• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Exploding batteries in 2017 15" MacBook Pros.
Luckily I had my 2015 MBP15 changed last year due to the bulging problem. I had Applecare and they also changed my display because it had a chip (as well as the keyboard and case, necessary with the battery change). Great machine but it's a battleship of a machine, I've been wanting to get a sleeker machine but issues like throttling and the keyboard in particular means that I'm still waiting.

bruceclark

Reaction score
Luckily I had my 2015 MBP15 changed last year due to the bulging problem. I had Applecare and they also changed my display because it had a chip (as well as the keyboard and case, necessary with the battery change). Great machine but it's a battleship of a machine, I've been wanting to get a sleeker machine but issues like throttling and the keyboard in particular means that I'm still waiting.

If it helps the throttling was fixed pretty quickly in an update shortly after that model came out. But the keyboard issues are definitely real and frustrating (although the latest generation is said to have better materials that somewhat avoid the issue).

I’d say wait it out if you can, if not, the new machines are still great and there are millions of people happily using them.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The keyboard is the bane of my existence.

Kiya of Self Edge and Jeremey of Standard & Strange reported the same problems to me last year when we talked about Apple laptops. I think Kiya brought his laptop in for repair like three times in the span of a season, maybe even before giving up (who knows if it still works). Jeremy just gave up entirely and bought some other machine.

Mine broke after a month. I lived with it for a while and then had it fixed. Broke almost immediately afterwards, maybe a few days later. I would take it in to have it fixed again, but I don't know if it's even worth the trouble.

I supplement with an external keyboard when I can, but typing on the actual machine is the worst. My friend David has the same problem.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, when they fixed the throttling, I was almost tempted but again was stopped by the keyboard. And yes, I'm waiting for the so called 16" machine. I still have my battleship 2015MBP15. I recently changed my 10.5 gen2 ipad pro to the 12.9 gen 3 ipad pro after trying the ipadOS beta. I'm just waiting on my keyboard case to give it a whirl as a 'laptop alternative'

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, when they fixed the throttling, I was almost tempted but again was stopped by the keyboard. And yes, I'm waiting for the so called 16" machine. I still have my battleship 2015MBP15. I recently changed my 10.5 gen2 ipad pro to the 12.9 gen 3 ipad pro after trying the ipadOS beta. I'm just waiting on my keyboard case to give it a whirl as a 'laptop alternative'

This is the Carlo Riva of laptops, the Simonnot Godard chambray, the Cleverley side seam, the missing Ambrosi, the green breast wallet, the Rubinacci DB with a screwed up buttoning point.

bruceclark

Reaction score

I think with Ive out we’ll see a rebalancing of function and form. Hopefully things like hard to use arrow keys, a total reliance on USB-C, and overly thin keyboards will be less prominent. I want Apple pushing the design edge but I’d love a little less frustration. I think they’ve nailed it with the iPhone, iPad, and watch lines.

As for a laptop alternative the iPad is excellent but it’s hard to give up MacOS if you’re any semblance of a power user. I use my iPad Pro as a vacation machine but coming back to my Mac is always a breath of fresh air. Then again I work in web application design and development so sooner or later I have to get back to a Mac. But some people have successfully made the switch (and frankly, I think that’s why the MS Surface line up has done so well).

Personally @dieworkwear I’d see if you can get the machine replaced. I hate not being able to use my computer at full capacity.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
pre-iPadOS ipad pro was next to useless to me as a desktop replacement. I tried to make use of the tablet that I bought specifically to use Procreate to make some line drawings for a project. It was great for that, but trying to make use of the device for simple stuff (to me) such as browsing/ annotating pdfs, editing office docs was just nasty with the crappy file system. I was sold (sort of) on the beta OS when I plugged in my Samsung T5 SSD and could read everything off the bat.

bruceclark

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like a good direction. I’m not convinced the window management alternatives are there yet for me to really use it as a power user. I’m excited to try it out though, unlike you @chobochobo I’m not willing to use the beta in its current state ;).

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had no hesitation as it was just lying there, not my primary device. I'm no power user, I just needed to do the simple office doc stuff. I couldn't do that before. I also installed the Catalina beta on my 2015MBP15 but can't really say it's any different. I tried the Sidecar function (needed a little hack) and it's truly terrible - laggy, blurry rubbish. Duet display even in it's buggy state is way better.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently the 2019 keyboards have solved several of the issues people have been having.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean on the new laptops that are supposedly coming out this fall?

Well, technically both. The May and August releases have so far been ok- but the 16s set for release are going back to the older style.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, technically both. The May and August releases have so far been ok- but the 16s set for release are going back to the older style.

Wait, am I reading this news correctly?

1. The new Macbook Pro 16 inch model will have a "scissor-like keyboard," which means it won't be the old keyboard, but possibly some new design that might have new problems?

2. The new Macbook Air will continue with the butterfly keyboard?

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, am I reading this news correctly?

1. The new Macbook Pro 16 inch model will have a "scissor-like keyboard," which means it won't be the old keyboard, but possibly some new design that might have new problems?

2. The new Macbook Air will continue with the butterfly keyboard?

We’ll see. The whole line of MacBook pros are due for a design refresh, so I assume they’ll roll out the 16 initially, call it the MacBook Pro Plus or something, and then the 13 inch models will follow later in 2020 or 2021

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads