• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn. My wife and I planned to get new phones this year, but we wanted small ones like the 5s we have now. Wish they'd announced a small phone. To wait or to just get an 8 or XS?

I was in a similar situation, looking for an upgrade to a 2.5 year old SE. I wanted the smaller size, but I’m not going to wait indefinitely for it. I just got an 8 to replace it. The larger screen takes some getting used to, as I don’t have big hands, but it’s working out fine.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comment a friend posted on facebook

When I see those Apple earbuds...THIS is what I REALLY see!

FB_IMG_1539311666818.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not really Apple, but this is where people talk about phones...

I ordered a Pixel 3. I'll be joining all of the iphone users in no-headphone-jack #courage land.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Waiting for the XR. Not sure why anyone would spend more for the XS over it. The cost difference to benefit ratio just isn’t worth it.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting for the XR. Not sure why anyone would spend more for the XS over it. The cost difference to benefit ratio just isn’t worth it.

There’s always a segment of demand that wants top-of-the-line. It’s not about rational cost:utility maximisation. These are Veblen goods.

cloberts19

Reaction score
I don't even have an anti-virus on my MacBook Pro and I've been using it for 3 years already.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who can advise whether I need to change the antivirus on the Macbook Air?
I use Avast. I watched the rating here and Avast does not occupy a leading position. In many ratings Kaspersky is a leader.

The website you've linked says that the rankings are sponsored by some of the antivirus providers named. I wouldn't trust any ranking websites like that.

Apparently this Macworld article is a reputable source: https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/mac-antivirus-3672182/

Having said that, I don't used antivirus on my macs and I've been good for 12 years. Probably reckless but still.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought an iPad Pro as a hopeful work laptop replacement. So far, so good, although predictably, editing documents and spreadsheets sucks.

Anyone else trying this?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's why I like my surface pro.

You edit documents and spreadsheets in PC Word and Excel like a normal human.

It is kind of mediocre as a true tablet, but it works well with the pen and can run normal programs.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surface Pro trumps the Ipad Pro in every way except battery life

emptym

Reaction score
My work supplies me with a MacBook of some type. For a few years, I had an Air, which was great: never broke, never got a virus, and I only charged it at night since the battery lasted all day. They replaced it last year around this time with a regular Macbook. It was super small and light, but the battery would only last about 5 hrs, despite being advertised as 9-10. Just a couple weeks after I got it, it started to slide off of my lap. I reached quickly to grab it but where my hand hit the screen, the screen shattered. Our IT people said it was because the screen went all the way to the edge. No way to repair the screen, so they issued me a new MacBook. That one lasted about 10 months before the battery began to die unexpectedly and a "service battery" icon appeared. Our IT guys said it probably died so early because the machine doesn't have a fan. Apparently, the batteries aren't replaceable either..., so they decided to cobble together the good screen and motherboard from one computer with the battery and bottom parts from the other. They said then shorted out when they plugged it in for charging.

So now I have an older Air on loan while a new, 2018 Air is on order. It's interesting how the old Air is noticeably larger and heavier than the MacBook (2 pounds vs 3), but it also feels noticeably more balanced and better made. Hope the new air is more like the old Air than the newer MacBook.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just came here to see if anyone was talking about the new Macbook Air.

I'm working off an old MBP and thinking about replacing it with the Air, but all this talk about the butterfly keyboard makes me nervous. Kiya over at Self Edge said that, within a span of just ten months, he's had to to take his (I assume second gen) butterfly keyboard back to Apple three times. That seems like a lot of hassle, esp since I depend on my laptop for my work.

The new third-gen butterfly keyboard has that film, which supposedly keeps dust out, but there are still some early reports of reliability issues.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ard-issues-with-the-macbook-air-2018.2155508/

Anyone have thoughts on this? I can probably stretch out my current system for another year, but it's starting to slow down. I imagine that, if there's another update, it will probably be on the MBP. I just don't know if that update will mean a new keyboard (maybe even non butterfly). Supposedly Apple can't admit there are issues for legal reasons, and they've come up with this film-solution because it's cheaper than developing an entirely new keyboard system (again, from my brief reading of this situation -- I'm not a tech person). From playing around on the butterfly keyboard in-store, I don't really care for the tactile experience, but I'm mostly concerned about reliability

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads