen in every modernism text book ever, and the other stuff is just lesser known work by Koons and Hirst. blech. hey gome, there's a great book on what you just noticed. couldn't find a google image but here it is on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Anatomy-Nature-F...item255f97033d

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

that cover image is way cooler than rigid tripe.

8. StephenHero

Speaking of museums, I was looking at photos in a book of the Louisiana Museum in Copenhagen today. It's one of the really great modernist buildings that's overlooked by the public in the states. Very viewer friendly. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Handsome complex. Looks like it could be part of a private school in the Northeast.

10. StephenHero

I can nearly picture a young Conne and his waspy entourage walking through the grounds with the creepy Robin Williams figure, as they ponder the nature of beauty seen in emaciated sculptures.

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Handsome complex. Looks like it could be part of a private school in the Northeast.

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like my dorm.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like my dorm.

really? I don't know of any buildings on the campus that look like that. Unless you're talking about your HS.

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

really? I don't know of any buildings on the campus that look like that. Unless you're talking about your HS.

High school, yes. A fair amount of (to my eye) non-extraodrinary mid-century stuff, in addition to the old brick buildings.

[​IMG]

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

Speaking of museums, I was looking at photos in a book of the Louisiana Museum in Copenhagen today. It's one of the really great modernist buildings that's overlooked by the public in the states. Very viewer friendly.
    It is indeed viewer friendly ... and is set amid lush greenery ... all overlooking the Øresund separating Denmark from Sweeden. It's museum heaven for those who are equally fond of art & nature.

RSS, why don't you ever post in the architecture thread?
    What were you saying? [​IMG]