• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
He paid for one at Michigan too. He's an amateur architect and has been involved in the design of all these dorms. I'm not saying that I buy his philosophy on dorm life, but there is some thought to what he's attempting. He said that he's responding to complaints about sharing bedrooms in dorms by creating individual living spaces. He figured that this was possible, if you sacrificed natural light. There are apparently virtual windows to simulate natural light.

Light vs. roommate could be an interesting choice for college kids.
Haha, agreed. A lot of kids might choose the single, but 4500 kids with deteriorating mental health sounds..... problematic.

Also, two doors for a building with that many people sounds like a death trap (or at least a lawsuit).

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haha, agreed. A lot of kids might choose the single, but 4500 kids with deteriorating mental health sounds..... problematic.

Also, two doors for a building with that many people sounds like a death trap (or at least a lawsuit).
There are an additional 10 emergency exits

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hm . i think my post was erased ?

probably a g o o d t i m e to dip .

peace folks .

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think I'd want to live in that dorm, but I am open to trying different ways of housing people. I can see the appeal of having a private place to sleep, and I imagine residents would leave their doors open most of the time so they'd still get some of the communal benefits of a traditional dorm room.

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
True. Having private sleeping space is nice. It would be interesting to see how the artificial light thing works. I feel like the lack of a window would be harder for me than the tight quarters.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard him on the radio and 'amateur architect' is being generous. He's creating live experiments in psychological manipulation based on a flimsy understanding of the science involved. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near building design.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard him on the radio and 'amateur architect' is being generous. He's creating live experiments in psychological manipulation based on a flimsy understanding of the science involved.

His theory of design essentially seems to be based on rationalism, with no emotion involved.

I may be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet Ayn Rand is one of his favourite authors.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
His theory of design essentially seems to be based on rationalism, with no emotion involved.

I may be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet Ayn Rand is one of his favourite authors.
I wouldn't bet against you.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The USA is the only country in the world where Ayn Rand is considered a philosopher, and L. Ron Hubbard, a prophet...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The USA is the only country in the world where Ayn Rand is considered a philosopher, and L. Ron Hubbard, a prophet...
Hucksters are glorified here.

Mr Stevens

Reaction score
I heard him on the radio and 'amateur architect' is being generous. He's creating live experiments in psychological manipulation based on a flimsy understanding of the science involved. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near building design.
I heard him on a healthcare panel once, and he has basically the same philosophy for that; exchange quality of care for high efficiency.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
build the cube! the cube is perfectly efficient!

1636231061485.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads