• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

hrb

Reaction score
^^^ thanks for that one SG. Also, thanks everyone who posts and adds to this thread. Though i have nothing of substance to contribute, I am a constant checker/reader here and appreciate everyones contris.

Reaction score

dezeen_Broad-Group-starts-work-on-worlds-tallest-tower_2a.jpg

http://www.dezeen.com/2012/11/22/wo...lt-in-90-days-says-chinese-construction-firm/
:eh:

Isn't the completion of "the tallest building in the world" a sure tell sign of a looming crisis?

Empire State Building = the great depression

Petronas Twin Towers = asians crisis

Burj al Arab = crash of Dubai property market

So will the extreme real estate bubble of China burst with this? And will it send us into a even deeper recession?

(I know this isn't a fool proof theory with taipei 101 beeing one of the exeptions that comes to mind)

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Burj al Arab = crash of Dubai property market
So will the extreme real estate bubble of China burst with this? And will it send us into a even deeper recession?
(I know this isn't a fool proof theory with taipei 101 beeing one of the exeptions that comes to mind)

China is going to implode at some point my money is on sooner than later, but I doubt it will drag the rest of the world down, as the companies will just run like the wind out of china back to the US and Europe and then we have a buch of "new jobs".

Qatar is planing a 1000m tower, it's going to be interesting to see if they are going to follow the "curse".

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the utter hideousness of that building...

hrb

Reaction score

I'm more concerned about the utter hideousness of that building...

It blends in with the skyline quite well. Nice to see the architect(s) consulting with the city on creating a flowing aesthetic.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure if serious... :paranoia:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It blends in with the skyline quite well. Nice to see the architect(s) consulting with the city on creating a flowing aesthetic.

Did you read the article?

They plan to build it in 90 days and it's all prefab. I think it looks like it should be in Gothham city or something.

Laurens

Reaction score
It would be quite fitting for a greedy villain, at what level are they installing the shark infested swimming pools?

Laurens

Reaction score
I haven' been following it very closely but Oscar Niemeyer's condition suddenly worsened over the last few weeks. The 104-year old must be one of the greatest and recognizable architects of the past century.

594d_oscar_niemeyer_antonio_scorza_afp.jpg

One of his most recognizable works, the cathedral in Brasilia:

MetropolitanCathedral.jpg

1294250402-brasilia7.jpg

A year or so ago his last big creation was unveiled:The Niemeyer Centre in Spain.

11078413-quot-niemeyer-center-quot-in-ra-avils-principado-de-asturias-spanje.jpg

Last edited:

hrb

Reaction score

Not sure if serious... :paranoia:

i kid. i kid.

Did you read the article?
They plan to build it in 90 days and it's all prefab. I think it looks like it should be in Gothham city or something.

I did, it will be interesting to watch the progress, though i can't say i would be in a rush to occupy an upper floor.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Tezuka Architects
House To Catch The Mountain
Kamakura, Japan

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The disappointing thing of these kind of houses is that they can't seem to incorporate living there with them looking good. If this one had some furniture in it it would look only half as 'thight'.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The disappointing thing of these kind of houses is that they can't seem to incorporate living there with them looking good. If this one had some furniture in it it would look only half as 'thight'.

Dunno, man. I can imagine it with furniture and I still like it. Dat cantilever...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All things Bauhaus, Modern, or blended craftsman/modern would look great in that house without subtracting from the feel. I would argue that it would be improved with the right taste in furniture. Unfortunately it seems, at least in my area, that great taste in real estate and great taste in furniture are rarely overlapping.

hrb

Reaction score
Have any of you reupholstered an LC2 Chair in the past? Experience on cost for a decent aniline leather? Feel free to PM so as not to take the thread off topic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads