• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couldn't the EU have forced apple to go usb-C like a week earlier?

honestly, sounds like a terrible idea. we're gonna have outdated ass usb-c ports on a bunch of systems in like 10 years...

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, imagine if they’d decided this was the way with usb-a a few years ago? It’s very stupid.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
honestly, sounds like a terrible idea. we're gonna have outdated ass usb-c ports on a bunch of systems in like 10 years...
I don't know if they have any provisions for future port designs, but I mostly agree that this sounds like a bad idea with issues down the road.

But as of today, apple is the only asshole company not using usb-C.

And they already use it on all but the cheapest ipad and all of their laptops...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
USB-C as a standard is adaptable. Charging speeds and data rates can be improved over time. It's not a strict standard. That's why some USB-C ports can handle Thunderbolt whiles others can not.

They also have provisions to upgrade the standard in the future if needed. So if a smaller, better standard comes along the EU can transition to it.

What a lot of people don't realize is USB-C is larger then Lightening. Apple is not going to be happy having to design around a larger port if it comes to that.

Still I think this is a lot of drama over what will end up being nothing. Apple's headed to a portless future. If anything this will speed that process along.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still I think this is a lot of drama over what will end up being nothing. Apple's headed to a portless future. If anything this will speed that process along.
Definitely agree. As far as physical features go, the design priorities for future iPhones are get rid of the camera bumps, get rid of the notch and get rid of the connector.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Definitely agree. As far as physical features go, the design priorities for future iPhones are get rid of the camera bumps, get rid of the notch and get rid of the connector.

the camera bump has gotten bigger due to the larger sensor requiring a large refactoring of internal layout, and the notch hasn't shrunk in the right dimension (it got slightly less wide but the vertical real estate is the same as before)

some phones have now hidden hole-punch cameras but they produce horrible quality photos. not that I care since for me the front-facing camera is only for video calls

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
USB-C as a standard is adaptable. Charging speeds and data rates can be improved over time. It's not a strict standard. That's why some USB-C ports can handle Thunderbolt whiles others can not.

They also have provisions to upgrade the standard in the future if needed. So if a smaller, better standard comes along the EU can transition to it.

What a lot of people don't realize is USB-C is larger then Lightening. Apple is not going to be happy having to design around a larger port if it comes to that.

Could be, but iPad is already on USB-C. doesn't seem like a big difference to use it within iPhone package space, all the high end Androids already use it.

They might even get some PR out of it, reframe it as re: environmental benefits.

CWV

Reaction score
Is the iPhone 13 being sold unlocked at bestbuy?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is that true (or meaningful) for the port side of the equation?

The lightning plug is thinner, but it has the contacts on the outside--so the jack has to incorporate spring pins on the outside.

USB-c has the spring pins on the cable. The jack only needs to be thick enough to fit the plug, since the electronics themselves are on the inside. I found at least one design schematic where the max receptacle thickness is only 0.6mm thicker than the connector--since all you need on the outside is a little metal shielding.

I couldn't find the same diagrams for lightning parts (because apple literally won't license lightning receptacles to people...), but based on some photos of repairs for iphone charging ports, the whole lightning assembly is at least 3x the size of the lightning plug--even more so since apple appears to always surface mount it on a PCB (probably because they have the proprietary chip integrated that stops people from making knockoff lightning jacks)

That would make it thicker than a USB-c jack, especially one that mounts in a cutout/on the edge of a PCB rather than stacking on top.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone pick up the 13 pro max?

I have a XR and am happy with it but it's probably time for an upgrade. My wife picked up the 13 pro and it feels too small and light in my hand.

How much larger is the max?

lefty

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max is big enough that it's difficult to use with one hand. That basically ruled it out for me.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My AirPods started acting up the week before they announced the new AirPods. Coincidence? I THINK NOT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads