1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. akatsuki

akatsuki Distinguished Member

Performance is roughly 2011-12 macbook air level. So shouldn't be that bad.

Use uBlock - much lighter weight.

I used to run a Hackintosh, but got sick of trying to keep everything working (sound drivers in particular seemed to be a pain).

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

It is not unreasonable to expect this laptop to handle web browsing seamlessly. This is supposed to be the laptop for light users like myself. It's just much more underpowered than I had anticipated.

Thanks, will check it out. Ain't no one got time for YouTube ads.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

3. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

It seems to be painless so far, there are some useful tools to semi automate installation. I followed the instruments for a particular build, buying pretty much the exact equipment. I'm currently still at 10.9.4 having done a couple of manual updates, each time having to just reinstall the audio drivers. It's been fun - I regard it as a slight diversion between iMacs, I'll probably get a 'proper' Mac again with the next iteration of the retina iMac. You don't get Time Machine (or at least it's too temperamental) but so far I've been okay with using Carbon copy for scheduled backups.

4. NaTionS

NaTionS Distinguished Member

So according to benchmarks, the 1.1 GHz model is roughly equivalent to a 2011 MBA while the 1.2 GHz MB has performance that's similar to a 2014 MBA. Seems like that .1 GHz makes a bigger difference than I'd thought. I'll try out my base model for a week or so and decide if I want to shell out the extra $300 for the faster one or even keep it at all.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/13/1-2-ghz-retina-macbook-geekbench/

5. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

If there's a similar performance bump from the 1.2 to 1.3 GHz processors I'll probably be kicking myself for not spending the extra $150 to bump up the processor. On the other hand, I was tired of waiting and didn't want to spend another four weeks waiting on the computer.

6. GreenFrog

Mistaking your USB-C charger for your lighting cable and vice versa.

#EarlyAdopterProblems

7. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

Stopped in at an Apple Store in DC. The Watch looks better than I expected, and it does a lot, but I wasn't persuaded to place an order particularly after I learned it doesn't track sleep patterns. Sales guys were atrocious, but I did enjoy seeing the thing.

8. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

That's because you have to charge it at night!

I saw them through a window today... Looked better than I expected after that review posted on the last page, but I wasn't very interested.

9. ethanm

ethanm Stylish Dinosaur

Why in the world would anyone need to track their sleep patterns?

10. dcg

dcg Distinguished Member

Walked into a store today, and it was basically an all out assault to get people to buy an Apple watch. Pretty off-putting.

I will say that the form factor of the new Macbook is great. Keyboard and trackpad are a little different, but I don't think either would take long to get used to. May need to get one in a few generations.

11. GreenFrog

The macbook is growing on me. I think I'm going to end up keeping, but i have this nagging feeling that the 1.2 or 1.3 model may have been worth the upgrade fee.

Not having to hear my old MBA's god awful fan has been a godsend :inlove:

And force-touching browser links for previewing is AMAZING. I use it all the fucking time.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

12. NaTionS

NaTionS Distinguished Member

Still waiting for mine... Sucks when you order on a Thursday, pay for express shipping, but won't get it until the next Monday because UPS doesn't do Saturday deliveries

13. GreenFrog

I know dat feel brah. Sounds like you'll have it tomorrow tho!

Really hoping I get my watch delivered this Friday. I took the day off to accept delivery :embar:

14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

How often are you guys upgrading your laptops?

15. nootje

nootje Distinguished Member

I don't post in this thread that much for this very reason. My previous thinkpad laptops where on a two year cycle, since switching to mba's im on a 4 to 5 year one. They just last a lot longer for me..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015