• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Added Air M1 to the mix as something to drag along around the house and get bits of work done while watching the kiddo while its 16” older brother remains largely in the home office/studio

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to fast forward my plans hearing the announcement that the big HomePod was cancelled. I grabbed another because they started disappearing quick.
I had one in the living room, one in my office, and a mini in my bedroom.
I grabbed another to have a pair in the living room and added the 4K Apple TV.
That set up does Dolby Atmos, and sounds incredible. Takes up no space.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a feeling the OG Homepods will be selling for a lot a few years from now. Apple doesn't have a great track record with speakers, recall the iPod HiFi, but these were legit. Problem I think is as you noted they need to be in stereo pair to really shine and most people just had one in the kitchen or whatever.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do kick quite a bit of ass on their own, but my plan was to box up and clear out my existing home theatre speaker set up. And for that, I did want to do a pair for the living room.
And you're right. They supposedly will be supported into the future with software updates, and the build quality is superb, so I think there will be a strong grey market for them going forward.
My inner Maria Kwando is super stoked. A bunch of speakers, including the 50# sub, out of my living room.
Clean aesthetic, way fewer cables...

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm still sad that the Homepod was canceled. It was a fantastic product only held back by the price. I got mine on sale for $199 and for a while it was easy to find them at that price point. I wish Apple had done a permanent drop to $199 and kept it going to see if sales picked up. You really can't find a better speaker in that price range.

You can still find them at retailers like Best Buy for full price. I may pick up a second to use in stereo before they are gone for good. Ebay resellers have already started jacking the price up since the announcement.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m locked into this iPad Pro upgrade because I just destroyed mine. Would prefer the 11” because I still want to use the practically new Apple keyboard that I have in that size. But honestly I think I kinda want the better screen of the larger size

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an iPhone SE 2020, and am very disappointed in the built-in Calendar function. It is neither intuitive nor easy to use mainly because:
1) While one can customize colors (i.e. "Home" = Green; "Work" = Blue; "Medical" = Red; etc.) in the iCloud calendar, those colors do not then correlate and show up on the monthly "Calendar" view, defeating the purpose somewhat.

2) ALL the calendar dots, regardless of event type, are grey only, which is absurd and confusing. The specified colors do show when opening/looking at the days specifically, but that does not help me know if I have a doctor's appointment (red), work meeting (green) or the plumber is coming (green) next Thursday, etc. It would really help if the little dots were color-coded to match the original entry color.

3) The "US Holidays" calendar is ridiculous. It has every single "special" day known to Apple, apparently. It helps me to know what Federal Holidays are approaching, but I really do not want to have "Earth Day" and "April Fool's Day" etc., also show up on my calendar. I have had to turn off the entire "US Holidays" calendar; it is just far too cumbersome and aggravating.

4) Between the non-color-coded schedule and the over-abundance of "holidays" circa 2/3 of every month has grey dots under a date, and I have no idea, at a glance, what that grey dot signifies.

5) I called Apple CS, normally great, and they said there was nothing I could do..., "That is just how the software is designed...".

QUESTION: Are there third-party, preferably free, good iPhone calendar apps that people here have actually used and can recommend, before I go download some to try out? Is the "Google Calendar" below, for instance, a good one? It looks like it has color-coded dots even on the month?

This is the Apple iPhone SE 2020 calendar I dislike, with all grey-only dots:
IMG_1418.JPG

I am looking for something like this:
Google Calendar.png

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an iPhone SE 2020, and am very disappointed in the built-in Calendar function. It is neither intuitive nor easy to use mainly because:
1) While one can customize colors (i.e. "Home" = Green; "Work" = Blue; "Medical" = Red; etc.) in the iCloud calendar, those colors do not then correlate and show up on the monthly "Calendar" view, defeating the purpose somewhat.

2) ALL the calendar dots, regardless of event type, are grey only, which is absurd and confusing. The specified colors do show when opening/looking at the days specifically, but that does not help me know if I have a doctor's appointment (red), work meeting (green) or the plumber is coming (green) next Thursday, etc. It would really help if the little dots were color-coded to match the original entry color.

3) The "US Holidays" calendar is ridiculous. It has every single "special" day known to Apple, apparently. It helps me to know what Federal Holidays are approaching, but I really do not want to have "Earth Day" and "April Fool's Day" etc., also show up on my calendar. I have had to turn off the entire "US Holidays" calendar; it is just far too cumbersome and aggravating.

4) Between the non-color-coded schedule and the over-abundance of "holidays" circa 2/3 of every month has grey dots under a date, and I have no idea, at a glance, what that grey dot signifies.

5) I called Apple CS, normally great, and they said there was nothing I could do..., "That is just how the software is designed...".

QUESTION: Are there third-party, preferably free, good iPhone calendar apps that people here have actually used and can recommend, before I go download some to try out? Is the "Google Calendar" below, for instance, a good one? It looks like it has color-coded dots even on the month?

View attachment 1598702

View attachment 1598703
Turn your phone sideways? You don't get to see a month at a time but the phone on the right looks too cluttered.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Piobaire would prefer the 12.9”

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turn your phone sideways? You don't get to see a month at a time but the phone on the right looks too cluttered.
Turning the phone sideways doesn't solve the issue I am looking to solve, which is to hopefully replace the all-grey event dots iPhone calendar with a calendar which is somewhat similar but has colored event dots in the month view.

The top photo above shows my iPhone SE with the all-grey dots, very confusing.
The second image shows a "Google Calendar" from the web, hyping the product, so of course it's loaded to the hilt.

My own calendar would never have that many events on it, and would never be that cluttered. I am just looking for the grey dots to be color-correlated with the 3 or 4 colored event types they describe, that's all.

FROM THIS:
Calendar_01.JPG

TO THIS:
Calendar_02.jpg

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantastical is a very good iOS calendar app. There's a 14 day free trial.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1598702

View attachment 1598703
Damn, you found out that Foo made the iCal app?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads