• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Held some phones in my hand at target the other night. The 12 Pro Plus Megahuge whatever was much too big, but I already knew that.

They didn't have an ordinary size 12 on hand, but now I'm kind of pondering the 12 mini. Because there's almost no bezel area, the screen on the mini is about the same size as my pixel 3...and honestly, I already have trouble reaching the far corners of the screen with my preferred 1-handed operation (especially as a lefty, since people seem to like to stick buttons in the top-right corner).

Downside to the mini is that there's no "pro" version. You lose the long lens (which I don't care about that much...wide is the big benefit for me), but you also lose the LiDAR sensor and other fancy features.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife had an 11 Pro and went with the 12 Mini for the smaller size, but ended up returning the 12 Mini. The lack of pro features and degradation of camera quality from the 11 Pro was noticeable to her.

I have the 12 Pro Max which is fantastic, but you're right, it's big and the camera sticking out the back is not the most elegant thing in the world. That said, I was a fan of the 5 back in the day with the square edges and this harkens back to that design just blazing fast.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My understanding is that the camera quality should be identical between the pro and non-pro for the normal and wide--same sensors, same lenses.

The only big difference seems to come in the big one (which is off the table). The lidar/and software differences are very condition dependent--in tough scenarios the pro will work better, but it doesn't seem to have a huge effect in everyday nighttime shots. I don't really need fake-portrait-at-night, which seems to be the big place where the lidar matters.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
phones make for a terrible form factor as far as AR goes. I suppose Apple wanted to try its hand at implementing it in a small consumer product and test the waters for new tech adoption. It is now working on AR glasses so having a lidar-enabled compute device in your pocket could be very useful.

CWV

Reaction score
Hi there. My iPhones 6s is finally diy g so I have to update. I don’t care about the cámara, my only care is battery life, size and things I can’t have (3,5 jack and física, home button with fingerprint reader). So I’m between the 11 and 13 mini (and waiting to see if there is a good 13 mini). From your experience which would be better? How much longer does the 11 battery last for a light user?

emptym

Reaction score
I have 12 mini and love it. Battery lasts a long time imo. I charge it every other night or so.

Reactions: otc

emptym

Reaction score
I'd say fairly low to moderate. On average per day, I'm on Safari maybe a half hour, .5-1 hr of calls usually w/ Airpods/Bluetooth, check the weather, unlock a few doors at work, maybe a half hour of Prime music, take a few pics or videos, 1 min of flashlight, 5 mins of Ring doorbell cam. I mostly use my laptop to text, read/send emails, or surf the internet, so the phone doesn't get heavy use. I almost never watch videos on my phone.

I'd say I get at least 2 says, maybe three on average.

CWV

Reaction score
I'd say fairly low to moderate. On average per day, I'm on Safari maybe a half hour, .5-1 hr of calls usually w/ Airpods/Bluetooth, check the weather, unlock a few doors at work, maybe a half hour of Prime music, take a few pics or videos, 1 min of flashlight, 5 mins of Ring doorbell cam. I mostly use my laptop to text, read/send emails, or surf the internet, so the phone doesn't get heavy use. I almost never watch videos on my phone.

I'd say I get at least 2 says, maybe three on average.
Thx. I think I’d get kind of 2 then. I use a bit more than you.

emptym

Reaction score
^I should have mentioned that I pretty much never let it go below 50% too. I used to think you needed to drain them completely before recharging but later found out that that kills the battery.

Thinking of getting an Apple watch 7. I like the new features, and my work now requires that you use your phone or a smartwatch to open pretty much every door (all external doors are locked due to reduced numbers of people on campus due to covid). Plus I have some Costco gift cards from when we switched carriers there last year.

I'm wondering what color to get to be the most unobtrusive. I'm guessing black or the new midnight with a black silicone band. But I've heard the solid silicone isn't very breathable. Anyone have any favorite bands or bracelets?

CWV

Reaction score
So
^I should have mentioned that I pretty much never let it go below 50% too. I used to think you needed to drain them completely before recharging but later found out that that kills the battery.

Thinking of getting an Apple watch 7. I like the new features, and my work now requires that you use your phone or a smartwatch to open pretty much every door (all external doors are locked due to reduced numbers of people on campus due to covid). Plus I have some Costco gift cards from when we switched carriers there last year.

I'm wondering what color to get to be the most unobtrusive. I'm guessing black the new midnight with a black silicone band. But I've heard the solid silicone isn't very breathable. Anyone have any favorite bands or bracelets?
So after 2 days your battery is around 50%?

emptym

Reaction score
Yep. 2-3 days. I just did an experiment. Haven't charged it since Sat morning and now it's 10%. So that's almost 5 full days on a charge. The new 13s seem to have much better batter life too.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm still on an iPhone XR. Feels snappy and the battery has held up well. Apple has reached the point that their phones are so good that the two-year upgrade cycle isn't that appealing anymore.

I thought this was the year I upgrade, but after seeing the 13 I'm not sure it's worth it.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm still on an iPhone XR. Feels snappy and the battery has held up well. Apple has reached the point that their phones are so good that the two-year upgrade cycle isn't that appealing anymore.

I thought this was the year I upgrade, but after seeing the 13 I'm not sure it's worth it.
I'm on a 6S. Battery life sucks (even though it's newer than the phone), and some of the physical features aren't working as well (mainly the ringer switch).

Though my phone has working better since I realized I had like 10 gigs of podcasts downloaded for some reason.

It's not that exciting of an update, but it might be time.

Either that, or I'll see if Costco runs a good deal on the 12.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a 13. I dont know why they hype the pro... or even make it part of their presentation. Unless I'm some instagrammer or movie producer I'm not buying that. (which is probably like .005% of their audience).

Currently on a X so its been 4 years. I'll get $200 back for turning my X in which also helps the upgrade. I think last time in similar situation I did not get much to recycle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads