• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought this was the year I upgrade, but after seeing the 13 I'm not sure it's worth it.

I haven't followed closely, but it almost seems like 13 is right where I'd want to upgrade. Take a proven model (rather than a "lets make sweeping changes" year), stretch out the battery life, bump the camera...that's exactly where I'd want to buy.

I'm still on the fence about jumping to Apple. Need to see how the Pixel 6 really turns out and need to get the Mini and the regular sized pro model in my hand.

I ordered a 13. I dont know why they hype the pro... or even make it part of their presentation. Unless I'm some instagrammer or movie producer I'm not buying that. (which is probably like .005% of their audience).

I like the sound of a zoom lens actually. I think wide is what I would want first and foremost--on my Pixel 3 which has a normal and a wide front facing camera, I actually find myself turning the phone backwards and trying to take pictures videos without seeing the screen fairly often. Landscape shots, shooting video and trying to get everything in the frame, etc.--but a true telephoto would be nice in some circumstances and could really be the end of 95% of my desire to carry a real camera.

The pro somehow also supposedly has better battery life despite being the same size and having more features.

I'd love to have a mini-sized phone, but I get a work subsidy on my phone bill so if I were to go with the regular size, it is only a marginal cost difference.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an 11, so I was 50/50 on the 13 being the time to upgrade.
Most obvious would be the jump to 5G.
But they didn't do the under the screen Touch ID yet, and there's other stuff that's supposedly coming with the 14, so I'll wait...

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really bummed about the lack of Touch ID but we are making the move to the 13. We've been holding off on the notch phones for so long in hopes they would figure out under screen touch ID and can't wait any longer. The camera on the 13 pro seems phenomenal. Someone with a 13 pro took a picture of Unf Jr. at a party this weekend and it caused my wife to instantly decide she needed the pro and not just the regular 13. I was planning on getting the pro or pro max and having her get the regular 13 but perhaps we will just flip it. Now that we both work from home, it seems like phones are less important than in the past but whatever.

The most annoying thing is that we probably need to upgrade from our relatively affordable legacy shared data plan to one of the AT&T unlimited plans. Had been planning to go to Verizon which is offering the best phone deals but their pricing is so high that it doesn't make it worth it. Maybe we just pay full freight and keep our old plans, idk at this point.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really bummed about the lack of Touch ID but we are making the move to the 13. We've been holding off on the notch phones for so long in hopes they would figure out under screen touch ID and can't wait any longer. The camera on the 13 pro seems phenomenal. Someone with a 13 pro took a picture of Unf Jr. at a party this weekend and it caused my wife to instantly decide she needed the pro and not just the regular 13. I was planning on getting the pro or pro max and having her get the regular 13 but perhaps we will just flip it. Now that we both work from home, it seems like phones are less important than in the past but whatever.

The most annoying thing is that we probably need to upgrade from our relatively affordable legacy shared data plan to one of the AT&T unlimited plans. Had been planning to go to Verizon which is offering the best phone deals but their pricing is so high that it doesn't make it worth it. Maybe we just pay full freight and keep our old plans, idk at this point.
I had Verizon since before they were Verizon.
I recently made the switch to Spectrum Mobile. They use all of Verizon's towers, and connection/service hasn't missed a beat.
I have two unlimited lines for a flat $90 a month.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone with a 13 pro took a picture of Unf Jr. at a party this weekend and it caused my wife to instantly decide she needed the pro and not just the regular 13. I was planning on getting the pro or pro max and having her get the regular 13 but perhaps we will just flip it.

Serious question: how different can the photos really be? Primary difference in my eye would only be the inclusion of a telephoto lens. Maybe slightly better low-light performance (when conditions are just right where the really good 13 camera can't handle it, but there's still enough light that the 13 pro can capture it with help from the LIDAR and whatever).

ProRAW is a nice feature, but 99% of people won't be using it (and you can easily process a photo from RAW that looks worse than Apple's pretty-solid JPG colors).

