• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks for the recs, @imatlas and @scamster. Unfortunately, both of those are pretty big, bigger than the iPhone 8, which is already a bit too big imo.

@dieworkwear, you don't know the Stonestown Mall? As a half-Asian who teaches an Asian studies class and is married to an Asian, I am hereby revoking your Bay Area Asian membership card. Although, technically, it's the Stonestown Galleria, so maybe I'll let it slide this time.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear, you don't know the Stonestown Mall? As a half-Asian who teaches an Asian studies class and is married to an Asian, I am hereby revoking your Bay Area Asian membership card. Although, technically, it's the Stonestown Galleria, so maybe I'll let it slide this time.

Damn, I just looked it up. I am continually a shame to my ancestors.

emptym

Reaction score
Stonestown is like 90% Asian. Btw speaking of Bay Area Asians, did you know that Bruce Lee was actually mixed, something like 1/8-3/8 European heritage? I just heard that yesterday.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stonestown is like 90% Asian. Btw speaking of Bay Area Asians, did you know that Bruce Lee was actually mixed, something like 1/8-3/8 European heritage? I just heard that yesterday.

Huh, didn't know that. I'm sure like everyone, I was a big fan of Bruce Lee as a kid, but my knowledge of him is still pretty superficial.

I've lived here for so long, but I also still haven't been to San Jose for Vietnamese food. Vietnamese friends of mine say I have to try it. Sometimes I think about taking my parents there when they visit, but it also seems like such a drive.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
back in may my 2015 mbp keyboard was suddenly not responsive, so I took it to the store and they disconnected and reconnected it. worked fine for a week then stopped as soon as I reached Milan...

went in again second time. they said to replace it would cost 90gbp, mostly labor cost. but as my screen gloss coating had worn off, and it is covered under lifetime warranty, they said they will replace the screen for free and then the labor for the keyboard/trackpad could be included so I was just charged 9gbp. it ended up working , but then my battery started draining when the lid was closed.

third visit to the store...they suggested I replace the battery, very coincidental that the drainage started as soon as they replaced a cable. so I paid 200gbp for new battery and labor. picked up the machine in a week. seemed to work fine. I went on another trip and suddenly the laptop would not power on at all. the charging cable light would turn green but the rest of the computer remained unresponsive, as in even the trackpad haptic feedback did not work.

after returning, fourth visit to the apple store. they said since they replaced the battery they did not know if it was their fault or not, and the motherboard was fried so they offered to replace the motherboard for free. picked up the laptop a week later. at this point, I have a new screen, new keyboard, new trackpad, the whole top case is new since they include that in the keyboard replacement, a new motherboard...only thing that is the same is the hard disk. but the battery draining issue persisted.

fifth visit to the apple store. the guy looked through the repair history and said, "this is ridiculous -- give me a few minutes." he went to the back, spoke to his manager, and returned saying, "I have no idea how to fix your computer so instead I will just give you a new 2019 MacBook Pro and upgrade it to a quad core model , but RAM and hard disk specs will be the same."
yesterday I went in a picked it up, the guy was there and said none of his colleagues believed him that this was happening so he had me show them the machine in the new sealed box.

But now I have this useless TouchBar (but turns out it can be made useful) and weird keyboard...

speaking of keyboards, the Happy Hacking Keyboard is the most luxurious typing experience I've ever had the pleasure of clicking away on. It's a mechanical keyboard but rather quiet, just a lot of buttery smooth travel. makes the emacs experience amazing

emptym

Reaction score
I wonder if the new, foldable Motorola Razr is the small phone I've been looking for. I loved my Razr 20 yrs ago.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have a HomePod? I avoided it originally at $349, but there are some excellent sales going on right now. Best Buy has it for $199 and I’ve seen a some rumblings that people are finding it for $149 at Costco.

Seems worth it right? I use an Echo Dot and don’t really care about HomePod’s smart device capabilities. Would use it as a speaker in my bedroom.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, but I have a 8" Lenovo smart display in my kitchen and having the screen is nice

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this:

Basically says that Apple will give you $20 off the cost of a new Macbook charger if you book an appt via the Genius Bar.

Another question....so my MacBook Air charger is no longer working. I used a friend’s charger to test and it’s def my charger.

SHould I buy the 45W replacement or the 85W MagSafe.....for the same price? I figure that I can have have larger W charger in case I get a MacBook Pro that can use it. Or does it matter as the newer macs use the MagSafe 2 chargers?

Thanks.

Bolibol

Reaction score
Anyone have a HomePod? I avoided it originally at $349, but there are some excellent sales going on right now. Best Buy has it for $199 and I’ve seen a some rumblings that people are finding it for $149 at Costco.

Seems worth it right? I use an Echo Dot and don’t really care about HomePod’s smart device capabilities. Would use it as a speaker in my bedroom.

I bought it two months ago, and I love it.
Great sound. I'm even using it with my apple tv. It's not optimal but still better then TV-speakers. I don't use a lot of smart features, just controlling my philips hue lights and apple tv, asking about the weather and setting alarms/timers. And for my use it's perfect.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
YES SPEAK TRUTH TO POWER

I just got a new MacBook Pro, and after all your posts I'm afraid to type on it, so I browse StyFo on my $150 Chromebook.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got a new MacBook Pro, and after all your posts I'm afraid to type on it, so I browse StyFo on my $150 Chromebook.

I'm still waiting for the Air update.

Honestly, this keyboard is the bane of my existence. Absolutely awful and slows down my productivity every day. I hate it so much. Sometimes I use an external keyboard and am reminded of how much I hate this laptop keyboard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads