1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Architecture Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I think my prior statement of "HOA 4 life" would stand in opposition to the above statement. I just think SH's weight of "community sentimental value" might be overmuch in the above example. Duty or responsibility often works best when it's reciprocal vs. one way which I felt his statement implied.

Douglas made an excellent post above too.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

I'm not religiously pro-preservation or anything, but I think the attitude in your post is the same held by the people that have been turning places like Forest Hills and Beverly Hills into awful shit holes. Maybe that sort of thing is inevitable and I won't lose too much sleep over it either way, but I think the idea that people don't owe anything to the visible character of their neighborhood is an ugly one.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I can see both sides of it. If a home is significant enough it should be preserved if not that I think it should be on the owner/community. There are many older houses in my town that are sort of half-way there and some are in the best sections of town. Many have suffered through so many trendy, half-assed renovations that they would need a team of old world carpenters to restore them. The township has made changes to the roads and added new roads that caused a few of them to face the wrong direction.

Often they wind up getting torn down and replaced for these reasons. The ones that have survived in-tact were the ones that have always been grand estates or were designed by significant architects and those that have owners which have appreciated the style in which they were designed.

One that I can think of off hand was recently restored. A team of carpenters worked nearly non-stop on the house for 2 years, the owner spent millions, but the house is amazing. He updated the kitchen and bath, but everything else is period.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Most "preservation" is about people not wanting construction in their area or about wannabe dictators with horrid taste. Let those people stay in HOAs, in my opinion. It might be nice to want to preserve things, but taste by committee ends up with very salable houses with great "curb appeal" and second rate "architectural features."

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Again, I did not say, "People don't owe anything to the visible character of their neighborhood," and again, my support of HOAs stands in direct opposition to such a thought being applied to me. What a good HOA has is mutual responsibility with adequate flexibility to allow changes. I have posted on this forum at great length, and received much derision, precisely because I support people entering into mutual agreements of maintaining the visual character of a neighborhood.

I find many folks in terms of preservation want to continue their enjoyment of a property but do not feel their enjoyment warrants any sort of reciprocal responsibility. Nothing stopped the interested stake holders from forming a non-profit to buy and care for the house as they saw fit. As in the case of Douglas's house we know this does happen. I actually really enjoy historic preservation in many instances but I think we have to acknowledge it might have to be a shared responsibility to maintain some things.

6. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

That's fair. And again, not a huge preservationist here. I would love for an F-5 tornado to touch down in Alamo Square and lift that postcard right off the block.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

This. Mordecai, I agree with you -- somewhat -- about Beverly Hills. But you're giving people in general way too much credit for good taste, in my opinion. Look at Beverlywood, an HOA community where I used to live. It's a great illustration of the fact that, as matt suggests, taste by committee or consensus tends to come down to the lowest common denominator. It's full of schlock. In most communities (at least here in LA) where there is some sort of community design review process, horrible, cranked-out "McMansion" designs are the safest bet. Anything that strikes people as unusual or challenges their sensibilities -- as, say, Lautner, Neutra, or Schindler homes likely did in their day -- engenders opposition.

8. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

A-fucking-men

It would appear that the owners of 450 Frederick ultimately prevailed. I wonder how much that ultimately cost them...

[​IMG]

10. SkinnyGoomba

Whats that called, semi-victorian? Victorian from a large distance?

11. sugarbutch

I believe that is San Francisco Hodgepodge. It's our version of the generic, suburban tract house.

12. SkinnyGoomba

Also known as 'Victorian if you make your eyes really squinty?'

1 person likes this.
  13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

It's as "Victorian" as any other "Victorian" house in San Francisco.

14. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

So what you're saying is there's a lot of San Franciscans who would call that a Victorian.

1 person likes this.
  15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, I believe they call them Rictorians.

16. SkinnyGoomba

That;s not the direction I was going, but, what the hell...it works.

17. SkinnyGoomba

Yes, in an image taken from space, thats sort of blurry.

18. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I resent this comment.

19. SkinnyGoomba

Do you own such a home?

20. sugarbutch

I think he's making an Asian joke...