For a typical snapshot and normal focal length, I can't see the 13 pro being leaps and bounds different from the non-pro, but I've not shot with either.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one small indulgence I do allow myself is to trade up to the new Pro Max model every year. With the credit for the older phone, I figure the cost works out to about $1.50 per day — which doesn’t seem too crazy for the device I use more than any other?

OK, OK. Among the few small indulgences …

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had Verizon since before they were Verizon.
I recently made the switch to Spectrum Mobile. They use all of Verizon's towers, and connection/service hasn't missed a beat.
I have two unlimited lines for a flat $90 a month.

Great tip. I'm on xfinity at home and their mobile plan is similar to spectrum. Can get 3 gb for $30 a month which might actually be enough for 2 WFH full timers, if not we can get 6 gb for $60 or unlimited for $80. Also, they're offering $300 off the new iPhones even with one of the cheaper shared data plans. They don't even charge per line prices like most of the other players.

Serious question: how different can the photos really be? Primary difference in my eye would only be the inclusion of a telephoto lens. Maybe slightly better low-light performance (when conditions are just right where the really good 13 camera can't handle it, but there's still enough light that the 13 pro can capture it with help from the LIDAR and whatever).

ProRAW is a nice feature, but 99% of people won't be using it (and you can easily process a photo from RAW that looks worse than Apple's pretty-solid JPG colors).

For a typical snapshot and normal focal length, I can't see the 13 pro being leaps and bounds different from the non-pro, but I've not shot with either.
I didn't do a comprehensive test so my info is based on one amazing portrait mode photo (of my kid moving) and discussions with a (different) apple employee. I think for normal photos the delta won't be meaningful.

The pro does have faster lenses and a meaningfully larger sensor (especially compared to older iphones) so it will produce better stills at the margins. But the pro also has an extra graphics core and 50% more ram. One of the employees told me that the increase in processing power has made a big difference in camera speed (especially for certain features). He normally doesn't trade up every year but is moving from the 12 pro to the 13 pro.

Coming from a newer flagship android phone it may not make much, if any, difference, but trading up from our older iPhones will be quite noticeable. Still wish it had touchID somewhere though.

Reactions: otc

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apple Music’s quality is streets ahead of Spotify. I regret waiting until Spotify gave a ton of money to a giant douche to switch.

CWV

Reaction score
^I should have mentioned that I pretty much never let it go below 50% too. I used to think you needed to drain them completely before recharging but later found out that that kills the battery.

Thinking of getting an Apple watch 7. I like the new features, and my work now requires that you use your phone or a smartwatch to open pretty much every door (all external doors are locked due to reduced numbers of people on campus due to covid). Plus I have some Costco gift cards from when we switched carriers there last year.

I'm wondering what color to get to be the most unobtrusive. I'm guessing black or the new midnight with a black silicone band. But I've heard the solid silicone isn't very breathable. Anyone have any favorite bands or bracelets?
Hi again. Are you quite sure your model is the 12 mini? I only ask because completely all other opinions say they can’t get throu a day with it v

emptym

Reaction score
Yep. A quick google search shows it lasts more than a day for those w/ heavier use than mine:

Overall, if we are to overlook the overheating issues with some games, the iPhone 12 Mini actually did quite well. It's definitely not a top-level battery performer, not even close, but it holds its ground quite well in daily use and if you don't push it too hard, you should be able to get through even those longer days without sweating it out over your phone dying before you come back from work.

But the 13 is supposed to be better. I'd get the 13 mini if I was in the market.

CWV

Reaction score
Yep. A quick google search shows it lasts more than a day for those w/ heavier use than mine:

But the 13 is supposed to be better. I'd get the 13 mini if I was in the market.

Me too. The problem is that my friend who is in the USA now on vacations comes back the 8 of October and I don’t know if the phone will be available on stores.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
13 Pro Max is very snappy. And reassuringly heavy, along with reassuringly expensive of course.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couldn't the EU have forced apple to go usb-C like a week earlier?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Couldn't the EU have forced apple to go usb-C like a week earlier?

It's not going into effect for a few years. As much as I hate the idea, Apple will be selling portless iPhones by then.

My understanding is devices without ports won't have to add a port to comply with the rules.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably looking to pick up a 13mini tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads