• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lightning is digital, so any type of 3.5mm converter like the dongle posted above on this page has to include a cheap DAC that is doing the conversion. Something like a Lightning to female USB, then a AQ Dragonfly Red, would seem to provide pretty great sound in a small package, but that's two more dongles to remember to bring around. I'm just curious what everyone else is using to get decent sound out of an iPhone without a headphone jack. Thanks!

I hate the dongle **** too...but isn't the lightning adapter supposed to be on par with the old iphone's 3.5mm jack's DAC? If you were happy with the 3.5, you'll probably be happy with the dongle.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but isn't the lightning adapter supposed to be on par with the old iphone's 3.5mm jack's DAC?

If that's true, then sure, I'd be ok with just using that. The ATH-DSR9BT's were my first foray into bluetooth headphones but they weren't cheap. I got 'em on sale but retail is over $500, and I was shocked at how they couldn't even compare to some $150 wired cans. If using a single inexpensive adapter can replicate the sound of the 6s then I'm fine with just going that route. Does anyone know what DAC is actually used in those adapters?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but isn't the lightning adapter supposed to be on par with the old iphone's 3.5mm jack's DAC? If you were happy with the 3.5, you'll probably be happy with the dongle.
It seems like there are several other companies now manufacturing a lightning to 3.5mm DAC. Has anyone tried any of these? If so, how do they compare to the $9 Apple adapter?

Blucoil Aqua
db Magix AC3 Flute
db Magix AC1 Drip
FiiO I1

phosej

Reaction score
Been using the iPhone X for a few days now and even though I really wanted to like this phone, I'm not happy with the experience out of the box. It's surprisingly thick and heavy, Face ID is buggy and doesn't work close up or at angles, the screen is wasted because apps (even apple's own apps) are unoptimized for it, and animojis got old after 15 minutes. Nitpicks: the finishing on the stainless steel band is tactilely unpleasant, I keep hitting the dictation button when I'm typing (and you can't remove it), no battery percentage without swiping down, hard to use one handed even with reachability and the back of the phone gets pretty hot even from just watching youtube. Although I will say the A11 bionic chip is very fast, true-tone screen is beautiful, camera is great as always, new swipe gestures are easy to learn, and the notch doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

So I bought an 8 as well (not fan of the plus form factor) and will be using them side by side to see which one I prefer. Taking advantage of Apple's extended holiday return policy, so by January I will decide on either the X or 8 as I am coming from the 6. Chris Porillo's sentiments are warranted: the 8 is the most polished and refined (read: boring) version of one style and build and UX, whereas the X is the clunky first-gen (reminds me of the original brick-like iPods actually) mash-up of hardware and software that still needs the thinner/lighter/optimization treatment.

kasper007

Reaction score
I just use the lightning to 3.5mm converter that came with my phone (and Etymotic wired earphones). Given it cost $10, the DAC isn't the greatest, but I pretty much exclusively listen to compressed music in loud environment on my phone and given serious options start at like $200 and go up from there, I doubt a better DAC would provide a tangible benefit to me. Your setup / habit might be different, but I would think unless you listen to lossless music in a quiet environment with really, really nice headphones, the apple adapter will do. This guy believes that the apple adapter is all you need unless you own headphones that needs to be powered.

On wireless though, I think the best sounding bluetooth headphone today sounds about as good as $30-$50 wired headphones (and I think I am being generous) so we are quite a ways before wireless sound quality is any good.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate the dongle **** too...but isn't the lightning adapter supposed to be on par with the old iphone's 3.5mm jack's DAC? If you were happy with the 3.5, you'll probably be happy with the dongle.

This is correct. I was surprised they pulled that off with a $9 dongle but they did. The lightning adaptors DAC is supposed to be on par with the DAC in the old iPhones.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every time I think my next phone will be an Android, something happens with my wife’s phone. This morning her 6-month-old Pixel bricked itself while plugged in not being used.

My iPhone 6s is still going strong.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone get a Homepod? By all accounts it sounds really nice for the price, but I cannot see myself spending that much cash on a speaker that's limited to Apple Music and AirPlay. If they had bothered to include even a single line in, I would be far more interested. Product feel limited in ways that only Apple seems to be able to get away with. Maybe down the line, but right now I can't see it being for me.

I've been getting a nice laugh out of the regular Apple bloggers gushing over it's sound quality after having given the AirPods a pass. I know they are two seperate devices for different uses, but you don't really set yourself up as being an authority on SQ if you think the AirPods sound great.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Anyone get a Homepod? By all accounts it sounds really nice for the price, but I cannot see myself spending that much cash on a speaker that's limited to Apple Music and AirPlay. If they had bothered to include even a single line in, I would be far more interested. Product feel limited in ways that only Apple seems to be able to get away with. Maybe down the line, but right now I can't see it being for me.

I've been getting a nice laugh out of the regular Apple bloggers gushing over it's sound quality after having given the AirPods a pass. I know they are two seperate devices for different uses, but you don't really set yourself up as being an authority on SQ if you think the AirPods sound great.

It's bad enough my phone listens and probably collects enormous amounts of data from me for free, I have no desire to contribute any more to Amazon or Google. That said, it sucks the homepod is basically useless without your phone. Add to that the apparent white stains (to which apple replied they recommend placing on a different surface)

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...hite-ring-wooden-table-staining-issue-problem

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just upgraded to an iPhone 8. Now I need a new, sexy case...

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
AT&T is offering a two for one deal on iPhoneX. Requires contract but seems like a good deal for a family wanting to upgrade.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ios 12 beta isnt too bad so far. I’ve had it for about a week and while it has some bugs, nothing has really annoyed me yet. Couple that with a much more responsive os and I call it a win. However, without a bunch of new flashy features Im sure a bunch of people will complain about it.

emptym

Reaction score
Damn. My wife and I planned to get new phones this year, but we wanted small ones like the 5s we have now. Wish they'd announced a small phone. To wait or to just get an 8 or XS?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads