• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We’ll see. The whole line of MacBook pros are due for a design refresh, so I assume they’ll roll out the 16 initially, call it the MacBook Pro Plus or something, and then the 13 inch models will follow later in 2020 or 2021

Damn, I hope I'm not stuck with this laptop for much longer. I was hoping I could replace it with a new one this fall.

Anyway, thanks for the news.

bruceclark

Reaction score
Damn, I hope I'm not stuck with this laptop for much longer. I was hoping I could replace it with a new one this fall.

Anyway, thanks for the news.

The 16 inch will have fixed switches (assuming rumors are accurate), the air and other models won’t get the fix until next year.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would buy a MBP with a fixed/ normal keyboard and without a touchbar, same specs etc.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I farted around with the touchbar at the Apple store today. Not sure what all the hate is about- I mostly only use Office suite and Ed Tech sites, so it looks like it makes some of that kind of stuff easier.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MBP, mini, iMac, or build a Hackintosh? I can't decide.

emptym

Reaction score
Good news about the return of a small phone, hopefully next March.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apple TV+ streaming service: Price, release date and shows

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has to deal with theft in their area. A few years ago, I got robbed outside of a cafe. Basically, the game is to catch someone not paying attention (e.g. looking at their laptop), snatch their laptop, and then run to a getaway car.

In the last couple of years, these incidents have really gone on the rise in my area. A few weeks ago, it happened inside one of the cafes I frequent. Someone just snatched two laptops off a table and ran out. Then it happened a few days ago at another cafe.

Apparently, there are underground networks at restaurants where thieves can offload these laptops for decent money. The police say to be vigilant (e.g. look for people loitering around but not buying anything, etc). But you know, if you're working on your laptop, you're also working on your laptop.

I looked up some preventative/ security measures. I know there are laptop locks, although I don't know which may be the best for a MacBook Air. I've also heard of programs like Prey, but don't know much about them. I've thought about buying an iPad for working at cafes and today's release looks interesting.

Does anyone have strategies or preventative measures they take for this?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used a cable lock back in college libraries. Easy on/off to prevent simple snatching. Not secure against mid-size cable cutters and, as I recently discovered, fairly easy to pick...but should stop the kind of theft you are talking about.

Unfortunately, the Air lacks a "kensignton slot"...so you have to buy an adapter that costs 2x what the lock itself costs and install that on your computer first.

emptym

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has to deal with theft in their area. A few years ago, I got robbed outside of a cafe. Basically, the game is to catch someone not paying attention (e.g. looking at their laptop), snatch their laptop, and then run to a getaway car.

In the last couple of years, these incidents have really gone on the rise in my area. A few weeks ago, it happened inside one of the cafes I frequent. Someone just snatched two laptops off a table and ran out. Then it happened a few days ago at another cafe.

Apparently, there are underground networks at restaurants where thieves can offload these laptops for decent money. The police say to be vigilant (e.g. look for people loitering around but not buying anything, etc). But you know, if you're working on your laptop, you're also working on your laptop.

I looked up some preventative/ security measures. I know there are laptop locks, although I don't know which may be the best for a MacBook Air. I've also heard of programs like Prey, but don't know much about them. I've thought about buying an iPad for working at cafes and today's release looks interesting.

Does anyone have strategies or preventative measures they take for this?
This happened a few months ago to a friend of mine. He was working at a cafe in the Stonestown Mall. A guy snatched his laptop and ran to the nearest entrance, where a driver in a black car was waiting. It had its license plate and all logos (car brand and model) removed. Fortunately, most of his work was backed up online and his employer covered the cost of a replacement.
It’s the same size as an iPhone 8 so not exactly a new SE unfortunately
Thanks, yeah, I read that after posting. That is sad.

The 11 pro seems smaller than the X. But I don't think I need a $1000 phone. I just use it as a phone, for texting, photos, Lyft, airplane tickets, and maybe directions or the internet once a month.

I'm actually considering getting a non-Apple phone. I was pretty happy with my Nokia and Motorola phones before the iPhone. If anyone could recommend a good, small phone with the capabilities I mentioned, I'd appreciate it. I'd also still like photos and text message to sync with my MacBook.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
My wife is pretty happy with her Galaxy A10e (yes that actually is the model designation)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This happened a few months ago to a friend of mine. He was working at a cafe in the Stonestown Mall. A guy snatched his laptop and ran to the nearest entrance, where a driver in a black car was waiting. It had its license plate and all logos (car brand and model) removed. Fortunately, most of his work was backed up online and his employer covered the cost of a replacement.

I bumped into some police officers yesterday and asked them about it. They said this is an issue that's on the rise across California (don't know if your friend is in CA).

They said the best thing to do is to not sit outside of cafes working on your laptop. Also don't sit next doorways. Take basic precautions, like being vigilant and lock your laptop when you can, but working in the center of a cafe, rather than outside or near exits, will supposedly reduce your risk greatly.

Anyway, if someone steals this, I hope they're forced to type on my brownie-crumb damaged butterfly keyboard. I had to correct my text four times just writing this post.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
My aunt's backpack was stolen in exactly this fashion from a cafe on Polk about 3 weeks ago.

Seems like this would be a great opportunity for a sting operation, and I'll bet a couple of arrests would have a big impact - there are probably only a few groups pulling these jobs. It doesn't take an army to create a crime wave, just a few dedicated individuals.

scamster

Reaction score
@emptym try the pocophone f1 if you're leaving apple and want something else, this is supposed to be an excellent mobile especially considering the price, the pixel 3a is also a good alternative.

to sync message from an android device on your laptop use android messages for web for photos if you're using icloud you may need to dump that if you swap to android, not sure if google photos works on a mac but dropbox is good for syncing your photos on your mobile and computer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads