• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A long shot, but I'll try here to see if anyone have an idea: I have a problem with my iTunes not being able to change its speaker output. Details behind the spoiler for those that would care to take a crack at it.

From my desktop PC (Windows 7) I'm running iTunes over Airplay - either wireless to the speaker, or (as Airplay sometimes drops out) to the Airport Express, which has a cabled connection to the PC and also is hooked up to the speaker from its own sound output. I don't have the speaker hooked up to the PC's normal sound out, as I have other speakers for that (which allows me to hear what comes out from the PC on the PC speakers, while having iTunes play on the Airplay speaker).

This has worked for years, but after being away from my PC for two weeks it has stopped working. Specifically, when pressing the Airplay logo in iTunes, I have my normal 3 speaker options:

My Computer (which is the output for my PC speakers, which I don't want to use for this)
My A7 (wireless Airplay)
My AEX (my Airport Express)

At the moment 'My Computer' is the chosen output, and no matter which of the other two options I try to select, it won't change the output. I can click them, but it 'doesn't take' - nothing happens - same if I try the 'Multiple Speakers' setting - I won't allow me to change from or add to the 'My Computer' output.

I've restarted the Airport Express, restarted and re-added the Airplay speaker to my wi-fi network (it can still receive music from my phone over Airplay just fine), reinstalled iTunes (I use an older version for reasons, but it has worked for years). I also tried an earlier restore point in Windows, from when it worked normally, but that didn't work either. And I've tried disabling the firewall.

I also followed the suggestions here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5345005 with no change (even though that seemed to be more about the Airplay logo missing than my specific issue).

If anyone have any ideas it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried again doing a fresh install of iTunes (and did a reg cleaning and some scans), but same thing: I'm still not able to change the speaker output. If anybody has any idea on how to fix the problem described in the post above, please chime in. TIA.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experience with the iMac Pro?

I have an aging iMac (2014, 4Ghz i7 processor, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon R9 295X 4GB graphics, and 500 GB SSD), which is striking me as more and more antiquated now that I've converted all my work to WFH.

Thinking about getting the iMac Pro because it seems a ton more spec'd out and looks amazing, but it seems everything Apple desktop is caution or don't buy for a year or so....wondering how much that all matters.

I'm not a graphic artist, but I work with many in the ad industry, and have a penchant for gaming again! So, I'd consider myself a moderate power user if that exists.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
What do you do that is draining your resources? That’s a very decent machine unless you’re trying to run games at 4K 144fps or use chrome with 10,000 tabs open at once

btw switching away from chrome has been great and I have free ram finally

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point. My usual nonsense is Google Chrome definitely with 3-12 tabs, apple messenger, MS Word, MS Outlook, MS PowerPoint, occasionally Excel, lots of photos, lots of pdfs/Adobe Cloud SW...what usually drags it down is embarrassingly Hearthstone (an online card game from Blizzard), and Zoom. MS Teams is smoother.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Question to any HonePod owners. If I use AirPlay 2 to cast audio from Youtube Music or Spotify to the HomePod am I able to then use Siri for basic controls? Think play, pause and stop. I know you can't do the advanced stuff like song look up.

Example use case scenario is I'm casting YouTube Music at night and want to ask Siri to stop playing the songs when I'm ready to go to bed.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LOL. Apple is adding widgets to iPhone. Innovative!

I mean it's a nice addition. but they didn't really do anything special with them. Usually, when Apple drags their feet on a feature they come up with some kind of unique take on it.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha! Missed that homepod question earlier. Not sure if you have one, I have two now, but Siri will turn off, on, skip song, increase/decrease volume, play certain music channels (e.g., Classic Alternative Radio!), but beyond that, really annoying, you can't get the weather etc. Sound quality is good and price point nice for Apple.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
haha! Missed that homepod question earlier. Not sure if you have one, I have two now, but Siri will turn off, on, skip song, increase/decrease volume, play certain music channels (e.g., Classic Alternative Radio!), but beyond that, really annoying, you can't get the weather etc. Sound quality is good and price point nice for Apple.

I ended up buying an open box one in "excellent" condition from Best Buy for $185. Love the SQ coming from the thing and AirPlay 2 works fine for my needs. Perfect small speaker for a bedroom or office IMO. I wouldn't use it as my main system in the living room or anything like that.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh wow. Speak of the devil. Apple just announced third party music services will work with HomePod. I am going to assume that means you can use Siri to voice-control them and play music. I think I will still end up mostly using AirPlay 2 to send my YouTube Music songs to it like I am now, but it's a nice addition to have.

lcimg-c21bf1a0-6458-4788-83de-4e381f85dc79.jpg

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of neat, a bit cluttered and Windows-esque for my liking! I paired two HomePods for good sound, but I don't pretend that a $600 system will compete with audiophile rigs!

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Having a repair done on my MacBook, only for the the apple store to temporarily close due to Covid... with my MacBook still in it.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awkward. what is the remedy there, can they ship it out to you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads