• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My trashcan Mac Pro died today. And out of Applecare. Time to change I think. Probably a Mac Mini; the new iMacs are okay but I already have two decent monitors

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently got a spec'd out 2020 iMac (like four days ago recently), and am really enjoying it. I opted for the Nano screen, which is a huge difference to me now that I'm WFH and my poor eyes were sensitive sitting in front of a monitor all day versus in person. The 5700 XT 16 GB card is blazing, too, for a Mac. I opted for this last run of Intels, since I enjoy running bootcamp with a touch of gamer in my blood. Quite a price increase from the minis to bear in mind, of course.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard there is an April or so release of the new MBP. No more 13”, now 14” standard. Not that I care, I use external monitors about 95% of the time these days.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scissor switch Air has finally arrived. My nightmare is over

I had a Macbook Pro since 2016, when they changed to the awful butterfly keyboard. This was my first Mac and I actually hated it the whole time, not realizing why. I just traded it in for a Macbook Air after reading about how they went back to the scissor mechanism and it is truly life-changing. The Air also is perfect for everything I do (MS Office applications, surfing the web), and relatively inexpensive. Highly recommend.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a Macbook Pro since 2016, when they changed to the awful butterfly keyboard. This was my first Mac and I actually hated it the whole time, not realizing why. I just traded it in for a Macbook Air after reading about how they went back to the scissor mechanism and it is truly life-changing. The Air also is perfect for everything I do (MS Office applications, surfing the web), and relatively inexpensive. Highly recommend.

Yea, I bought one of the new laptops. The L key sometimes malfunctions, but it's a huge improvement over the butterfly. I still have that butterfly laptop, which I use on occasion, and the experience is night and day.

I'm happy to have my old Apple experience back, but admittedly that butterfly thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Got a mac mini. My first brush with the T2 chip was not good, as it blocks the software raid driver from loading. Also migration of my old data killed the internet - the connection was still good, but the browsers etc couldn't reach it. So after an hour on chat support, I had to erase the drive, reinstall and not migrate.

emptym

Reaction score
I mentioned on the DWW thread that I got the iphone mini. So far, so good. Glad they made a smaller one again. My wife's boss got her the airpod pros for Christmas, and the noise cancellation is impressive.

But I might be happiest about our new plan. We switched from Verizon to T-mobile. Verizon was $150/month for two lines and T-Mobile is $120, plus you get Netflix on one device. T-Mobile's service is better in our house than Verizon, and I signed up through Costco, where they're giving out a $200 gift card (after 3 months of paid service) for each line. Since T-mobile has a promo now with a third line for free (supposedly for as long as you have that plan), by combining the promos, you get $600 in gift cards - or we should in three months. No need to buy new phones from them. Seems like a great deal to me.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, this is a relatively quiet thread. Anyway, I was tempted to get a new M1 laptop, but since I won't be travelling for a while, I'll hold off for now. I considered the M1 mini briefly but I like having the 4 TB3 ports at the back, plus it does what I need it for at the moment.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll wait for the new 16" M2 (or whatever) MacBook Pro. Did get an iPhone 12 Pro Max recently and it's pretty sweet.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife's boss got her the airpod pros for Christmas, and the noise cancellation is impressive.
Until it craps out like mine did 1 airpod pro at a time. 1 went out in July, the other at the end of August and then Apple acknowledged the flaw in September or October and made it much easier to replace. Figures.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until it craps out like mine did 1 airpod pro at a time. 1 went out in July, the other at the end of August and then Apple acknowledged the flaw in September or October and made it much easier to replace. Figures.
One of mine had the static noise thing when you walk around. Went to the Apple store and they immediately replaced it.

emptym

Reaction score
Did they replace yours, @jcman311? I'm betting I'll lose one or both before the year warrantee expires. Hopefully not. Thinking of getting one of those behind the ear straps to prevent loss. Anyone have any recommendations for those?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they replace yours, @jcman311? I'm betting I'll lose one or both before the year warrantee expires. Hopefully not. Thinking of getting one of those behind the ear straps to prevent loss. Anyone have any recommendations for those?
They did replace them, it was just annoying to deal with as they only would replace 1, not the whole set. I actually think one of my replacements is already starting to go.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads