The Architecture Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Jan 31, 2009.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I've thought for awhile that MoMA should open a second location in Central Park that was exclusively for the permanent collection. That would allow the carnival to continue at the 53rd St. location for blockbuster exhibitions and allow a location that offered reduced fees which are caused from the exhibitions. Very few people going to MoMA are going to see both the exhibition and the permanent collection. The clumsy escalator circulation is more suitable for exhibitions because you could separate the exhibits by floor and not interrupt the experience by having to take a stupid escalator. Buzzkill. They also need the open views Central Park has to allow for more natural light and taller galleries.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

IMO they should open up something massive in LIC, not central park. It's 2 subway stops from the line that goes right in front of MoMA, it's cheaper land, Manhattan views, and they can have all the sunlight and space they wanted.

And having to take that escalator up to floor 6 to see new exhibitions is the worst.

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

I think MoMA is the #4 arts institution in NYC, financially --- Met opera and Met museum are the only ones that are clearly bigger-timer. Lincoln Center has a slightly bigger budget than MoMA, but it's in the same ballpark. The public libraries have amazingly huge budgets. NYPL is the #3 overall non-profit after the two Mets.

But, it's also ironic that a museum for which design is a big collection is not designed so well.

If you're fascinated by such things, here's a list of the budgets in an Excel spreadsheet: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/section...Try=1279647654

--Andre

4. StephenHero

The cash assets of museums are trivial compared to their collectible assets. MoMA could have a $5 billion yard sale tomorrow if they wanted to.

5. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Senior member

could somebody identify the building in the end of this video?
    (It's on Manhattan)

6. StephenHero

487 Broadway @ Broome St.

[​IMG]

7. mksims

mksims Active Member

Das Gelbe Haus, Flims, Switzerland

The Alpes! That's why it looked familiar [​IMG]

8. StephenHero

9. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

is that facade slate? looks nice, interiors seem off though

10. StephenHero

Slate it is. I don't like the confusion above the altar, but the rest is great. A couple more churches in Finland. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The thing that pisses me off is that none of these are expensive to build, but you'd never see anything of this quality in the U.S. You get this. "Hey guys, Welcome to Plano!" [​IMG]

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

is that facade slate? looks nice, interiors seem off though
    I agree about the interior. It looks gimicky to me. I can see a priest/pastor up there and it'll look like he has big bubbles erupting from his head thanks to those frills above the alter.

The thing that pisses me off is that none of these are expensive to build, but you'd never see anything of this quality in the U.S. You get this.

"Hey guys, Welcome to Plano!"

Church is supposed to be boring inside and out! [​IMG]

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

The thing that pisses me off is that none of these are expensive to build, but you'd never see anything of this quality in the U.S. You get this.
    Wouldn't the cost of the architect alone on those buildings make them substantially more expensive than your garden-variety US church building? I don't disagree that the architecture of most US church buildings is sorely lacking, but those Finnish church buildings aren't very practical or usable. They need more usable space aside from just a sanctuary and it looks like the maintenance on those buildings would be difficult and/or expensive.

13. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Senior member

Would I love to spend a weekend in here. [​IMG]

14. Yo-han

Yo-han Senior member

Would I love to spend a weekend in here.
    [​IMG]

looks haunted as hell

15. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Does anyone know have a link for the architectural vacation home website? Im looking for a home in france.
    google isnt my friend in this case.

thanks