• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a surface pro x which fits the bill as travel computer AND media player AND handheld device for reading full-page PDF documents like court filings.

But my wife hates to bring her macbook air when she travels unless she truly needs a computer (doesn't help that she had it stolen twice at work events at her old job...).
8" or 10" Tablet gives you a nice screen to consume media on while in transit and unlike a laptop you don't have to put it away for takeoff/landing. The ipad is also functional enough that it can be useful for many as an alternative to a full computer while still granting more comfortable screen real estate than a phone. Better experience while reading the news for breakfast, etc. Especially because both my wife and I still prefer tiny phones (13 minis).

There are also a lot of neat ipad apps out there for things like photo work, making music, etc. Not enough to justify the price just to goof around, but android has nothing really comparable.

I'm a fan of the watch though. Unlike the iPad, watch pricing is pretty reasonable IMHO. Between the various models and huge supply of refurbs that promise still-decent battery, you can get serviceable watches for very little depending on which features you desire. Ignoring the "Ultra" you can get the current brand new model discounted to $329 today from multiple retailers and you can step down to the SE or previous generations for even less (including sub-$100 options).

I get a fair amount of use out of some mixture of the notifications, the GPS activity tracking, certain apps (particularly the 2-factor authenticator we use at work), the HR monitor, etc.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I travel, if I were to carry and pull out my Mac, I would start putzing around and not really enjoying my holiday.

Even at the airport, I can listen to some music on my iPad mini and people watch.

I don't want to get caught up/tempted to be on SF, etc for hours.

I detox when on vacation. I always leave my cell at the hotel in airplane mode if I am out of the country.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a surface pro x which fits the bill as travel computer AND media player AND handheld device for reading full-page PDF documents like court filings.

But my wife hates to bring her macbook air when she travels unless she truly needs a computer (doesn't help that she had it stolen twice at work events at her old job...).
8" or 10" Tablet gives you a nice screen to consume media on while in transit and unlike a laptop you don't have to put it away for takeoff/landing. The ipad is also functional enough that it can be useful for many as an alternative to a full computer while still granting more comfortable screen real estate than a phone. Better experience while reading the news for breakfast, etc. Especially because both my wife and I still prefer tiny phones (13 minis).

There are also a lot of neat ipad apps out there for things like photo work, making music, etc. Not enough to justify the price just to goof around, but android has nothing really comparable.

I'm a fan of the watch though. Unlike the iPad, watch pricing is pretty reasonable IMHO. Between the various models and huge supply of refurbs that promise still-decent battery, you can get serviceable watches for very little depending on which features you desire. Ignoring the "Ultra" you can get the current brand new model discounted to $329 today from multiple retailers and you can step down to the SE or previous generations for even less (including sub-$100 options).

I get a fair amount of use out of some mixture of the notifications, the GPS activity tracking, certain apps (particularly the 2-factor authenticator we use at work), the HR monitor, etc.
If I get the watch, it'll be the Ultra. Being able to be beat up for beach workouts and stuff is what is attractive to me. I just need to see how fat it is on wrist.
You make some good points on the iPad.
For travel, I'm firmly a no-checked bags guy.
I use my Go Ruck GR3 for every trip. It's the maximum carry on size and I did 3 weeks in Italy with it. It has a heavily protected laptop sleeve, and the 13" Air takes up such little room.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will check a bag depending on the length of my trip(ex Thailand.) Otherwise, it's carryon.

Back when the watch first came out, I had opened a new checking account and if you deposited X, they gave you a $500 bonus. I did that and said, I will pick up a watch....on Citi.

I never did. I thought about it and doubt it would have gotten much wear.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
it'll be the Ultra
I upgraded from the series 3 to the ultra and it’s honestly not noticeable larger but the improvements are incredible. The battery life alone was worth it

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they are. Only reason to get a Pro is you need the extra ports or want to drive 1+ other displays.

sfo423

Reaction score
My iPad 2 was 'challenged' so I upgraded to the iPad air. I currently have an iPhone, Apple watch and aforementioned iPad. All three devices require their own UNIQUE charger. WTF? Can't someone in that mega corp figure out the way to a universal Apple product charger? So lame.

End rant.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My iPad 2 was 'challenged' so I upgraded to the iPad air. I currently have an iPhone, Apple watch and aforementioned iPad. All three devices require their own UNIQUE charger. WTF? Can't someone in that mega corp figure out the way to a universal Apple product charger? So lame.

End rant.
Since the EU ruling it is expected they will converge to USB-C.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Insane

1685990310689.png

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMG_5869.jpeg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm confused--when you are on a video conference like this, how do they see you?
1685994724104.png

Or do they just AI your entire face and mime your reactions?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I'm confused--when you are on a video conference like this, how do they see you?
View attachment 1969647

Or do they just AI your entire face and mime your reactions?
Looks like for certain types of calls at least you get the realistic avatar they showed , which you generate by scanning your face

1685996579172.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads